Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

[Football] Spurs, Manager

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27435
    Came across well in his first interview.  Certainly spoke back the lines that Levy has been using (DNA, young players, etc).  

Seems like a decent guy.

I'm guessing that Patrici has really pushed him for the job, otherwise why wasn't he appointed as soon as last season ended?  

And he's not Mourinho.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    He will always be loved by Wolves fans for what he achieved, but more for the way he did it.

He's also very tactically astute. Wish we had kept hold of him, he was building some team but circumstances meant we will never see Raul, Adama, Neto, Podence do their stuff the Nuno way.

Spurs will be flying once he gets set up. Five at the back and pace in attack.

Interesting first home game as well: Nuno vs Bruno. Bring it on. Always liked Spurs.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Decent guy, why not. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I think this has potential to work out well. He did a good job at wolves. Just obviously not a first choice or even near first choice, given he's been available for a while, so I wonder how supported he will be, or if he's even seen as a stop gap till pochs contract is up.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Glad the OP clarified that this thread was about football. I am intrigued to read that Spurs are going to try to play football. When is their opening night?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    A superb appointment by Spurs… Nuno and his team (because he brings a lot with him) are meticulous in their preparation and delivery. I honest believe that you couldn’t have appointed a better man…

I live in the Black Country and Im a Q.P.R. fan, but Wolves are my local team, and I regularly visit a cafe in Tettenhall where a lot of Wolves players/staff frequent. So, Ive had a fair bit of insider info…

Nuno is a legend around here, and Tottenham will fly under him.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14185
    tFB Trader
    He certainly did a superb job at Wolves and found so many good players, via a good scouting system - Breath of fresh air compared to many top managers who just wish to spend big and almost ignore 'development' - I like the guy and I liked the way Wolves went about their work on the pitch - Could be exciting 
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 336
    I like what he did with Wolves who played good football. I think its a good match to see what he can achieve in his next step and Spurs (like Man U) tried the Mourinho approach so good luck to Nuno.
    I live in the Black Country and Im a Q.P.R. fan, but Wolves are my local team, and I regularly visit a cafe in Tettenhall where a lot of Wolves players/staff frequent. So, Ive had a fair bit of insider info…

Nuno is a legend around here, and Tottenham will fly under him.
    Good input @Wazmeister ; - thanks!

TBH, I'd dismissed him as a candidate given that he'd been available all the time that all those other names were being mentioned.    As I said above though, Patrici must have been very influential in his appointment.

Wolves did do well for the first couple of seasons - and his final season had extenuating circumstances - so perhaps there's some hope.  I'd certainly prefer him to Conte, or Fonseca/Gattuso/someother-unproven-foreign-manager.  

If we manage to start the season with some attractive/adventurous team selections, some well played matches, and maybe even a win or two, then he'll get the support of the fans behind him too.
    :)
    You see, what many people don't know is how Nuno builds the club. He pours love and respect into everything, and builds up a really positive culture...

He and his team are also meticulous; for example, virtually EVERY Wolves player lived within 2 miles of the training ground; when they flew to play abroad, the players wore two different types of support tights - one pre and one post game; they had a yoga session whilst on the plane...

This led into the first pre-covid season with almost no injuries.

It is an amazing appointment for the Spurs. And believe me, I'm no Wolves lover... :)
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    I can see that there are echoes of Poch here, a head coach of a team playing decent football who could do more at a bigger club.

Of course, being Spurs, we can be trusted to find a way to arse this up quite fantastically. 
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1013
    edited July 2021
    Has it been made clear that his backroom team are joining too? This seemed to be a stumbling block at other clubs, so I am interested to know whether Levy has taken them on or not.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14185
    tFB Trader
    I hope he plays an attractive style of play - It is good to see that you don't always have to chase the big $ earning managers who deliver so little and give such guys, as Nuno, a chance - There is a merry go round approach by so many big clubs of just appointing from a bunch of 10, or so, big name managers 

The plus point is that he can't do any worse than the previous managers in the last 10/20 years with regards to success (excluding Ramos) - So give him a chance to build an attractive package 
    Has it been made clear that his backroom team are joining too? This seemed to be a stumbling block at other clubs, so I am interested to know whether Levy has taken them on or not.
    It is my understanding he wouldn’t move without them ;)
  • eogeog Frets: 40
    I hope he plays an attractive style of play - It is good to see that you don't always have to chase the big $ earning managers who deliver so little and give such guys, as Nuno, a chance - There is a merry go round approach by so many big clubs of just appointing from a bunch of 10, or so, big name managers 

The plus point is that he can't do any worse than the previous managers in the last 10/20 years with regards to success (excluding Ramos) - So give him a chance to build an attractive package 
    I agree with all of the above.

In addition to being cautiously optimistic, I'm also relieved that the new manager won't be bringing the circus to town with him.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    Of course at Wolves there was a big Portuguese connection, with Nuno himself, agent Jorge Mendes, all the players they brought in... even the new manager is Portuguese.

I don't suppose Nuno will bring much of that network with him to Spurs, so there'll be a period of adaptation.  Maybe he'll even have more autonomy than he had at Wolves, although I guess Levy handles a lot of the decisions regarding transfers etc. 
    Philly_Q said:
     although I guess Levy handles a lot of the decisions regarding transfers etc. 
    In theory, Patrici has been appointed now (as Director of Football) to reduce Levy's involvement in those aspects.  Whether that actually happens or not, remains to be seen.  I can't see Levy giving anyone else access to the Company credit card!
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1013
    I know this isn't cast iron, but knowing how Levy works i imagine it's true:

• mendymendy Frets: 171
    edited July 2021
     B)
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    Oh hell, now Toby wants to go.