Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

[Football] Spurs, Manager

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27343
Disclosure: 
Life-long Spurs fan here, who thinks that Levy has done a reasonable job of running the club within realistic financial disciplines.

*BUT*
WTF is going on with appointing a new manager?  Really ... this is beyond embarrassing.

Julian Nagelsman.  OK, guy had a tough choice ... Bayern Munich or Spurs.  Bet that was a close call for him.
Erik Ten Hag.  Again, serial winners in Dutchland or serial not-winners in Engerland.  Hmmmm.
Brendan Rogers.  Just why would he leave Leicester for Spurs?    Anyone think of any sort of reason?
Roberto Martinez.  Well, Belgium are #1 world ranked national team I suppose.  
Graham Potter.  Don't laugh.  Could still happen.
Scotty Parker.  At least he won  something this season.  OK, it was relegation, but Fulham did come top of the relegated.
Jurgen Klinsman.  LOL.  Surely that rumour was started by Gooners?
Pochettino.  Would he?  Could he?  Should he?  Oh please, let it be ... let's all get excited for a week, then to be told "no".
Antonio Conte.  Hmmmm, Think someone  was confusing a tick and a cross in all the boxes on the "must have qualities" list.
Paulo Fonseca.  Who?  Oh, apparently he's quite good.  But that was the beginning of the week and we don't want him now.
Gennaro Gattuso.  Who?  Why?  Oh, that was yesterday, today he's out.

Assuming that there's some shred of truth to the rumours that get published, seems like whoever Spurs eventually appoint is going to be about 23rd on the original wishlist.    That's a great start for them, and the team.  

About half-way through that list of names, I thought to myself "I bet Levy has a cunning plan that no-one's realised yet".    I'm not sure I can persuade myself of that any longer.  The only thing that makes any sense is that it's a national team manager who's not being announced until after the Euros.    Anyone know the name of the manager of North Macedonia??

Right now, my money is split between David Pleat coming back for another caretaker session, or Ryan Mason being told to get back in the chair.

:(
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It's a bonkers situation and it's not going to look good on Levy.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11805
    Benitez? 
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    I wasn't a fan of Mourinho, but Levy shouldn't have sacked him unless he had a replacement nailed-on. As Jamie Redknapp said, they're a bunch of clowns.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    What worries me is the underlying message in all of this.

Conte was never going to agree to being our manager, he likes to spend large amounts of money (almost £400m at Chelsea) and we've never been that sort of club. And I think we're even less likely to spend now, which will put managers off. Anyone coming in will have to sell to have the cash to fund new players.

We've a fantastic stadium but it cost a fortune, and we've had buggerall income from it to service the debt since covid raised its ugly little head. No crowds, no American football, no concerts no boxing, no naimg rights (yet) That's a huge loss of income.

You have to ask if any incoming manager will want to test his coaching skills by making the existing players better. We've got the likes of Skipp, Sessignon and Parrott coming back from loans and all have reportedly improved but have they improved enough? There are areas of the team that need strengthening, never mind the task of finding a replacement for Kane.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27343
    Brize said:
    I wasn't a fan of Mourinho, but Levy shouldn't have sacked him unless he had a replacement nailed-on. As Jamie Redknapp said, they're a bunch of clowns.

The writing had been on the wall for Mourinho for a fair old time.  I know, I sprayed a lot of it, so it was hardly a surprise when he got booted.  I really did expect his replacement to be primed and ready to come in more-or-less straightaway.  At the latest, when the season ended.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    This Sunday the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is being used for a huge Covid vaccination event for 18s and over.
    Perhaps they could use this opportunity to also interview the people for the managerial position.
    And they'll see plenty of shots going in - which'll be nice.
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7069
    My lot are the same (Palace). Hodgson is 73 for God's sake - could we not have had someone lined up bearing in mind we suspected / knew it would be his last season.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    TTony said:

Brendan Rogers.  Just why would he leave Leicester for Spurs?    Anyone think of any sort of reason?

Hard to think of a $ingle rea$on why he would go to $pur$...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    edited June 2021
    Dont think I have ever seen such a farce as this round of spurs chaos,  I feel genuinely sorry for their fans, I sincerely hope they dont play silly buggers with Kane regarding him going to a club that wins trophies.  Levy is a strange dude
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited June 2021
     As a West Brom fan I feel the pain of manager (or lack thereof) frustration - though I think for Spurs it's obviously a bigger deal than for little old West Brom, as we have basically found our level now. Our version of Levy is a largely absent overseas business man who has now decided to part company with the director of football and has recently vetoed the appointment of a few of the shortlisted potentials. Wilder because he is outspoken to the board (can't have that can we), Michael Appleton because he didn't want to pay Lincoln City any compensation, etc etc.

And then had the cheek to say "oh yeah season tickets are out now, make sure you renew before 7th July!!"

Hopefully something gets sorted soon for both clubs, and Palace who I feel are at a bit of a pivotal turning point with Hodgson going and their current squad. At least now we are back in the doldrums, Palace presumably won't keep nipping in to sign the players we were looking at buying

It's the hope that kills you
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    My lot are the same (Palace). Hodgson is 73 for God's sake - could we not have had someone lined up bearing in mind we suspected / knew it would be his last season.
    Isn't half the Palace squad out of contract now too @DrCornelius ?

Seems like a manager will need a bit of time to get the job ads out there for the replacement players too.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Mourinho was awful and had to go. Bland, boring football coupled with poor results.

I honestly have no idea who could or should be the next manager, but it's not helpful that 2 high profile candidates  have come and gone in public.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7069
    TTony said:
    Isn't half the Palace squad out of contract now too @DrCornelius ?

Seems like a manager will need a bit of time to get the job ads out there for the replacement players too.
    Yup and as the season was winding down we were told it was to allow the new manager time to recruit who he wants.  Well whoever it is will have to do some sort of super market sweep to fill the positions we need covering in the time he'll have :-(
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    Nuno still in the running? He would be a good choice, although in the Jose style. .
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 448
    They've probably dodged a few bullets with some of those tbh! 

Can't imagine that Kane will be any happier with staying given what's gone on
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    edited June 2021
    TTony said:

Assuming that there's some shred of truth to the rumours that get published

I think this is key, from what I've seen on twitter many of these rumours start with an Italian journo Fabrizio Romano who just seems to report any Italian manager meeting with any agent etc. putting 2+2 together and coming up with 5. For example from what I've read the new director of football Paratici had a meeting with Jorge Mendes who happens to represent Gattuso who had just left Fiorentina and an assumption was made that Spurs must be in for Gattuso.  Twitter goes into meltdown as all of these 'in the know' accounts just rehash that same story which has ultimately come from an at best only semi reliable source. Having an Italian DOF now means we'll be linked with every Italian manager, I expect Mancini to be next on the list.

Levy is notoriously media shy and I reckon he runs a tight ship in terms of media leaks so I doubt there is a huge amount of credence to many of these rumours. As a Spurs fan this is what I'm clinging onto anyway as I can't bear to think that all of this might actually be true anguished 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2331
    blobb said:
    Nuno still in the running? He would be a good choice, although in the Jose style. .
    It would take More Than Words from Levy to get him there.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Lev said:

from what I've seen on twitter many of these rumours start with an Italian journo Fabrizio Romano  

I'd noticed that too.

Not really seen anything from him until the Spurs/manager situation this year.  He seemed to set out to prove that he knows what's going on, with lots of confident statements about who & when.

What he's actually proved is that he knows feck all. 

But then he's maybe a 13yo spotty Italian sitting in his bedroom ....
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    Spurs & Football.  That sounds a novel idea, maybe Arsenal might try the same remedy.

But Londoners remain a very optimistic people....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    Jurgen Klinsman just said on TV he would like the job. I would love to see him back at spurs