Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

[Football] Spurs, Manager

What's Hot

Comments

• Toms_DadToms_Dad Frets: 170
    I’m a (the) Bolton Wanderers fan. These seem like first world problems to me….
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mendymendy Frets: 171
    edited July 2021
     B)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    mendy said:
    Jamie Redknapp please
    Or what about his dad? He isn’t doing much these days  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    boogieman said:
    mendy said:
    Jamie Redknapp please
    Or what about his dad? He isn’t doing much these days  ;)
    Ahhhh, those were the days!!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    mendy said:
    Jamie Redknapp please
    Never in a million years. How he manages to continually get on telly despite coming up with the most verbose pile of bollocks is beyond me. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Good old Spurs, always entertaining to us non fans.

Mourinho was a bad appointment, but it was literally the dumbest thing ever to sack him right before a cup final! Sometimes I think that Spurs really do deserve where they are. 

They have had some great players over the years that I really liked though - Gascoigne, Lineker, Jennings, Ginola, Klinsmann, Waddle. I do like them to beat Arsenal as my boss is a real Gunners fan. He was always making a big deal of St Totteringham's day .... yeah but not for the past 5 seasons ho ho ho!
  • Daniel Levy is a massive tight arse with not a single footballing bone in his body. Spurs will be doomed to fail as long as he's around because he's clueless.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • Paolo Fonseca headed up Roma's worst season in years.
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    There is something in the psychology of the club that is preventing them from winning. Here are just some players over the past 15 years who spent several years playing for Spurs winning nothing and then gone on to win league titles after they left: Modric, Berbatov, Bale, Walker, Tripper, Eriksen, Vertongen, even Nkoudou won the league in Turkey. They have also had talented talented managers in Poch and Mourinho (on paper at least). 

They have one of the best training centres and stadiums in the world and are consistently listed in the top 10 wealthiest clubs in the world. I actually think the next coach needs to invest as much in fixing the psychology as fixing the football (which also clearly needs investment).

Which brings me on to Harry Kane. HK has been amazing for Spurs and consistently scored and has been pretty much undroppable. However as a fan I am somewhat concerned about his attitude/demeanor and how that might impact the dressing room. For example when is the last time you saw him actually celebrate a goal? He does his little jump and punch the air but there is rarely a smile or expression of joy. This seems then to replicate to the rest of the team (with the exception of Son). He was also pretty quick to throw the team under the bus in the Amazon doc at one of Mourinho's first team talks. 

There also seems to be an attitude that he deserves to win trophies and will have to look elsewhere to do that. But he has played in three finals for Spurs and really not showed up in any of the (granted he may have had fitness issues). But the club has put him in positions to win but the team has ultimately failed and he needs to take some of the responsibility for that.

I feel the club needs a refresh and maybe selling Kane needs to be part of that refresh, there is no doubt Spurs got the best years of Kane but if a 100 million offer comes in then maybe now is the time to let him go.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Lev said:

I feel the club needs a refresh and maybe selling Kane needs to be part of that refresh, there is no doubt Spurs got the best years of Kane but if a 100 million offer comes in then maybe now is the time to let him go.
    Especially if his last two performances for England are anything to go by...
    Lev said:
    There is something in the psychology of the club that is preventing them from winning. 
    It's an interesting proposition.  Can a club have a psychology?  Given the turnover of players through the years, is there something in "the club" that is stronger than a player's desire to win?   Mourinho was brought in specifically to bring that "winning mentality".  Did he fail because the club's psychology was stronger than his determination, or was he just past it?

Lev said:
    I don't subscribe to the "can't sell Harry" sentiment.  Of course he can be sold and the club will continue.  We've sold our best player/s before.  *But*, we don't have a good track record of spending money wisely.    Our top spends have been on;
    • Ndombele
    • Sanchez
    • Sissoko
    • Lo Celso
    • Bergwijn
    • Soldado
    • Reguilon
    • Lamela
    • Son
    • Moura
    • Sessegnon
    • Aurier
    There's not many there that I'd say have been successes, and only a couple that could be justified on "potential".

I'd certainly like Harry to stay because him leaving is more of a statement about his view of the club, and because I'd like to see him become our all-time top scorer and leave that mark in the history books. 

I'd like him to stay because he believes that Spurs can, and will.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    TTony said:
    It's an interesting proposition.  Can a club have a psychology?  Given the turnover of players through the years, is there something in "the club" that is stronger than a player's desire to win?   Mourinho was brought in specifically to bring that "winning mentality".  Did he fail because the club's psychology was stronger than his determination, or was he just past it?

I guess the one constant is the fans. Do we put too much pressure on the team to the point of impacting their performance on the field? I do feel we have a quite reactionary fanbase with elements who are very quick to turn on the players, especially online. But maybe this is the same for all clubs, certainly Arsenal have this is spades with Fan TV etc.

