Now I know I'm old

What's Hot

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited May 2021
    I don't recall record tokens either!! But I do remember Book tokens from WH SMITHS and Woolworths and I was always pissed off that I couldn't use them to buy a computer game (for my Acorn Electron) or music. Only books. 

Can only assume they appealed to grandparents who wanted to make sure I didn't buy anything they didn't understand smiley 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4500
    What, in the living shit, is a record token?

You used to take them into Our Price and exchange them for one of the latest entries in the Hit Parade.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    proggy said:
    Bod said:
    I knew I was old when I was forced to watch some of the Brits last night.  What a load of shit.
    You know you're old when you hear that Taylor Swift won the 'Global Icon' award, and you can't name a single one of her songs.

Who's Taylor Swift?

Didn't he recently publish Gulliver's Travels?
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291

You used to take them into Our Price and exchange them for one of the latest entries in the Hit Parade.
    Our Price? A bunch of parvenus. My local one wss previously The Tape Revolution and before that Harlequin Records.

Excuse me, I have to go and find my Zerostat gun. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 538
    Ah dear old Johnny Morris. Impeccably dressed in a safari jacket, carrying a wicker basket, buying cat food.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    I got my first pair of bifocals this week. That reinforced the feeling of no longer being a spring chicken.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    You know you're old when you keep a particular stick in your tool cupboard for stirring paint.
    Just like the one I have.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    You know you're old when you wake up in the morning " Stiff in all the wrong places "
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    HerrMetal said:
    Ah dear old Johnny Morris. Impeccably dressed in a safari jacket, carrying a wicker basket, buying cat food.
    He was great ........I loved Animal Magic.......he always did a great voice for the Lemurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

I remember the excitement of that little stamp and the anticipation of what it would bring..........
    30 minutes of flicking through Album covers with ' far-out' artwork wondering what the contents sounded like because you liked the cover but hadn't heard of the band ....but the name sounded cool
    I remember the anticipation and the record shop street cred ;
    I desperately wanted to trade a token for a Showaddywaddy Album but felt a bit embarrassed because an older boy from my school was in there buying some Proggy Yes Album.........so I picked "Brain Salad Surgery " by Emerson ,Lake and Palmer instead because it had a very cool cover...........and much more cred.
    What a load of shit and disappointment that was when I got it home !

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    The Animal Magic theme was another Laurie Johnson classic.  He did The Avengers and No Hiding Place.  I used to watch No Hiding Place just for the opening credits where that black Wolseley 6/80 goes tearing round a corner with the bells going (that's where the term "bells and whistles" comes from incidentally - the whistle was carried in the glove box). 

But the definitive "You know you're old when..." test is if you remember Sam Kydd.   
    Fantastic bit of music..........should be sampled for hip hop beat
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    Dominic said:
    You know you're old when you wake up in the morning " Stiff in all the wrong places "
    No. You know your old when you wake up stiff in the wrong places and it's not morning yet
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    edited May 2021
    Neill said:
    The Animal Magic theme was another Laurie Johnson classic.  He did The Avengers
    I used to do a guitar cover version of The Avengers Theme when I was in a band at University.  Years later, with another band, I performed it as a medley (do we say 'mash up' these days?  I'm not really down with the kids) with the theme from Fireball XL-5 (composed by Barry Gray).

I'll have to see if I can remember them both.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18726
    Wow, talk about synchronicity. I was going through some vinyl & CD's yesterday & came across this...

1reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8793
    Wow, talk about synchronicity. I was going through some vinyl & CD's yesterday & came across this...

You and @HarrySeven should team up: set up some sort of National Archive.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4669
    Bod said:
    I knew I was old when I was forced to watch some of the Brits last night.  What a load of shit.
    i switched off when Little Mix won best band, at that point i could take no more 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Dominic said:

I caught myself talking to a friendly Pheasant like Johnny Morris the other day .......Jeez, but wasn't Animal Magic great and wasn't the theme tune great too ?
    Doesn’t everyone do that? Our lockdown pup has a ridickalus Brooklyn accent.

My son's teddy bear talks like a harlem pimp. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1174
    Neill said:
    The Animal Magic theme was another Laurie Johnson classic.  He did The Avengers and No Hiding Place.  I used to watch No Hiding Place just for the opening credits where that black Wolseley 6/80 goes tearing round a corner with the bells going (that's where the term "bells and whistles" comes from incidentally - the whistle was carried in the glove box). 

But the definitive "You know you're old when..." test is if you remember Sam Kydd.   
    Came back to me immediately...Orlando.  God I'm old.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4500
    edited May 2021
    You know you're old when you associate the Thomas the Tank Engine stories with Johnny Morris, not Ringo Starr.

(Which you could have bought with a record token.)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom