NAD - Marshall content (UPDATE: now NCD)

What's Hot
JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4534
edited June 2021 in Amps
Having only ever owned two amps in my life (a Session Duette 110 and a Vox Adio), I've been feeling for a while that it was time finally to get something decent.  And for various reasons, it would be best if it said 'Marshall' on the front.

So I've watched countless videos of the various small Marshalls (and one or two other things as well), and before lockdown I tried a few in Anderton's.  None of them really quite did it for me, but there were a few videos I kept coming back to; plus, I played through one at the last Woking jam and it was awesome.

And as I turned 50 last year, I wanted something a bit special.  So, long story short, this arrived from eBay today:

Have to say, I think it looks fantastic.

How does it sound, you ask?  That brings me to the favour.

I don't have a cab - yet.  I'm thinking of possibly ordering something from Zilla, but first off I want at least to check it out and make sure it's fully functional.  So - is there anyone in the Reading area who could lend me a small cab for a few days, or would let me bring it round and plug it in?
Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chromatunachromatuna Frets: 368
    That is a thing of beauty!  =)
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72375
    Original, or rehoused? They did make a mini-head version of the 2204, but I’m pretty sure it would have had the later big logo and ‘elephant’ vinyl. Very cool, anyway! Given how much ridiculously wasted space there is in the full-size heads…

Be careful with the voltage and impedance selectors. That type are not reliable and ideally need to be either replaced with rotary switches or hardwired and the caps removed. (I prefer to connect one speaker jack each to the 8 and 16-ohm taps.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4534
    ICBM said:
    Original, or rehoused? They did make a mini-head version of the 2204, but I’m pretty sure it would have had the later big logo and ‘elephant’ vinyl. Very cool, anyway! Given how much ridiculously wasted space there is in the full-size heads…

Be careful with the voltage and impedance selectors. That type are not reliable and ideally need to be either replaced with rotary switches or hardwired and the caps removed. (I prefer to connect one speaker jack each to the 8 and 16-ohm taps.)
    Rehoused - it's actually a chassis from a 2104 combo.  Think it's just a homemade job - but you can't really tell until you get close up.

If it works out, I have a Metro FX loop that I plan to have fitted (sorry, purists), so I could request they do your suggestions at the same time.

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited May 2021
    Congrats! That will be very rock and roll. Sadly I don't live near enough to you anymore (E London now). Could be worth just going to a rehearsal room with a decent cab for an hour, that way you can crank it up too.
  • cosmiccarrotcosmiccarrot Frets: 91
    edited May 2021
    ICBM said:
    Original, or rehoused? They did make a mini-head version of the 2204,
    Wow I was never aware of this, do you remember the model number by any chance?

Looks great I saw this on ebay, it will sound great but might need a powerbrake or the likes. I'd get a used 2x12 and fit a G12H and maybe a creamback (used, save braking them in).

ICBM said:
    Original, or rehoused? They did make a mini-head version of the 2204,
    Wow I was never aware of this, do you remember the model number by any chance?

Looks great I saw this on ebay, it will sound great but might need a powerbrake or the likes. I'd get a used 2x12 and fit a G12H and maybe a creamback (used, save braking them in).

The small version is the 2204S.

A 2x12 would be nice, but living in a first-floor flat with a narrow winding staircase up to it, it's not really practical atm.  I'm thinking more along the lines of a Zilla ported, or possibly the Studio Vintage cab might be an option.

And yes, I might need an attenuator if I want to use it at home...

Congrats! That will be very rock and roll. Sadly I don't live near enough to you anymore (E London now). Could be worth just going to a rehearsal room with a decent cab for an hour, that way you can crank it up too.
    You back now?  Last I heard you were stuck in South Africa.  Good thinking on the rehearsal room thing.

• cosmiccarrotcosmiccarrot Frets: 91
    edited May 2021

The small version is the 2204S.

A 2x12 would be nice, but living in a first-floor flat with a narrow winding staircase up to it, it's not really practical atm.  I'm thinking more along the lines of a Zilla ported, or possibly the Studio Vintage cab might be an option.

And yes, I might need an attenuator if I want to use it at home...
    Well you live and learn, thanks for that, 2204S.

Personally I've never liked ported cabs although I do like the open back of a combo. I'd go for a used Studio vintage then, although your amp is loud so I'm not sure what speaker you'd get as at some stage I would imagine you'd use it live/band situation..
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    If portability is an issue it might be worth looking at a barefaced audio 1x12. I have been looking at these for a while. There are more expensive than other options but seem to be small, light and good sounding 
    edited May 2021
    The Barefaced ones are very nice, but too narrow, and you'll get the Stonehenge effect.  The SV112 is almost wide enough - probably barely noticeable - but I've just seen the price...

• NerineNerine Frets: 2164
    Now THAT is very cool. 

Nice! 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    Awesome, looks like the head version of the 2104 combo which is probably the best Marshall I've ever played! Would love one of these and the small box enclosure is great.
    Took @Winny_Pooh 's advice and booked an hour at a studio.  Once we'd got in the door (why do these things always happen at Pirate studios?), plugged it into a Marshall 4x12 and gave it a blast.

All I can say is...

The hunt for a cab now begins.  :)

• EmielEmiel Frets: 214
    Wow, I'd love to have that!! These amps really sound best with the master up high, Johan Segeborn has a nice video about it.

Pair it with some Greenbacks or G12-65s, the latter are a bit more middy and smoother. 
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1015
    edited May 2021
    What about a good old fashioned Marshall 1912? Simple, small and very available. @FelineGuitars had a pair of empty ones for sale a while ago, although I imagine that they are gone now.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    What about a good old fashioned Marshall 1912? Simple, small and very available. @FelineGuitars had a pair of empty ones for sale a while ago, although I imagine that they gone now.
    All gone I'm afraid

I favour the Mesa Thiele cabs for my own use now (have Celestion sidewinders in them), although a vertical 2x12 from Zilla would be cool

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    What about a good old fashioned Marshall 1912? Simple, small and very available. @FelineGuitars had a pair of empty ones for sale a while ago, although I imagine that they gone now.

One should never buy a Marshall 1912, They are really boxy sounding next to a better cabinet.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72375
    Modulus_Amps said:

One should never buy a Marshall 1912, They are really boxy sounding next to a better cabinet.
    There's a surprising difference between the ply ones and the MDF ones. The ply ones aren't bad at all - the MDF ones are terrible.

That said, the best I ever heard one sound was a ply one with an EV, used with a Trace Elliot AH150 for a super-compact bass rig...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    I nearly bought this when it popped up but I couldn’t justify having two of them.

I use mine with a Zilla Fatbaby. Sounds great.

Speaker wise, I’ve tried Neo Creambacks, V30’s and old blackbacks.  Maybe a bit odd but I really like the V30 with it. 
    Yeah, the thought of lugging 20-25 kg of 2x12 up and down my stairs is not attractive.  The only candidate I think would be a Matrix NL212, but they're hard to come by.  Hence looking at 1x12 cabs for the time being - light and portable is the thing at the mo.  So, something like the Zilla ported or SV112.  Speaker-wise, I'm intrigued by the newish Neo V-Type.

• EmielEmiel Frets: 214
    Don't rule out the Neo Creamback, that's a great speaker. The JMP MV's are quite aggressive sounding amps, Greenbacks help to tame it a bit...

And dibs if you'd ever consider selling that amp! :open_mouth: