Gluing a big cracked pot

What's Hot
JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 345
Don’t know if anyone can advise me on this -
I bought a very large (900mm dia x 950mm high) stoneware pot at the garden centre today, knowing that it was cracked - major discount!
It is still whole, in one piece and no bits are missing, but there are two cracks, one on each side, going about half way down from the top.  Maximum gap at top rim is about a third of a millimetre.
Two strong lads managed to put it in the back of my SUV without further damage, and it survived the 16 mile journey home.
I would like to strengthen it before taking it out of the car if possible.
Can anyone suggest the best adhesive?
And, given that it’s unlikely that I will be able to get any glue to penetrate the whole of the crack(s), is it better to glue near the start of the crack or at the rim end of the crack where it is widest?
Many thanks for reading, if you got this far (!) -any suggestions very welcome.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12349
    I’d use an epoxy glue, like Araldite. If it’s a decent sized crack that you can actually squeeze some stuff into, it might be worth using an epoxy putty. 
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    look at UV cure glues, that will give them a chance to penetrate into the pot for the best adhesion

• RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    First I’d put a band around the pot because there’s a risk that it will crack apart. It’s not just knocks which can do that. Water, frost, the weight of soil, and even root pressure can do it.

After that I’d try cyanoacrylic glue because it likes to creep into cracks and porous materials. So it can bridge cracks and also strengthen the material at their edges.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18684
    I'd try Marine epoxy to stick the parts together & run a band of copper adhesive tape round the break. It will weather down to look good, strengthen the break and supposedly deter slugs & snails from crossing it.
    Also, as this is a guitar forum, any spare copper tape can be used to line guitar cavities  ;)
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Wire mesh and concrete on the inside of the pot....

you won’t see that once it’s full up with begonias!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 345
    Wow!  Some sensible solutions there guys - thank you all very much.  I’m still mulling over which way to go.  It may depend on how quickly I can get the glue, since the missus wants to use the car asap!  Will also be re-inforcing it one way or another.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    Epoxy.   Use a suction cup to force it into the cracks
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

Pretend it used to belong to your grandad and go on The Repair Shop.

Job done.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    WezV said:
    It might also be worth warming it with a hairdryer - it thins the glue and makes it flow better into cracks and soak into the surface of the material. I doubt there’s much risk of further cracking if it’s already survived being lifted and a car journey.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7282
    I can see that none of you lot are actual musicians cos the right answer is clearly gaffa tape.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    ICBM said:
    WezV said:
    It might also be worth warming it with a hairdryer - it thins the glue and makes it flow better into cracks and soak into the surface of the material. I doubt there’s much risk of further cracking if it’s already survived being lifted and a car journey.
    good point, I almost always use the stuff warm.   often sit my bottles in hot water for a few minutes before mixing
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    Gold, like the Japanese.

"Kintsugi - is the Japanese art of putting broken pottery pieces back together with gold — built on the idea that in embracing flaws and imperfections, you can create an even stronger, more beautiful piece of art."

Or may be not.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 345
    Gold, like the Japanese.

"Kintsugi - is the Japanese art of putting broken pottery pieces back together with gold — built on the idea that in embracing flaws and imperfections, you can create an even stronger, more beautiful piece of art."

Or may be not.
    Lovely idea, but this thing is BIG, might be out of my price range!