Favourite chair/seat/stool for playing long hours in the studio?

What's Hot
Does anyone have a preferred practice seat for playing guitar? Drummer's stool (just thinking about that makes me shake)? Perhaps better put: a comfy stool. Ok, no, there is no alternative for a dirty mind.
In any case, any thoughts on a good seat for long hours playing without destroying your back?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• blobbblobb Frets: 1687
    roc n soc with backrest
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 30322
    I have a DW drum stool and a Herman Miller Aeron.

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 453
    octatonic said:

Is this the one? It's beautiful. It could've saved my back/behind this lockdown year as I've been teaching online for 8 hour stretches.
    blobb said:
    roc n soc with backrest
    this one? https://rocnsoc.com/new/product-line/manual-spindles
    octatonic said:

this one?
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/dw_9100m_schlagzeughocker.htm?sid=ec22018ddc297e112152350cb40b96f7
    edited May 25
    lukedlb said:
    Nope, this one:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/dw_9100al_schlagzeughocker.htm

Beware the schlagzeughocker though- the 4 legs do get in the way.
    They are more stable but 3 leg stool might be better.
    I have the one you posted for my gigging kit.
    octatonic said:
    Just what I was looking at. Found one used with a backrest for 270 euros. Could this be the one?
    lukedlb said:
    octatonic said:

Is this the one? It's beautiful. It could've saved my back/behind this lockdown year as I've been teaching online for 8 hour stretches.
    https://www.hermanmiller.com/en_lac/products/seating/office-chairs/aeron-chairs/

mighty fine.
    I was busy convincing myself of the long term investment in the aeron chair after watching the instructional video, only to see that the additions required extra costs. hundred of euros of extra costs. and the base price was 1000 euros.
  • jhumberjhumber Frets: 184
    The Aeron's are fantastic. I picked mine up for £235 on ebay a number of years back. Couple of tips:
    1. Look for the shops that are doing office clear-outs, they often have dozens of them available at hugely reduced prices
    2. For guitarists, I recommend the one without arms...not least because the ones with arms aren't detachable without a Herman Miller engineer doing it(!).

At RRP, at Aeron isn't something I'd ever contemplate buying, but for what I paid I'd have been looking at a mid-upper priced chair in Staples. Given the hours I've logged in the Aeron (and that was pre-pandemic working at home for a year) I've zero regrets.
    jhumber said:
    The Aeron's are fantastic. I picked mine up for £235 on ebay a number of years back. Couple of tips:
    1. Look for the shops that are doing office clear-outs, they often have dozens of them available at hugely reduced prices
    2. For guitarists, I recommend the one without arms...not least because the ones with arms aren't detachable without a Herman Miller engineer doing it(!).

At RRP, at Aeron isn't something I'd ever contemplate buying, but for what I paid I'd have been looking at a mid-upper priced chair in Staples. Given the hours I've logged in the Aeron (and that was pre-pandemic working at home for a year) I've zero regrets.
    Oh yes, you can get a proper bargain if you buy used.

It isn't as elegant as the roc n soc or DW, but maybe the footrest will help with playing the guitar:
    https://www.k-m.de/en/products/drummer-s-thrones-benches-stools/stools/14046-14047-pneumatic-stool-black-fabric

Has anyone ever tried something similar?

Otherwise I'll go for the DW. I just found one new for 220 euros.
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 345
    Drum stool with back rest works well
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 6863

We used these in the studio, simply because they are comfortable and with no moving parts or bolts are completely silent when recording acoustic instruments. They are breakfast bar stools ... I still have them now

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 56896
    This... seriously. Yes, it's a child's high chair.

https://www.stokke.com/GBR/en-gb/highchairs/tripp-trapp/1001.html

It's fully adjustable for height, seat depth and you can even refit the lower deck as a foot rest if you want. None of my kids need it any more so it's ended up being used for what it was clearly always intended for :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 1783
    ICBM said:
    This... seriously. Yes, it's a child's high chair.

https://www.stokke.com/GBR/en-gb/highchairs/tripp-trapp/1001.html

It's fully adjustable for height, seat depth and you can even refit the lower deck as a foot rest if you want. None of my kids need it any more so it's ended up being used for what it was clearly always intended for :).

Does it only work with rickys?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 56896
    danishbacon said:

Does it only work with rickys?
    No, but it made the buying decision very easy for me :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • neilgneilg Frets: 52
    If you're going to go with a drum stool for sitting on for long hours I'd recommend the an Ahead over the Roc-n-Soc I had previously.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ahead-SPGBL-ASPG-BL-Drum-Throne/dp/B00CVB345E
    I got the k&m stool for half the rrp. However, it is way too high for desk work. Instead, it’s perfect for a guitarist sitting comfortably half way between a desk height and standing up straight. So great for moving up and down. It has a moveable foot rest too and makes no sound at all, especially important for recording acoustics. 
    Yet to try but I could use this for playing on the Hammond which has a high keyboard. 
    Super sturdy as with all K&m. 
    I still might have to buy a drum stool or office chair for working on the daw. So I’m not completely satisfied as I hadn’t thought about the height. I had assumed it would have gone lower. I should have considered this. 
    In fact, are drum stools too high for working at a desk?