Although it is hard to have sympathy for young wealthy footballers it must be quite a difficult psychological balancing act for them. On one hand they are being paid millions for being the most talented individuals in their sport while on the other hand they have millions of people abusing them each week online. I'm not sure I could have handled that when I was in my twenties. I could certainly see how someone like Dele Alli might think 'sod it', why am I going to give 110% for this team when all I do is get abuse regardless. It's easy to say just ignore the abuse and don't read it but these young men have grown up with social media I'm sure they are acutely aware of what is being said about them online.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14223
    tFB Trader
    I don't know the inner workings of Spurs from the top down to the manager and how much impact these board room guys have on the pitch as well as financial/promotional/marketing etc - But I do often ask the question, who is guiding the clubs direction on the pitch including the style of play - Is it the manager, who may well be gone in 18 months time, to be replaced by another manager and another game plan - In which case don't expect long term results - Or is Levy having an impact on the team/pitch etc as well - Great for a chairman to support the club and have immense passion and pleasure from the style of play, but generally this does not help the cause 

I like the continental approach adopted by some clubs of a director of football and/or an inner sanctum who run the clubs policy of the style of play from the juniors thru' to the 1st team and the coach is hired to support this direction - Of course it requires the appropriate team/director of football to oversea this and not all fans by into it - But the continual hiring, firing and changing the style of play on the pitch, including he can go on the bench as I don't like him/rate him/or doesn't suit my style of play (Ali Deli) , with a new manager every 18 months is not a good option either 

Add to this the apparent approach of many new potential managers 'how much can I spend now' - That is not coaching or managing - Managing/coaching is also about working with the players that are currently available to you and getting the best out of them in a team set-up that creates the desired game plan for the team and fans - Yes changes to the line up can be made, but develop what you have first and don't just spend spend spend

With only a few weeks to go before pre-season starts then it is not a good position to be in (Palace will have problems as well this year especially with so many players out of contract - but a different story)
    Lev said:

It's easy to say just ignore the abuse and don't read it but these young men have grown up with social media I'm sure they are acutely aware of what is being said about them online.
    I doubt that many of the high-end (ie expensive!) players actually bother with their own social media.  That's handled by their social media management team, who probably also strongly advise the player never to look at their "official" accounts.

They will also have had some training in how to handle that sort of pressure.  As you say, "they've grown up" with it, and whilst some perhaps don't handle that pressure well,  others will just shrug their shoulders and not care about online comments.

I don't know the inner workings of Spurs from the top down to the manager and how much impact these board room guys have on the pitch as well as financial/promotional/marketing etc - But I do often ask the question, who is guiding the clubs direction on the pitch including the style of play - Is it the manager, who may well be gone in 18 months time, to be replaced by another manager and another game plan - In which case don't expect long term results - Or is Levy having an impact on the team/pitch etc as well - Great for a chairman to support the club and have immense passion and pleasure from the style of play, but generally this does not help the cause 

Levy is Chairman/CEO of Spurs, but also a significant (c30%, I believe) shareholder in the company that ultimately owns the majority of Spurs (ENIC).  So, he wears a couple of hats.  

He's been there for 20+ years, since Levy/ENIC bought out Alan Sugar (m'lud), so he's both a long-term owner and a CEO with a very vested interest in the club.  He's also a Spurs fan.

If any individual controls Spurs, then its Levy.  He hires, he fires.    

Spurs have tried the DoF role previously (with no real success) and are about to try it again with Patrici.    I think that'll serve more to limit the Manager's responsibilities (transfers, etc) than the CEO's.  

Levy has chosen managers, and when to fire them.  Our 2 most successful (and longest-serving) managers in the Levy period  have been 'Arry and Poch.  Both were fired when they effectively crossed Levy. 

Rednapp was supposedly in the running for the England job and tried to keep that option  open with vague press briefings rather than committing to Spurs, and Poch openly challenged Levy ("perhaps you should just call me a coach") when he wanted more authority for team-building, transfers, etc.      Upsetting Levy is not a good career move!

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4914
    Well, it probably won't be Rafa:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57658102

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Forgot this was still going on.... Levy waiting for a Euro 2020 name maybe?

Forgot this was still going on.... Levy waiting for a Euro 2020 name maybe?
    I’m hoping that’s the rational answer for what would otherwise appear to be a total farce!

In no particular order, one possibility is Martinez, once Belgium are done.  The other possibility is that Deschamps now leaves France and goes to PSG, freeing PSG’s current manager to find alternative employment at Spurs.

In no particular order, other than the second possibility is clearly infinitely preferable to the first.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22785
    So it's Nuno!

He seems like a decent manager and a decent bloke, but it really does feel like 23rd choice... which may give him a mountain to climb before he even starts.
    Jeez .....

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    Nuno? Hmmm.. He's obviously aware of the lack of money he will have to work with. And he won't be able to make us largely Portuguese, as he did with Wolves.

If could bring Traore with him, that would be a nice wlelcoming present.