UPDATE! New acoustic, what strings?

What's Hot
simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 683
edited August 2021 in Acoustics
Recently bought a new/old Gibson 1941 J-100 reissue. Tried a bunch in GuitarGuitar. It was absolutely the best sounding guitar I tried, warm, bassy and just a hint of brightness.

Broke the D string on a gig yesterday. Stuck a Martin on that I had in my bag, I think a phosphor bronze jobby.

Now my strings go:

Ding
Ding
BUZZTHWACK
Ding
Ding
Ding

I realize new strings sound brighter etc but this was ridiculous! A super bright, metallic, rattly, horridness that has none of the lovely warm, balanced (even slightly dull?) characteristics of the string that it replaced. Just horrible brightness and buzz.

The guitar was from Gibson Artist stock so is basically used so that probably makes this next question even harder but:

As a high-end acoustic noob, can anyone suggest what strings might have been on it before or what strings I should look into? The difference really is night and day and is bumming me out a bit as I was really enjoying playing acoustic for the first time in years and won't be if I keep having to play these horrible strings.

Note I also bought some D'Addarios recently and am having the same bright, brittle horribleness on another guitar so I guess these bronze ones are not for me?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7765
    edited May 2021
    They were probably just old. Buy a set of Newtone Masterclass 12s and give it some time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TrevinDevonTrevinDevon Frets: 28
    First in for Newtone Heritage. New/old strings for a new/old guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3681
    What they said!
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5416
    You sound as though you don't like bright strings. Bronze strings aren't even bright, just middling. Answer: go nickel or monel. Martin Retros are a great monel string, but there are others. Warm, not too bright, no squeak, and they last practically forever. Sounds like the sort of thing you are after.

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7765
    Tannin said:
    You sound as though you don't like bright strings. Bronze strings aren't even bright, just middling. Answer: go nickel or monel. Martin Retros are a great monel string, but there are others. Warm, not too bright, no squeak, and they last practically forever. Sounds like the sort of thing you are after.

Monel are not dark IMO, just different, it's almost like a "resonator" string. A bit more crude and flat sounding. Not my bag at all
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers Winny_Pooh, they are not my bag either. I appreciate that it is traditional, almost compulsory in "which string" threads for each responder to recommend his or her  own favourite brand and type regardless of what the OP actually needs or likes, but in this case Simon seems to be pretty clear that he doesn't like bright strings. Monel, nickel, or maybe flatwounds make sense for him. The bronze that you like and the brass that I like don't. (Well, not unless he plays them for ages until they go dull - not really a practical proposition. Pity, as well-worn brass strings are especially sweet and mellow and - if you like that sort of thing - lovely. But impractical if you gig: you never know when an old string is going to break.)

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    i've got dadd nickel bronze on my acoustic at the mo. they're softer & less bright than the newtone heritages that were on previously
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 683
    Thanks all, lots of food for thought here! I'll look into some of these suggestions and let you know how I get on, appreciate you all holding this idiot's hand through what is a totally new arena for me!
  • moremore Frets: 230
     Gibson fit their own brand strings to their instruments. A few years ago your guitar would have a set of Gibson Hydrophobic guitar strings fitted, now discontinued. Now they fit Gibson J-200 stings. You can easily identify them.  There is some silk wound in at the ball end, end. It is claimed it cuts bridge wear, but it also tends to deaden the strings.   
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72294
    edited June 2021
    I've owned three or four guitars that I loved the sound of when I first tried, but could not get to sound the same again after I changed the old strings - one was a Gibson too (CJ-165), it didn't sound positively bad afterwards, but it never quite regained the lovely woody 'thunk' it had when I first played it.

However, that was before I discovered Newtone strings. If I'd known how much of a difference they make I might still have the guitar... they really do sound 'played in' - but not 'dead' - straight out of the packet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• randellarandella Frets: 4168
    I'm no help with your particular strings as I like them bright(ish). I did see on here though someone who'd been through different types and made notes about each, which I thought was a good idea. My short-term memory is shot these days so I think I'm going to do the same with my new acoustic.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    Also happy new guitar day - just had a quick search for your guitar and it's a lovely looking thing! :)
    Thanks pal, really pleased with it!

Took a few pics in the garden the other night for those interested...

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1x4LTrzWorfTeNCE-nqInMePaMpxZOO0G

Took it back out this morning for the first time since the break. The buzz was a little better but after 40 minutes solid playing I'd have hoped it'd settled in a bit more than it has.

Also just had an email from GG who reckon they would have put D'Addario EJ16s on it, 12-53. Once again showing what I know (i.e. nothing!) about acoustics, those being the Phosphorest of Bronzes!

Definitely looking to give the Newtones a try, though. Will update once I've done enough gigs to afford a set!
  • SammySammy Frets: 129
    Hi,
    Just read your post and it appears you have a similar problem to mine. As your Gibson is the same mahogany wood to my Larrivee, I would definately try out the Martin Retro Monels, which were suggested to me by various forum members.  I also have aquired a set of the Newtones but have yet to try them as the sound I am getting with the Monels, I am reluctant to take them off, but will do to try the Newtones out.

Check my post out "Suggestion for Strings to Tone Down Brightness" as have just done an update

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26942
    I love Monels. But what I really found through trying about 10 different brands and flavours, is that I like what I like and that isn't necessary aligned with what anyone else suggests - you only find out by trying different things. 

Probably worth buying a few sets and trying them for a week or two each, making notes, then sticking with whatever you like most. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires

Took it back out this morning for the first time since the break. The buzz was a little better but after 40 minutes solid playing I'd have hoped it'd settled in a bit more than it has.

Also just had an email from GG who reckon they would have put D'Addario EJ16s on it, 12-53.
    I'm wondering what you mean by "buzz" in this context. If it's just your way of describing the over-bright metallic jangle of new strings, good. Do nothing and ignore the rest of this post.

But if by "buzz" you mean buzz - that not odd but entirely unpleasant sound you get when a string is neither fully hard up against an obstruction (such as a fret or the nut or a slide) nor completely clear of it, then the EJ16s are relevant. (To clarify, there is full-on buzz which no-one would mistake for anything other than bad playing or a faulty setup, and there is "soft buzz" which is more subtle and less unpleasant. Some instruments are even designed for it - sitar for one.) If this is the case, then it's worth knowing that EJ16s are lighter than most lights. They act, in other words, like a set of (say) 11.5 - 51 strings. I had a set on one of my acoustics a while back. This particular Cole Clark came beautifully setup ex-factory and is very light to play with the factory Elixir 12s, or any of various other 12s (Martin, Fender) but does the "soft buzz" thing with D'Addario EJ16s or GHS Vintage Bronze 12. Those two last-mentioned brands are too light for the setup.

If this is what is happening to you, you can either have the setup adjusted (tweak the truss rod and/or shim the saddle and/or tinker with the nut), or simply switch to a different brand of string of the same nominal gauge that has slightly higher tension. For example: Martin, Elixir, Darco, Fender, Ernie Ball, Rotosound. Or, if that's not quite enough, go to a bluegrass set. 

(I just remembered that you are new to acoustics so I better add that "bluegrass" strings have nothing at all to do with bluegrass music. Bluegrass strings are heavier than lights but lighter than mediums. They usually run 12-56, giving you nice light, bendable treble strings but a little bit more meat on the bass strings.)

@Tannin ;that string diary was fascinating, thank you! Although it sounds like you've probably spent more on strings than I have on guitars this past year!

When you talk about how long the strings last, is this until one breaks or until you consider the tone to have "gone off"? It sounds like you play quite a lot?

The other question would be how long do you expect things to need to settle in? I assume this varies quite a lot set to set. I'd have thought my Martin string would have dulled down a lot after 45 minutes of gig-level strumming but it's still pretty bright.

Actually, one more question and then I promise I'll leave you alone! All these string changes, are you making adjustments to the guitar each time? Truss rod etc? Surely different gauges and sets has a huge effect on setup?

From the sounds of things it looks like I might like Monels (and if they seldom break that's a plus, though I'm sure I'll still manage somehow!) and I'm fascinated to see how you get on with the Newtones... Keep up the good work!
  • SammySammy Frets: 129
    @Tannin ;that string diary was fascinating, thank you! Although it sounds like you've probably spent more on strings than I have on guitars this past year!

When you talk about how long the strings last, is this until one breaks or until you consider the tone to have "gone off"? It sounds like you play quite a lot?

The other question would be how long do you expect things to need to settle in? I assume this varies quite a lot set to set. I'd have thought my Martin string would have dulled down a lot after 45 minutes of gig-level strumming but it's still pretty bright.

Actually, one more question and then I promise I'll leave you alone! All these string changes, are you making adjustments to the guitar each time? Truss rod etc? Surely different gauges and sets has a huge effect on setup?

From the sounds of things it looks like I might like Monels (and if they seldom break that's a plus, though I'm sure I'll still manage somehow!) and I'm fascinated to see how you get on with the Newtones... Keep up the good work!

@simonhpieman, I think you have muddled up with your last paragraph, as It's my post you must have read re the Monels and trying out the Newtones next!  But don't worry will give you an update when I put them on. ;)
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3897
    I’ve tried loads over the years (Newtones included) but always go back to EB Earthwoods. I suppose they’re my favourites. 
    Sammy said:

@simonhpieman, I think you have muddled up with your last paragraph, as It's my post you must have read re the Monels and trying out the Newtones next!  But don't worry will give you an update when I put them on. ;)
    Oops, you're right! Sorry!