John Mayer: Sob Rock and a Pink Silver Sky

What's Hot

Comments

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3519
    Maybe John needs to trade his Dumble for a Sessionette for the authentic 80's Clapton ™ sound. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    Knob Rock 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22701
    edited June 2021
    Loobs said:
    Knob Rock 
    Someone had to say it eventually.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324
    R Adams has been doing the 80s thing for ages though. 
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1083
    This song is fantastic. 3 hooks, a great solo, and then a Man in the Mirror outro here on Jimmy Kimmel.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • R Adams has been doing the 80s thing for ages though. 
    Yeah he has, wish he would move away from it tbh 

But seeing as he's cancelled I wonder how much more he will release

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    This guy produces some great fingerstyle lessons and arrangements. Of course, today he released one for last train home, just to please tfb…

https://sixstringfingerpicking.com/songs/last-train-home-guitar-lesson/
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    edited June 2021
    Sounds like a Phil Collins album track ,
    not even  good enough to be a single.
    Shame ,I like John Mayers playing , usually.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2365
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited June 2021
    Strat54 said:
    Quite brilliant, thanks for sharing. As of right now on YT, 14k thumbs up: 28 thumbs down. 

His ratio wouldn’t be as positive on a tfb poll!
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4773
    Love it

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• Much prefer it acoustic. Lyrics are still a bit pony though

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5725
    I’ve listened to some of the JM back catalogue now and I don’t understand the reaction to him at all. There’s barely a guitar solo to be found on the first three albums and what there is on the latest is confined and restrained, as you’d expect on a pop song. 

His songs are well written, his voice is great and the band are always fab but I’m not getting what sets him apart and makes him worthy of either the fanatics or the haters. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    He's popular cos blokes wanna be him and birds wanna shag him, or vice versa. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9686
    Strat54 said:
    I said earlier in the thread I thought the song would be much better without the cheesy 80s backing track, and indeed this was much more listenable (up until the surrender bit anyway)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5725
    Loobs said:
    He's popular cos blokes wanna be him and birds wanna shag him, or vice versa. 
    Okay, that makes sense. ;)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17571
    tFB Trader
    dazzajl said:
    I’ve listened to some of the JM back catalogue now and I don’t understand the reaction to him at all. There’s barely a guitar solo to be found on the first three albums and what there is on the latest is confined and restrained, as you’d expect on a pop song. 

His songs are well written, his voice is great and the band are always fab but I’m not getting what sets him apart and makes him worthy of either the fanatics or the haters. 

I think that's a very valid insight.

The albums that sold a lot don't tend to be the noodley blues ones.

He's more of a big selling AOR artist that has a sideline in blues than a big selling blues artist.

In term of output he's much more of a Billy Joel or Ed Sheeran than SRV.

Nothing wrong with that mind.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3214
    dazzajl said:

He's more of a big selling AOR artist that has a sideline in blues than a big selling blues artist.

Agree. In fact, which albums are the noodley blues ones?

There aren't any, imho...not even 'Try!' (which was a one-off live trio-format album).

Puzzles me a bit when people say 'Oh, i preferred him in the trio...wish he'd go back to it'...as if it was Cream/Clapton or something. It's 11 tracks recorded live at a gig in 2005: two covers, two tracks from Heavier Things, two tracks from Continuum, five newies.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    dazzajl said:

There aren't any, imho...not even 'Try!' (which was a one-off live trio-format album).

Puzzles me a bit when people say 'Oh, i preferred him in the trio...wish he'd go back to it'...as if it was Cream/Clapton or something. It's 11 tracks recorded live at a gig in 2005: two covers, two tracks from Heavier Things, two tracks from Continuum, five newies.

I think it’s just his strat tones are fantastic and it’s real high quality performance
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    dazzajl said:

I've got Where The Light Is on the phone. Shall I tell them you're busy?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom