Songs that you hate to play

What's Hot
Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
Bad Company - Can't Get Enough
Free - All Right Now

These songs can do one as far as I'm concerned.  I've heard, and possibly played them, too many times.

What are your bugbears?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5427
    My bugbears? People who read a thread and straight away copy it with another one on the same subject.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9714
    Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton. I used to have to accompany my dad who sings at various local charity concerts and stuff and he always seemed to want to do that song as his "serious" number. So I had to play it with a serious look on my face and not yawn my face off in boredom, and not roll my eyes and cringe at the many awful lyrics phrases he was singing. Urgh
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    I play in 2 bands.  One band plays all the standards (inc Mustang Sally, Brown Eyed Girl, All Right Now - you get the picture), the other band trys to avoid all of these.  We still want to do stuff that people enjoy, just not stuff that has been done to death. This second band also plays to a much higher standard.  Band number one I'm the big fish in the small pool, band number two I have to work hard to keep up. There is only one song common to both bands.

With both bands being so different I have no wish to try to make either something that they are not.  I just enjoy them for what they are.

Rather than calling them 'Band One' and 'Band Two' I may start calling them 'The Band With Lots of Bookings' and 'The Band With None'.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    Wonderful Tonight.

It got to the point where I’d do a Les Dawson on the guitar line just to make my contempt for the song completely clear.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9714
    Rowby1 said:
    Wonderful Tonight.

It got to the point where I’d do a Les Dawson on the guitar line just to make my contempt for the song completely clear.
    I genuinely wouldn't hear anything different to the actual thing if you did. Really hate h that one too but gladly never had to play it
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1559
    Brown Eyed Girl, American Pie, Dance The Night Away….

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4774
    I used to play in a '70s proggie covers band. We had a policy of supporting everyone in the band when it came to choice of material. Sometimes there would be something you didn't like personally, but you'd support it because the others wanted to play it. Which is how I came to be playing "Afterglow". What a dirge... 

Oh, and I hate playing Brown-Eyed Girl, Mustang Sally and Dirty Old Town, too. 
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    Musicwolf said:
    I play in 2 bands.  One band plays all the standards (inc Mustang Sally, Brown Eyed Girl, All Right Now - you get the picture), the other band trys to avoid all of these.  We still want to do stuff that people enjoy, just not stuff that has been done to death. This second band also plays to a much higher standard.  Band number one I'm the big fish in the small pool, band number two I have to work hard to keep up. There is only one song common to both bands.

With both bands being so different I have no wish to try to make either something that they are not.  I just enjoy them for what they are.

Rather than calling them 'Band One' and 'Band Two' I may start calling them 'The Band With Lots of Bookings' and 'The Band With None'.

Oh FFS! Is this the sad reality of cover band life.  I'm trying to move us away from your band one type stuff, to your band two type stuff.   I think that some songs just need to be laid to rest, or at least be able to die with dignity,
    Musicwolf said:

Oh FFS! Is this the sad reality of cover band life.  I'm trying to move us away from your band one type stuff, to your band two type stuff.   I think that some songs just need to be laid to rest, or at least be able to die with dignity,
    I'm sure that you can be successful with type 2 band - as long as you look at everything from the perspective of the audience rather than the band.  Find songs that are;

Loved by the audience
    Less well covered
    which you enjoy playing

Never, ever, keep a song that repeatedly isn't working because you like playing it.  There's a place for playing songs that only you like - and that's at home.

The problem with getting gigs can be that, for things like parties, people judge you on your set list (unless they've already seen you).  You inevitably get the "I like your set, but can you play 'Sex on Fire'?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    Usual suspects, Sweet Child O Mine, Wonderwall, Sweet Home Alabama etc cos I'm a tutor and have to play it with so many students, sometimes in the same day!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8703
    Musicwolf said:
    ... songs that are;

Loved by the audience
    Less well covered
    which you enjoy playing
    That’s my approach. There are plenty of well known and well liked songs which many covers bands don’t play. Usually that’s because they’re not guitar led songs, or because they’re a little more complicated than the usual. 
    What are your bugbears?
    Songs which other band members don’t play properly. Mangled bass lines and wrong chords are common culprits. With the current band I enjoy Nina Simone’s Feeling Good as a cool down song at the end of the evening. However, in a previous band, we had a bass player who couldn’t handle the bass line.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    The Chain by Fleetwood Mac
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    The Chain by Fleetwood Mac
    I thought that would be a delight to play?
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1342
    Chasing Cars - the band play it as people love it but jeez....
  • Happy, makes me very unhappy 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    blood and thunder by mastodon....the rest of my band love it but its such a fucking terrible song. The original is horribly out of time and the riffs, especially the chorus one is mega derpy. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    Roland said:
    Musicwolf said:
    ... songs that are;

Loved by the audience
    Less well covered
    which you enjoy playing
    That’s my approach. There are plenty of well known and well liked songs which many covers bands don’t play. Usually that’s because they’re not guitar led songs, or because they’re a little more complicated than the usual. 
    What are your bugbears?
    Songs which other band members don’t play properly. Mangled bass lines and wrong chords are common culprits. With the current band I enjoy Nina Simone’s Feeling Good as a cool down song at the end of the evening. However, in a previous band, we had a bass player who couldn’t handle the bass line.
    I hate this too, we used to do a version of wicked game pretty close to the HIM version. Its a piss easy song to play but because the bassist at the time thought it was "too easy" he just butchered it terribly..even though the fucking thing is pretty much jsut straight bth, 3 chords, driving rhythm..

I really hate the kinda elitism guitarists have when they think they need to be playing right at the edge of their ability all the fucking time or its not worth doing. Im convinced a lot of people dont actually listen to the music they are making as a band while they play and jsut listen to their own instrument....in fact I know they do as our drummer IEM setting on the PA are basically ALL THE FUCKING DRUMS at 100% and a tiny bit of vocals..despite the fact the drums are already the loudest thing in the room.

Anyway..rant over..I hate blood and thunder. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    dont worry be happy by bobby mcferrin and crazy by gnarls barclay. both decent songs but i find they dont fit our style and rest of the set.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663

What are your bugbears?
    Sinister experiments creating Insect/mammal hybrids.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    HAL9000 said:

What are your bugbears?
    Sinister experiments creating Insect/mammal hybrids.

'The Bug-Bears' sounds like a great name for either a Rockabilly band or 60's style Beat Combo.  I'm laying claim to it.

You can keep 'The Insect Mammal Hybrids' for a Prog Rock or Jazz Fusion ensemble.