Chords

The choice of what chord to play is probably down to the skill level of the guitarist  or the sound of the genre that you are trying to play (like power chords for Sabbath stuff), For me......a big ugly bloke with unfeasibly small hands/fingers the choice is usually the "easiest" way to play a chord with as small a fingerspan as possible. 

So I've come across some chords on the internet that, for me, seem good alternatives or additions to my chord repertoire.......but it means beefing up my string dampening  skills!

D Major    x54xx5    Moveable
C Major    8xx98x    Moveable

Do any members use these versions of chords? Any more you can suggest? Chords that can be played within a 3 fret stretch.

Thank you.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    In google images search "CAGED chords".  The 3 note charts are very useful even if you don't read into the CAGED concept. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    You don’t have to strum all 6 strings on any chord which means damping isn’t as important, although a very good thung to have in your skill set
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    I use these shapes a fair bit...

xx645x (E movable)
    xx545x (Em movable)

...no damping required.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • tanihhiavlttanihhiavlt Frets: 659
    The choice of what chord to play is probably down to the skill level of the guitarist  or the sound of the genre that you are trying to play (like power chords for Sabbath stuff), For me......a big ugly bloke with unfeasibly small hands/fingers the choice is usually the "easiest" way to play a chord with as small a fingerspan as possible. 

So I've come across some chords on the internet that, for me, seem good alternatives or additions to my chord repertoire.......but it means beefing up my string dampening  skills!

D Major    x54xx5    Moveable
    C Major    8xx98x    Moveable

Do any members use these versions of chords? Any more you can suggest? Chords that can be played within a 3 fret stretch.

Thank you.
    Those are what I'd call shell chord voicings - they're not real shell chords as they've a fifth, but harmonically they're in the same ball-park as a voicing. 

Shell chords use the 7th (C#) note instead of the 5th cos bassists are our friends, they'll want the 5th  :) tonally there's less ambiguity with the 7th chord than a usual triad chord.

Your chords sound nice - how do you mute them? 

As a south paw I have to flip all the notations here but - here are some shell chords to compare - with your chord - they may sound too flowery:

x546xx
    x5x67x
    x54xx5
    xxx779
    xx0x22

• GiancaGianca Frets: 12
    edited July 2021
    These are the so-called Shell Chords, partial chords that do not use all the strings; for example:

C7

Cmaj7

Cm7

You find more shapes here:

https://www.fachords.com/shell-chords/