Travel to Germany from UK banned

What's Hot
ColsCols Frets: 3735
Germany is closing its borders to travellers from the UK from Sunday.

German citizens and residents, plus people with an exceptional reason, can still enter - but need to quarantine for 2 weeks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 5621
    Can you provide a source for this? I’m not disputing it. I just want to read more about the subject.
    Known here as Old Misery Guts or the Big Bad Classified's Sheriff. Also guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ColsCols Frets: 3735
    The Beeb.  Haven’t seen it elsewhere.

I’m wondering how it works if, say, somebody flies into another Schengen Zone country and then enters Germany across a land border.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-57210425
    Yes, I’ve seen the BBC article, but my relatives in Berlin still haven’t heard about it.
    Known here as Old Misery Guts or the Big Bad Classified's Sheriff. Also guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 12287
    There's a NY Times article on line saying Germany thinks we are an area of concern. 
    Inhale away Jackson Jeffrey Jackson. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 6699
    There's a NY Times article on line saying Germany thinks we are an area of concern. 
    Good, I'm glad at least they are taking our situation more seriously than our government have
    I want to be forgotten, and I don't want to be reminded
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 2300
    edited May 22
    Good, I'm glad at least they are taking our situation more seriously than our government have
    Exactly. This is what should have happened with flights from India
    to the UK. The whole world could see it except the [admin edit - personal insult deleted] making the decisions.
    Chris.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Please remember that we don’t like personal insults, especially when made about someone who can’t reply. Our esteemed leader may, or may not, be a “dopey cunt”, but it lowers the tone of the forum to say so.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Germany has prohibited all travellers from India since the end of last month (except German citizens, who have to quarantine).  We’re still permitting direct flights from India with hotel quarantine...
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 6699
    Roland said:
    Please remember that we don’t like personal insults, especially when made about someone who can’t reply. Our esteemed leader may, or may not, be a “dopey cunt”, but it lowers the tone of the forum to say so.
    May was the previous leader
    I want to be forgotten, and I don't want to be reminded
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 19381
    Roland said:

It's also far easier and 100% accurate to call him a liar instead. 
    Now accepting applicants for the position of Minister for Being Reasonable Until Questioned. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 1625
    Interesting this. 

7 Day average deaths per million
    UK - 0.49 
    Germany - 13.29 (2,700% higher)

Cases in last 7 days
    UK - 8,332
    Germany - 50,002 (600% higher)

Germany, as with many other EU countries have had the "Indian" variant in their country for as along as the UK, infact it is believed to be in over 40-50 countries already. The UK however has one of the most advanced genome testing capabilities in the world so it will typically spot more cases. Also the UK is doing extensive surge testing in areas where the variant is detected, picking up infections in A-symptomatic people. I don't know how many other countries are doing this? It is however a fact that whatever variant, where ever it emeges, if it has a higher infection rate, it will eventually become the dominate variant globally. 

Given the evidence is suggesting the vaccine protects against any sever disease from this variant and the UK death numbers are supporting this, I'd say this is more to do with Germany's failure to vaccinate its most vulnerable quick enough, than it is the UK being some actual threat. 

Good to remember also Germany is on the UK's Amber list, meaning 10 days of quarantine and c£300 in testing fees if you go there and the Gov's advice is not to go. Germany have effectively placed the same restrictions on the UK. I'm not saying this is "political" but it would be nieve to not consider it. Pre Covid, the UK was responsible for c75m tourist visits to the EU per year, and the UK Gov has put the majority of EU countries on the Amber list, and publically announced again less than a week ago, "do not travel to these countries.". This will have a big ecconomic impact on the EU. The question is then, why have Germany placed this restriction on the UK, a country that benefits the least from UK tourism, yet the EU are saying holiday makers can travel to Greece with no restrictions, if you've had the vaccine? 

My wife is 40 and in good health, she had her jab on Friday. Her mum lives in Sweden, 79, has an ongoing heart condition, had heart surgery 12 months ago, is on all sorts of medication.... hasn't even been offered a date for a jab yet. Her Dr doesn't know when she might be. It's an absolute shambles. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Quite possibly.  Germany’s infection rates are currently undeniably higher than the UK’s.  On the face of it, it seems strange to ban travel from a country of low overall case numbers.

It’s curious that the ban on arrivals from the UK hasn’t been widely reported in Germany though.  One would’ve thought that if it was simply a case of political point scoring, the authorities would be shouting it from the rooftops.

Overall, I think it’s more likely that Germany is simply taking a much more serious view of the India variant than the UK.  They restricted travel from India at an earlier date, then banned arrivals entirely (which we still haven’t done), and are now blocking arrivals from another country (us) where the variant has entered community transmission.  

One could liken it to a fire which has been started.  You can either:

1.  Continue to feed fuel to the fire (leave the borders open)
    2.  Stop feeding it and hope it dies out (borders closed)
    3.  Stop feeding it and try to stamp it out.

Germany is doing number 3.  They’re quarantining entire tower blocks where one case has been detected.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-57164317
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 2198
    I don't think that any government is imposing these travel bans lightly, although there does appear to be a staggering degree of incompetence in the handling of the situation.  There has been a lot of focus from the media around tourism but the bans are hitting business, not just the travel industry but all sorts of businesses that operate across boarders.

