Now I know I'm old

What's Hot

Comments

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    Age catches up with us all. 

Only recently I saw this wizened frail old lady being helped into the back of a Mini Clubman by a young man.

I thought she looked familiar. Turns out it was Jenny Clare with her great, great grandson. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4085
    proggy said:
    You know you're old when you keep a particular stick in your tool cupboard for stirring paint.
    Just like the one I have.
    Or a supply of sticks for poking stubborn turds down the toilet 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Neill said:
    But the definitive "You know you're old when..." test is if you remember Sam Kydd.   

There were weeks when Sam Kydd was on the telly more than any other human on the planet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Bod said:
    I knew I was old when I was forced to watch some of the Brits last night.  What a load of shit.
    i switched off when Little Mix won best band, at that point i could take no more 

The obvious question to ask is why on earth did you watch in the first place?
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1553
    scrumhalf said:
    What, in the living shit, is a record token?

You used to take them into Our Price and exchange them for one of the latest entries in the Hit Parade.
    Our Price? A bunch of parvenus. My local one wss previously The Tape Revolution and before that Harlequin Records.

Excuse me, I have to go and find my Zerostat gun. 
    Harlequin Records - seriously, I have not heard reference to them for a good 45 years. We had one in Bracknell - if I remember correctly, it sold funky greetings cards as well.

We had loads of shops to buy records then - between Bracknell and Windsor there must have been at least eight (inc WH Smiths and Woolies).

Record Tokens were a regular Christmas and Birthday present, and were always met with 100% enthusiasm rather than a groan - I definitely bought my Rutles LP with one...

So - you know you are old when you read threads like this and reminisce about life when you were ten !!
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 533
    Where was Harlequin Records in Bracknell @SPECTRUM001 ?   I remember David's Records by the covered market. I recall buying Sex Pistols singles there amongst others so it was a while ago!  There was Woolworths, WH Smiths and when Princess Square opened there was an Our Price (or was it HMV?) 
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1553
    As I recall, Harlequin was in a precinct close to a national supermarket (probably Sainsburys ?). 

This will have been around 1975 or 76. I was struggling to remember the name of the independent shop - which you have just provided - David's Records ! My mum used to take me for my haircuts at a small barbers nearby.

But I was really a fan of Revolution Records in Windsor - that's where I bought all my Pistols and Stranglers vinyl. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Dominic said:
    so I picked "Brain Salad Surgery " by Emerson ,Lake and Palmer instead because it had a very cool cover...........and much more cred.
    What a load of shit and disappointment that was when I got it home !

Snap! I bought Tarkus because of the cover. I mean, it was an armadillo-tank, so the music had to be good, right?  I have disliked Emerson, Lake, and Palmer ever since. I was about 12 when I bought the album, so that's 50 years of resentment piled up against them :s
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    Dominic said:
    so I picked "Brain Salad Surgery " by Emerson ,Lake and Palmer instead because it had a very cool cover...........and much more cred.
    What a load of shit and disappointment that was when I got it home !

Snap! I bought Tarkus because of the cover. I mean, it was an armadillo-tank, so the music had to be good, right?  I have disliked Emerson, Lake, and Palmer ever since. I was about 12 when I bought the album, so that's 50 years of resentment piled up against them :s

This thread has turned into the opposite of the 'Worst Cover, Best Album' thread.
    Tarkus did have a quality cover though.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1789
    You know you’re old when you worry the attractive MILF/GILF you’re chatting to may notice the buss pass in your wallet.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1789
    edited May 2021
    Oh and forget the My Salad’s in Brian’s Surgery cover. Debbie Harry’s KooKoo was much better.

https://www.retroavangarda.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/cover-debbie-harry-alien.jpg
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1742
    You're all young uns on here. I remember Green Shield Stamps. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ronnyb said:

Excuse me sonny, I remember the Penny Black.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18385
    proggy said:
    ronnyb said:

Was she the hot one in the Spice Girls?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12258
    When you are on a night out and get it into your head that is a good idea to go to the club that you used to go to as a teenager/early 20s and when you get in there all the honeys look at you as if you have gone there to pick up your kids.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    NelsonP said:
    Ritch kid
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Johnny Morris had a great voice, I can remember him doing a radio travelogue program in the 60s where he did a cruise down the Rhine and he did all the character’s voices. 

We had a local Harlequin Records, had an orange shop sign with a jester on? They eventually got taken over by Our Price I think. 
    proggy said:
    ronnyb said:

Yes.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    proggy said:
    proggy said:
    ronnyb said:

Yes.
    What is this “Spice Girls”? Is it one of the new popular beat combos?