1 to 6 or 6 to 1?

What's Hot
TanninTannin Frets: 5418
Let's settle this once and for all. I regularly see people write a chord ... let's say an Am ... as x 0 2 2 1 0 and just as regularly see it written 0 1 2 2 0 x.  Which is correct?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    edited May 2021
    Am is x02210
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    Tannin said:
    Let's settle this once and for all. I regularly see people write a chord ... let's say an Am ... as x 0 2 2 1 0 and just as regularly see it written 0 1 2 2 0 x.  Which is correct?

I don't recall ever seeing it written the 2nd way.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    octatonic said:
    Am is x02210
    I've never seen it written any other way.  Maybe in Australia where they give the cricket scores the wrong way round...

What has always puzzled me about the open Am - or the open A come to that, is why the bottom E string is always shown muted.  
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    Neill said:
    Maybe in Australia where they give the cricket scores the wrong way round...

Due to the coriolis effect no doubt ;)
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1278
    edited May 2021
    Neill said:

What has always puzzled me about the open Am - or the open A come to that, is why the bottom E string is always shown muted.  
    Because that’s an Am/E chord, or A/E chord.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    edited May 2021
    Neill said:
    octatonic said:
    Am is x02210
    I've never seen it written any other way.  Maybe in Australia where they give the cricket scores the wrong way round...

Because you'd be inverting the chord by putting the 5th at the bottom. It would be fine if you have a bass player holding down the tonic below you, but otherwise wouldn't sound like a simple Am but would be Am second inversion.  
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5418
    Thanks Stratman. I'm used to seeing it the first way but lately I've been on an invitation-only Facebook group related to a course I'm doing and several people have been using the second style. I wondered if it was an Americanism. Anyway, it was doing my head in. Thanks for telling me I'm still (approximately) sane.

PS. We Australians do cricket scores the proper way round, and don't you forget it!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I don't think I've ever seen it the second way.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26943
    I assume noting it backwards would stem from people calling the thin E the "1st string". That's something I've never fully understood tbh, as the low E is first from left to right when you look at a chord chart, and first from top to bottom when you look at a guitar. I guess because TAB shows it from the player's perspective? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    merlin said:
    Neill said:
    octatonic said:
    Am is x02210

Because you'd be inverting the chord by putting the 5th at the bottom. It would be fine if you have a bass player holding down the tonic below you, but otherwise wouldn't sound like a simple Am but would be Am second inversion.  
    Well yes, but I've always considered that open A figure to be inverted, maybe I'm at odds with the community here, but when guitar players are strumming open chords how many make sure that the open (bottom) strings on the A and C chords are always muted or not struck?

Also, I have seen chord charts, and no doubt there are vids, that teach the "easy" way to play first position chords which have the B major played with an F sharp bass - to avoid barring at the second fret.  

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Neill said:
    I've always considered that open A figure to be inverted, maybe I'm at odds with the community here, but when guitar players are strumming open chords how many make sure that the open (bottom) strings on the A and C chords are always muted or not struck?

Me! Especially with an A chord. The second inversion is unstable and generally sounds pretty bad. I'd only ever use it usually if I was playing a chord sequence over a pedal note and otherwise would take a lot of care to avoid it unless it was very much in passing.
  • vizviz Frets: 10689
    edited May 2021
    Stuckfast said:
    Neill said:
    I've always considered that open A figure to be inverted, maybe I'm at odds with the community here, but when guitar players are strumming open chords how many make sure that the open (bottom) strings on the A and C chords are always muted or not struck?

Me! Especially with an A chord. The second inversion is unstable and generally sounds pretty bad. I'd only ever use it usually if I was playing a chord sequence over a pedal note and otherwise would take a lot of care to avoid it unless it was very much in passing.

And just to embellish your point, if the melody is being held in the bass you can use it to great effect. But I would say that’s an extension of your passing-note comment. 

For example, climbing up the E major scale with this progression:

022100 (E, root)
    22444x (B, 2nd inv)
    476454 (E, 1st inv)
    56444x (B7, 3rd inv)
    77999x (E, 2nd inv)
    9 12 11 9 10 9 (A, 1st inv)
    11 14 13 11 12 11 (B, 1st inv)
    12 14 14 13 12 12 (E, root)

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • yockyyocky Frets: 809
    Stuckfast said:
    Neill said:

Presumably slash chords are just inversions?

I've always been confused about why a C/G chord (332010) sounds sweet to my ears but a C/E chord (032010) doesn't. Sounds like the former is a second inversion and the latter is a first inversion. Are second inversions inherently more stable?

However I do always mute the E string when I play an open A because that doesn't sound so good. So why does C/G sound better than A/E? 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    yocky said:Presumably slash chords are just inversions?

I've always been confused about why a C/G chord (332010) sounds sweet to my ears but a C/E chord (032010) doesn't. Sounds like the former is a second inversion and the latter is a first inversion. Are second inversions inherently more stable?

However I do always mute the E string when I play an open A because that doesn't sound so good. So why does C/G sound better than A/E? 
    A slash chord would be the same as an inversion if the bass note is in the chord, yes.

In classical music the first inversion is really important and widely used, whereas the second inversion is rarely used and only in very specific circumstances -- it has a fourth between the bass note and the root which is considered a dissonance in that context.

As to why C/G on guitar should sound better than C/E or A/E, my guess is just that the unfretted open E tends to take over and be the loudest thing in a chord and thus makes it sound unbalanced.