Help Using Looper With Software Amp

What's Hot
DoodlegameDoodlegame Frets: 28
Hey, just looking for some advice from the more experienced people using software amps out there...

I'm getting a looper pedal, and- though I have real amps where it can go in the FX loop- I often practice with a Neural DSP amp on my Mac...

I was therefore wondering if it is possible to create an FX loop for a real pedal with a software amp?  I can obviously place the looper before anything else (going into my interface) or after everything else (output of my interface-» looper-» cab), though neither of these are as ideal as an FX loop for me.

If anyone has managed to make this work, please let me know of any suggestions!  It would be super helpful for playing live jazz to be able to have a small setup like this too, using a mac and looper rather than a big amp, though that is if it's possible...

Many thanks :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited May 2021
    I haven't tried this but, as nobody else has answered yet, this might at least set the ball rolling. Not sure if it's any help.

I wonder whether it might be easier to do it all 'in-the-box' and use a software looper VST plugin, rather than coming out of the box to a incorporate a hardware looper, then back into the box 

I did a quick Google and I think there are software looper VSTs that can respond to midi control messages if you want to adjust things on the fly.

I assume you need the looper to go after pre-effects and amp overdrive, but prior to post-effects and cab-sim. Does the Neural DSP plugin have the equivalent of an FX loop? Alternatively can things be switched off within the Neural DSP plugin, so you can have one instance before the looper with just the pre stuff switched on, and another instance after the looper with just the post stuff switched on? Some software amp plugins allow individual elements to be switched on or off, but I don't have experience of Neural DSP.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    It's possible but latency will be your problem.

It seems to me the easiest solution would be to place a stereo looper pedal (Boss, Digitech, etc do good stereo loopers) between the Mac audio output and the power amp / stereo monitors.

Mac > Looper > Amp/Monitors

You wouldn't be able to monitor the looper output from the Mac headphone output with it  set up like this of course.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom