Vintage guitar valuations

What's Hot
WarblingtonWarblington Frets: 109
I have a guitar that I'd like appraised in terms of value.I know something is only worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it but there must be someone reliable out there or some form of reference for valuations. Any ideas would be welcome and thank you in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JD50JD50 Frets: 650
    Just check reverb and eBay sold items... you must have an idea of what your guitar is worth?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WarblingtonWarblington Frets: 109
    It's a one off so I'm not sure there is a comparable sale.I know what I'd like it to be worth but i've had it over a decade and I'm not an expert in the vintage market.That's why I'd like pointing in the right direction, an independent valuer that is trusted and is au fait with the current market.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    When I once owned a valuable vintage guitar I had it appraised by a well known vintage guitar dealer for insurance purposes.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    Mike at ATB could value it for you. Or there’s lots of knowledgeable people on here who’ll have just as good an idea, if you’re prepared to say what the guitar is. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    clarkefan said:
    When I once owned a valuable vintage guitar I had it appraised by a well known vintage guitar dealer for insurance purposes.
    A few years ago I spoke to dealers at a guitar show about another guitar I had. Their valuations varied by about 30% so I wasn't sure about that approach.I could give it a whirl though.
  • MikeCMikeC Frets: 447
    And there is the vintage guitar price guide. It's in USD but add on shipping and tax you might as well assume its in GBP.

Or better still, tell this forum what it is and add pictures and we can all guess randomly....then buy it from you and then sell it to each other and then sell it back to you in 3 years time as by then you would have regretted selling it. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Brilliant idea.I'm going to buy that guide.
    Mike at ATB could value it for you. Or there’s lots of knowledgeable people on here who’ll have just as good an idea, if you’re prepared to say what the guitar is. 
    I'll talk to him thanks.The guitar is a 1966 Telecaster in pretty much new condition.I'll try and post a picture .

edited May 2021
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8774
    MikeC said:

Or better still, tell this forum what it is and add pictures and we can all guess randomly....then buy it from you and then sell it to each other and then sell it back to you in 3 years time as by then you would have regretted selling it. 
    This is the True Way, pilgrim.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    Link keeps dying on me so can't see enough for long enough to know what is what - With such a guitar originality has such an impact - Finish, pots, pick-ups etc, so I can't see any detail at the moment to ascertain any relevant info - Might be just the link and what I can down load - Any comments on what you know about the guitars history/originality

Plus what is the valuation for

Insurance purpose - View to a sale to a dealer or as a private seller - For an estate/probate - All will/can have a different value - As @fretfinder mentions you can ask ATB but a buying price and selling price are different values 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    The other issue is that a value is an opinion not a fact as to the actual value on such a guitar - Offering it for sale in a commercial environment you'll need to take time into account - Some expect an instant sale others will wait many months as required - Unless it is something extraordinary, then often an instant sale will require the price to be more favourable - It is easy to say if someone wants it they will pay the asking price 

The likes of Gardiner and Houlagate will offer a free expectation as to what price it might sell for in an auction - But even then the final price could be give or take 10/20% of that expectation

Some dealers will charge a valuation fee based on the guitars value - Some owners won't like that - But in many ways, if you don't know what it is worth, but want a free dealers valuation, in order to ask the right price on e-bay/reverb, so all the gain is to your benefit , then you can't blame a dealer for such a stance
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Link keeps dying on me so can't see enough for long enough to know what is what - With such a guitar originality has such an impact - Finish, pots, pick-ups etc, so I can't see any detail at the moment to ascertain any relevant info - Might be just the link and what I can down load - Any comments on what you know about the guitars history/originality

Plus what is the valuation for

Insurance purpose - View to a sale to a dealer or as a private seller - For an estate/probate - All will/can have a different value - As @fretfinder mentions you can ask ATB but a buying price and selling price are different values 
    It's a totally original guitar that has spent 50 years under a bed.I am the second owner and it has the original purchase documents.It was purchased in Manchester in 1968 in a second hand case which is still with it (non Fender) .I have a letter from the original owner stating how his father set up the HP agreement etc and the payment and contract paperwork is in the case.The original owner consigned it to 'under the bed' for many years before deciding to let it go. Condition is all original and 'museum grade' for want of a better expression.Neck date is 3rd Jun 66.Rosewood board plays great. Finish is see through blonde , minuscule marking on frets ,ashtray present, unmolested solder ,totally untouched and original.
    Valuation is for insurance and interest.I've had it 11 years and changed my insurance from Allianz and added it to my home insurance.I've been reticent to approach dealers as stated above for the reasons you mention.I 'd like to know a fair valuation if i had to claim on insurance and go and buy another if I could find one.It is not a guitar for sale atm . I hadn't considered the estate /probate valuation. Sorry about the link ,I think i've done it right at my end,I can see the pictures alright.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    edited May 2021 tFB Trader

Beauty..

edit - one more -

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 782
    edited May 2021
    Sling the ashtray, replace pickguard for a black one, change the pickups and add some relicing, that would be lovely!

What I really meant to say was...

... fwar, that's stunning!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2021
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Well that's rather nice.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2260
    Sorry a totally useless comment from me for your purposes ans I don’t know vintage valuations I buy what I want, but as Tele freak and for fun builder, F me, that is absolutely stunning. Have a wow. 

Also suggest ABT chat. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 911
    http://www.davidjpym.com/page204.html

Might be of interest - although unfortunately the sold prices aren't on there