Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #70

What's Hot
Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month (SotM) #70. Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

The backing track for this one was kindly provided by @digitalkettle

Vote for your top 3 entries. If you're an entrant you can't vote for yourself.

1st choice gets 5 points
2nd choice gets 3 points
3rd choice gets 1 point

Voting will end at midnight 31st May 2021.

The top three will be announced after the voting closes. No prizes. It's just for fun.

You can find all the entries the playlist below.

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm70-2021-05

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 5 pts @digitalkettle , very exciting choice of notes
    3 pts @bellycaster, solo blends very well with the backing
    1 pt @mudslide73, really like the raw tone.

All solo's had great parts to them. I could easily switch around places for @digitalkettle and @bellycaster. 3rd position to me was a hard choice. I think tonewise @mudslide73 appealed most to me. 
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    I know he provided the backing but.....

5pts @digitalkettle - Great playing and as mentioned above some nice choice of notes to add more interest.  A perfect fit.
    3pts @Bellycaster - Really liked the melodic playing.  Great fit for the track
    1pt - @Barney - Nice smooth start followed by some lightning flurries.  Great stuff

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    5 Points @stratman3142Wonderful melody, nice smooth tone. Love the bends and the legato.

3 Points @digitalkettle - Great blend of a multitude of styles and skills. Some lovely extra touches, nice melody too.

1 Point @ChrisRG - I really liked the sustained notes here combined with the timing/delivery of the shorter type phrases/passages and loved how it lead to that final little run at the climax.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4091
    5pts @Barney I loved the tone and freedom of the phrasing, held my interest throughout
    3pts @digitalkettle really very good, awesome  tone and loved the intro and how restrained it was going for phrasing over pace.  Tiny point deducted for what I felt was a bum key note slipping in at 28s ish, otherwise perfection
    1pt @stratman3142 very nice ear worm,  great phrasing

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3068
    5 pts @digitalkettle  lots of great ideas that flow into each other naturally - lovely.
    3 pts @bellycaster I really like the transitions and the way you returned to your theme after the middle section.
    1 pt
    @stratman3142 Super flowing stuff negotiating effortlessly between the sections.

The track is lovely and has produced some great stuff. Very had to choose again. I must give a special mention to @fastonebaz for his unflinching inventiveness too. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited May 2021
    5 points : @digitalkettle : Great ideas. Lots of variation. Some of the notes where a bit unusual but quickly resolved.
    3 points : @Barney : Lovely flowing solo.
    1 point : @BellycasterSome nice lines and note choices.

I'll probably put my foot in it here, but I was left feeling that I possibly preferred the backing track on its own without the solos . Not that the solos weren't great but maybe the backing track was so strong on its own.

Have I said the wrong thing?

Anyway, my wife (who's usually very positive) said my solo sounded "wishy washy".

It's not a competition.
    That's a good point actuality yes.  The backing track was great in its own right and quite complete.   I marvel at everyone's ability to mix a pristine track. 
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 615
    edited May 2021
    All great I thought for me though 
    @digital kettle 5 points 
    @Fastonebaz 3 points 
    @stratman3142 1 point 

All great though ....loved  the backer and as said before it was great on its own 
    Voting ends tonight at midnight.

It's not a competition.
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252

Anyway, my wife (who's usually very positive) said my solo sounded "wishy washy".

Remember that feedback next time she gets a new hairdo. ;)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    I liked them all, but finally settled on...

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3235
    I'll probably put my foot in it here, but I was left feeling that I possibly preferred the backing track on its own without the solos . Not that the solos weren't great but maybe the backing track was so strong on its own.
    I had a similar thought when I came to record over it...probably why there's more space than usual in my submission!
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3235
    5pts: @stratman3142 - nice spacey melody over the start/end sections...really liked the middle section...tasty articulations
    3pts: @Barney - very smooth...not overthought...loved the intro phrase
    1pt: @fastonebaz - great intro harmonics using a 'sit up & listen' tone...a legato stamina workout with tasty bits of dissonance...enjoyed your use of the track's reverb tail at the end: 'no, i'm not done yet...there's still room for a few more notes' ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    There's always room for a bit of tapping that's my motto :lol: 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Voting closed.

It's not a competition.