PM sent 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    PM sent 
    Benm39 said:
    Yes please!

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Yes, also, please! I keep meaning to get stuck in (I have Truefire courses that cover it as well) but then get frustrated and end up not persevering.
    Call me Dave.
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 661
    JezzaSnr said:
    Hello Everyone

Is there anyone struggling with Travis Picking? I have just uploaded a video on my Youtube channel that goes in depth with a step by step process. 

Would anyone be interested in watching this?

yes please!!

Yes, me too please. Would like to have a look at this. Thank - you. 
    JezzaSnr said:
    Hello Everyone

Is there anyone struggling with Travis Picking? I have just uploaded a video on my Youtube channel that goes in depth with a step by step process. 

Would anyone be interested in watching this?

yes please!!

Yes, me too please. Would like to have a look at this. Thank - you. 
    Thank you, PM sent 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4192
    edited June 2021
    Just had a look - that's a great primer on the style. I usually point people who want to get into fingerpicking towards the Happy Traum videos but I'll point them towards your video from now on.

Nerdy aside: despite this approach being named after him, Merle Travis didn't play this way. His thumb was far more "boom chuck" a la Mother Maybelle Carter than the more precise alternating thumb bass that people often call Travis Picking, but which more closely resembles the playing of Chet Atkins and Mississippi John Hurt. He also only used his index finger for upstrokes, his other three fingers were planted on the top.
  • mattacjonesmattacjones Frets: 506
    me too please!
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2425
    I just took a look at the video and it's a very good introduction to basic technique. Definitely worth following for anyone looking to get into that style of playing.

I've been playing Chet, Merle, Jerry style since I was 16 which is longer ago than I care to admit  ;)  It's always been a niche style in this country so It's good to see quite a few members here expressing interest.

I prefer the American name 'Kentucky Thumb' because Merle Travis didn't invent the style but when you say Travis Picking everyone knows what you mean.

It'll be interesting to see your Part 2 video Dean.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    I enjoyed the video, many thanks Dean. The kind of picking I've been getting into is more like Rockabilly than Folk. However, this is a good place to start for a whole load of stuff! Good work. 
    Jimbro66 said:
    I just took a look at the video and it's a very good introduction to basic technique. Definitely worth following for anyone looking to get into that style of playing.

I've been playing Chet, Merle, Jerry style since I was 16 which is longer ago than I care to admit  ;)  It's always been a niche style in this country so It's good to see quite a few members here expressing interest.

I prefer the American name 'Kentucky Thumb' because Merle Travis didn't invent the style but when you say Travis Picking everyone knows what you mean.

It'll be interesting to see your Part 2 video Dean.
    Thank you so much looking at the video and for your kind words. 

I’m writing the content as we speak. Is there anything you would want me to include or feel would be important as the next step?

Lewy said:
    Just had a look - that's a great primer on the style. I usually point people who want to get into fingerpicking towards the Happy Traum videos but I'll point them towards your video from now on.

Nerdy aside: despite this approach being named after him, Merle Travis didn't play this way. His thumb was far more "boom chuck" a la Mother Maybelle Carter than the more precise alternating thumb bass that people often call Travis Picking, but which more closely resembles the playing of Chet Atkins and Mississippi John Hurt. He also only used his index finger for upstrokes, his other three fingers were planted on the top.
    I’m so glad you liked it and I feel honoured you will point people towards this!

thanks so much for the background behind the style. I did hear that he only used his index finger which is interesting. It’s great to see and hear how others have developed this style too. 
    merlin said:
    I enjoyed the video, many thanks Dean. The kind of picking I've been getting into is more like Rockabilly than Folk. However, this is a good place to start for a whole load of stuff! Good work. 
    I’m so glad you liked the video. Yes Rockabilly is definitely a style this series can go into. Any particular song(s) you wish to play in that style?
    me too please!
    Thank you. PM sent
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2425
    edited June 2021

I’m writing the content as we speak. Is there anything you would want me to include or feel would be important as the next step?
    Because it is a style that is chord-based I've found that telling new players to initially work out the chords of the tune they want to play, then learn the inversions of those chords, will enable them to find the melody at any position up and down the neck.

For those like @merlin who are interest in Travis-style playing in Rockabilly perhaps show the importance of sixth and ninth extended chords in getting the authentic sound.

Following on from your A, D and E picking examples in the first video perhaps introduce the D7 chord form with F# in the bass which is very commonly used in Travis style. Perhaps also show the option of thumb-over fretting of the sixth (and fifth) strings that Merle did all the time.

I can sense a Dean part 3 video in the making 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    Yes please - I've wanted to get t grips with this for ages
    Yes please - I've wanted to get t grips with this for ages
    Thanks. PM sent
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I'd be interested in a look