Artificial Harmonics

What's Hot
All the years I've been playing, I have never tried this before.

I take it that's what is happening here.

Are there any guitar teachers on here ? I would like a few lessons

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Ah maybe I got it wrong ? Can anyone explain how to get this sound

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    I think they are artificial harmonics, but that’s not the way I’ve created them in the past. Looks like he’s using the index finger of his right hand to create the node point (which is a ratio of the free string length so changes with fretting position) which sets the note pitch and using his right hand thumb to pluck the string. The index finger is very lightly touching the string, the gets removed as you pluck.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    edited June 2021
    They're natural harmonics, they're just not in the usual places because he's fingering chords with the left hand, which moves the harmonic up the strings. So if you finger a regular open E major, the octave harmonics would be at 12-14-14-13-12-12 - you can do the same with any note on the fretboard. 

So instead of touching the string at e.g. the 12th fret with the left hand and picking with the right, you'd finger a chord, starting simple say x332xx for a F major triad (as he does right at the beginning, in the bottom left corner)

Where it gets more tricky is your left hand is already in use, so with the right hand, you have to touch each string with the first finger at the harmonic point, and pick with the thumb just behind. For that same F that means touching above the 15th on the A, 15th on the D and 14th on the G strings. 

Does that make sense? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    It's a technique called harping, least that's what I was told it was. Basically it you lightly touch a string anywhere 12 frets above where you are fretting it you will get the harmonic 

Like this at 10:30 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • vizviz Frets: 10645
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Thanks everyone. I will give it a try, it's an interesting sound. Never been a big fan of the pinch harmonic but this sounds great to me and something different to add to my box of tricks 

I really need to find a tutor locally and get some pro lessons

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4084
    Andy summers was a particular user of this I think 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy summers was a particular user of this I think 
    I didn't know that thanks 

Andy summers was a particular user of this I think 
    I didn't know that thanks 
    Check this out, my fave police track ever 

https://youtu.be/OQGmaWYC4OE
    Well next to walk-in on the moon prob