Murphy Labs finish defects

What's Hot
15678911»

Comments

• Gibson seem to have turned into Rolex - a company whose brand has become so strong that they can take the piss out of their customers and they'll keep coming back for more.

I always wanted a "proper" Gibson but I just don't know if I could bring myself to give them my money. 
    At least I haven't had to ask my girlfriend to sleep with an authorised Gibson dealer so I can get my name down for the latest and greatest LP... yet
    Or buy five guitars you don't want in order to be  'allowed' to buy the one you do... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    Not much of a Lab if they aren't properly testing their experiments. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gibson seem to have turned into Rolex - a company whose brand has become so strong that they can take the piss out of their customers and they'll keep coming back for more.

I always wanted a "proper" Gibson but I just don't know if I could bring myself to give them my money. 
    Tricky.

I think overall you could look for a CS or downward and same as any other brand - if the price is right, it's not one of the flops (and all brands do have models that miss the mark and retire) and you've done your homework on if it plays and feels right then you should have a good instrument. But equally I get if someone feels how a company behaves has crossed the line.

Specifically on Murphy Lab though, if anyone asked my opinion it's hard swerve. Even the models right down the line which haven't had any reported issues yet e.g. a tv yellow jr I wouldn't want to pay nearly £4k to beta test for them nor do I want the risk of something second hand that loses warranty protection. It's even looking like refinish yourself in worst case would be a hassle if the point about the filler being too deep for Gibson to refinish is on the nose.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Tom’s taking the piss now…

https://i.imgur.com/g7GKHYU.jpg
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Personally I’d just buy a cheap used reissue and send it to Historic Makeovers. 
    Have you seen what they are charging?
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18376
    Not much of a Lab if they aren't properly testing their experiments. 
    He probably trained at Wuhan.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Personally I’d just buy a cheap used reissue and send it to Historic Makeovers. 
    Have you seen what they are charging?
    For the work they’re doing at that skill level it still works out cheaper to buy a 2nd hand Les Paul and send it to them for the full treatment
  • Think it depends what Les Paul you’re buying and what compromises you’d make if any, because there’s not a whole lot of cheap reissues really and whilst there is genuine cause to mock Gibson about every year being a gnats hair more period correct there are years where a neck recarve would be on the cards etc.

And same as any modding exercise, it’s a labour of love and if you have to consider resale you’re not recouping those costs. That’s not to say don’t do it, but it is a very careful consideration
  • Can you imagine just trying out some guitars and getting the one that you like best?

I can't imagine how depressing it must be to be chasing some imaginary holy grail year in, year out by throwing money at any company - sounds like you're set up to fail from the off. 
  • Can you imagine just trying out some guitars and getting the one that you like best?

I can't imagine how depressing it must be to be chasing some imaginary holy grail year in, year out by throwing money at any company - sounds like you're set up to fail from the off. 
    To my mind the only sane way of dealing is to approach it as buying a guitar you’re evaluating as up to snuff or not. Aware some people do get sucked into chasing the small details (and there’s a place for being fussy when picking over used) but otherwise it’s just noise to push you towards the new model.

Obviously some stuff does make a bigger difference. The unpotted pickups are nice, I wouldn’t mind my R9 having them but equally there’s a whole aftermarket and I’ve not settled on a strong enough choice, nor is it a case of the potted custombuckers being bad or that I’m unhappy so they’ve stayed and a good chance they’ll be here still in 12 months because priorities. But when it’s stuff like a smaller headstock or the logo moving, I’m good thanks. Neck carve differences? I’m happy where I am.

At the end of the day marketing exists to make you feel a sense of something missing or being needed and then follow up to present the solution. That’s not a suddenly profound point, but a worthwhile reminder because we all forget it from time to time. I’ve probably been lucky in not really regretting buying a nice guitar but equally I’ve also had some more cost effective ones I’ve been really happy with and even those are way ahead of what I actually gigged when I did that as a teenager. I can confidently say though I’ll sleep tonight regardless of how tall the pickup rings are on my Les Paul because I love that guitar.
  • IsambardKentuckyIsambardKentucky Frets: 154
    edited January 2022
    I haven't seen much more coming out from owners with Murphy labs... does anyone have any idea how widespread the Murphy Lab defects are in reality? From reading around the various forums there looks to be mainly one guy who bought a load and is posting about the issues on more than one forum. But I haven't seen a whole lot more than that.

Reason asking -  I tried a ML LP with a dark cherry back at a good price and liked the guitar. The build date was from last year so would have been before any updates to the fabled dark cherry backs and sealer...  obviously don't want to end up with a guitar that excessively flakes (I appreciate un-plasticized lacquer is very hard and brittle) But if the issue was actually widespread would Gibson not recall the batches with issues or dealers not get the stock replaced under warranty of some such?

Basically: do you think it's a gamble getting one - or steer clear?

• tomajohatomajoha Frets: 897
    I haven't seen much more coming out from owners with Murphy labs... does anyone have any idea how widespread the Murphy Lab defects are in reality? From reading around the various forums there looks to be mainly one guy who bought a load and is posting about the issues on more than one forum. But I haven't seen a whole lot more than that.

Reason asking -  I tried a ML LP with a dark cherry back at a good price and liked the guitar. The build date was from last year so would have been before any updates to the fabled dark cherry backs and sealer...  obviously don't want to end up with a guitar that excessively flakes (I appreciate un-plasticized lacquer is very hard and brittle) But if the issue was actually widespread would Gibson not recall the batches with issues or dealers not get the stock replaced under warranty of some such?

The issues only affected the dark cherry backs (issues with pore filler) on those early models (often 2020 serial number dates). I believe they have now rectified this on all new cherry backs. I had one that was returned, shame it was a truly special guitar. Gibson has shown no inclination to recall and are instead leading it to the customer to push, but it definatley was an issue on these early guitars.

You'll be fine with any other colour,model or one of the rectified cherry backs. The new lacquer is a different improvement if you want the vintage feel - it feels thin and hard, not tacky/soft like the previous stuff.

• Was it a pain to return under warranty or did the dealer just take care of it? I don't know if the cherry back on this one is rectified as it's 2021 not 2020 as I thought the issues ran into 2021, but maybe it's not an issue.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6913
    tFB Trader

At the end of the day marketing exists to make you feel a sense of something missing or being needed and then follow up to present the solution. 
    That's advertising.

Marketing is Gibson figuring out that this is a good way to sell more guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    @WezV ;  -  61 LOLs on one post,  that IS impressive   =)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    I'm so funny :D 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    bertie said:
    @WezV ;  -  61 LOLs on one post,  that IS impressive   =)
    @bertie My curiosity was such that I had to work my way back through eleven fucking pages to find @WezV's post - re-reading all the crap I'd posted on this thread - and there it was, on page 1!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 897
    Was it a pain to return under warranty or did the dealer just take care of it? I don't know if the cherry back on this one is rectified as it's 2021 not 2020 as I thought the issues ran into 2021, but maybe it's not an issue.
    No it was simple, the dealer was GAK and they were supremely helpful. I think late 21’s were OK but early ones probably still had the issue - it’s especially obvious around the top strap button and neck join. 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3260
    tFB Trader
    I still don't get how the filler has done this tbh  I mean if I can manage to paint and age something that's still on the guitar after a few years why can't they and they have Mr Murphy, maybe he misses his razor.

I had a guitar player Pro friend play a Murphy this week and one got stuck to the lining apparently so he couldn't try it, the one he did try didn't impress him, had to laugh.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)