Before retirement I worked for a multinational company.  I would travel across Europe at least once per month together with some intercontinental travel.  After the crash of 2008 we drastically cut travel in the coming year.   At first we were quite happy with that because, whilst it supposedly broadens the mind, business travel is frankly a pain in the backside.  The following year we ended up travelling more than ever because things had slid so much during the travel moratorium.

Covid, and Brexit, are going to bring about a change in the way we work and I fear that the writing is on the wall for my old uk based team.

In the short term, in order to have anything like free travel between two countries, the infection rates in both countries will need to be roughly equal (including variants of concern).  If there is an imbalance in rates then the country with the lower rate is bound to place restrictions in inbound travel meaning either tests or quarantine.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 132
    As someone inclined to err on the side of caution in all things Covid, I can see where Germany is coming from.

But I've been surprised that Germany (and France) are unlocking their societies at a such a relatively early stage in their current epidemic waves. They are getting there with vaccines, Germany 39% of people vaccinated once and France 32%. c.f. UK 55% but it seems a bit keen to risk rising disease levels and risk a 3rd Summer of woe next year.

I hope there is no politics involved here. I suspect not. They need this to finish. And we need a fully functioning Europe to trade with and travel to.

If I were in charge of the entire European continent, I would put a complete embargo on 'travel for pleasure' across UK and Europe until next Summer.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1125
    edited May 23
    Indeed.  We wouldn't want our Government to make decisions based on the real data would we?  Even SAGE's propaganda wing has had to concede what those of us who analyse the daily stats figured out several days ago:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57214596
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 9643
    Barnezy said:
    Interesting this. 

7 Day average deaths per million
    UK - 0.49 
    Germany - 13.29 (2,700% higher)

Cases in last 7 days
    UK - 8,332
    Germany - 50,002 (600% higher)

Germany, as with many other EU countries have had the "Indian" variant in their country for as along as the UK, infact it is believed to be in over 40-50 countries already. The UK however has one of the most advanced genome testing capabilities in the world so it will typically spot more cases. Also the UK is doing extensive surge testing in areas where the variant is detected, picking up infections in A-symptomatic people. I don't know how many other countries are doing this? It is however a fact that whatever variant, where ever it emeges, if it has a higher infection rate, it will eventually become the dominate variant globally. 

Given the evidence is suggesting the vaccine protects against any sever disease from this variant and the UK death numbers are supporting this, I'd say this is more to do with Germany's failure to vaccinate its most vulnerable quick enough, than it is the UK being some actual threat. 

Good to remember also Germany is on the UK's Amber list, meaning 10 days of quarantine and c£300 in testing fees if you go there and the Gov's advice is not to go. Germany have effectively placed the same restrictions on the UK. I'm not saying this is "political" but it would be nieve to not consider it. Pre Covid, the UK was responsible for c75m tourist visits to the EU per year, and the UK Gov has put the majority of EU countries on the Amber list, and publically announced again less than a week ago, "do not travel to these countries.". This will have a big ecconomic impact on the EU. The question is then, why have Germany placed this restriction on the UK, a country that benefits the least from UK tourism, yet the EU are saying holiday makers can travel to Greece with no restrictions, if you've had the vaccine? 

My wife is 40 and in good health, she had her jab on Friday. Her mum lives in Sweden, 79, has an ongoing heart condition, had heart surgery 12 months ago, is on all sorts of medication.... hasn't even been offered a date for a jab yet. Her Dr doesn't know when she might be. It's an absolute shambles. 
    UK does 50% of all the variant testing in the world

Therefore announcements on how much of each new variant is in the public are usually made in the UK first, and then other countries panic and start locking down travel from the UK, even when it's extremely likely or confirmed that they already have the variant in their country anyway

We saw this for previous new variants

I don't even care about not going to Germany, but it shows how dumb some countries can be. Cases are 4 times lower here than in Germany. People should be allowed to travel if they quarantine properly.

The vaccines do work against the Indian variant, and we have the second highest vaccination rate in the world, we are 2 months ahead of Germany on vaccines, and the other EU countries are far further behind. I don't really see how banning travel from the UK is going to reduce risk in Germany.  As stated, determined travellers could cross their land borders anyway.

• That's one way to make the trains run on time!
    My band: TACOMA NARROWS BRIDGE DISASTER
    Trading feedback: https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/147077/
    I like Japanties. Not the forum Road Warrior.
    siremoon said:
    Indeed.  We wouldn't want our Government to make decisions based on the real data would we?  Even SAGE's propaganda wing has had to concede what those of us who analyse the daily stats figured out several days ago:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57214596
    60% effective, unless you’re one of the fortunate ones who got the Pfizer shot.

It’s good news, but describing it as “highly effective” is over-egging the pudding somewhat.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 12287
    I thought at the time we first knew about the Indian variant we didn’t know what the vaccines would do and there were stories about people dying who had been vaccinated in India. 
    A pro active stance on managing flights from India ( including via Turkey) seemed required yet that took over a week. And there are people in the U.K. seriously ill in hospital with this now as well ( they may be mostly vaccine deniers but the general level of herd immunity had been protecting them). It seems more like we’ve just about got away with it rather than having followed the data. 

Inhale away Jackson Jeffrey Jackson. 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 2198
    edited May 23
    Cols said:
    60% effective, unless you’re one of the fortunate ones who got the Pfizer shot.

It’s good news, but describing it as “highly effective” is over-egging the pudding somewhat.
    When these vaccines were first being developed 60% effective against the original strain would have been considered success.  To still be achieving this level of protection against new strains without the need for a 'tweak' is a very positive result.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom