Murphy Labs finish defects

What's Hot

Comments

• Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1050
    Just thinking if you did have a non dealer one of these, it would be like driving around in a Prima Polonez outside of warranty. You could literally see the beads of sweat on the drivers foreheads. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZ said:
    Isn't this the whole point of a Murphy Labs Gibson?
    No, the idea is for the finish to look aged and worn like an older guitar. What people seem to be describing is the finish reacting badly and actually just coming off the guitar at points where it looks to have reacted strongly to whatever they're doing to age it. There's speculation as to what's actually causing it but I think a fair summary is the finish is not as well adhered to the guitar as it should be.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26961
    I must admit I initially lolled at the title but some of those in the MLP thread are atrocious. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    I think it'll be the sealer coats causing this imo, if they've slapped it on fast and thick it'll flake off easily enough, nitro doesn't just flake off if it's sprayed correctly.

I've always said good ageing takes time and doesn't fall off but it's a factory churning it out so I'm not surprised.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think it'll be the sealer coats causing this imo, if they've slapped it on fast and thick it'll flake off easily enough, nitro doesn't just flake off if it's sprayed correctly.

I've always said good ageing takes time and doesn't fall off but it's a factory churning it out so I'm not surprised.
    It’s not a factory it’s a lab. They have white coats and science (presumably)
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    I think it'll be the sealer coats causing this imo, if they've slapped it on fast and thick it'll flake off easily enough, nitro doesn't just flake off if it's sprayed correctly.

Yeah and it's nitro supposedly, it takes much longer to harden, I wouldn't believe a word that comes out of a factory, it's big business nothing more.

I've been ageing stuff for years so I know what works, you can only do so much to speed things up, it doesn't flake or fall off, if you don't mis treat it it doesn't check either.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059

Can't argue with that.  :)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think it'll be the sealer coats causing this imo, if they've slapped it on fast and thick it'll flake off easily enough, nitro doesn't just flake off if it's sprayed correctly.

Yeah and it's nitro supposedly, it takes much longer to harden, I wouldn't believe a word that comes out of a factory, it's big business nothing more.

I've been ageing stuff for years so I know what works, you can only do so much to speed things up, it doesn't flake or fall off, if you don't mis treat it it doesn't check either.
    I should have put an /s to make it really obvious the angle I was coming from. Personally I can’t read Murphy Labs without my mind wandering to Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Another big Gibson blowout on the horizon⸮ I suppose they'll have to do some sums to work out the refinishing costs vs massive discounting or write-off.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited June 2021
    I imagine they might pull inventory from shops and fix to try and limit the damage caused by their premium-finished, same price as a Ford Fiesta, range shedding their paint within 6 months of release. 

If they don’t do that, well...
  • Are they not designed to like relic and stuff? 

Like, that's literally what you're paying for. One of the main reasons people cite buying a relic beyond preferring the feel is not worrying about dings and scratches - clearly not the case for some people.

My affordable range Gibson tribute satin still has it's finish, so I guess they have a better finish than the Murphy labs ones? :) 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    Are they not designed to like relic and stuff? 

Like, that's literally what you're paying for. One of the main reasons people cite buying a relic beyond preferring the feel is not worrying about dings and scratches - clearly not the case for some people.

My affordable range Gibson tribute satin still has it's finish, so I guess they have a better finish than the Murphy labs ones? :) 
    Dings, scratches, some flaking are to be expected on old finishes

Buy an actual vintage LP custom and flaking, especially on the neck, is pretty authentic.

But no, flaking isn't really a desirable part of an aged finish generally.    I would tolerate a little around some of the added wear, as its a continuation of what is already there.... aged finishes will continue to age, thats fine.

Falling off without any actual playing is not good at all
  • WezV said:
    Are they not designed to like relic and stuff? 

Dings, scratches, some flaking are to be expected on old finishes

Buy an actual vintage LP custom and flaking, especially on the neck, is pretty authentic.

But no, flaking isn't really a desirable part of an aged finish generally.    I would tolerate a little around some of the added wear, as its a continuation of what is already there.... aged finishes will continue to age, thats fine.

Falling off without any actual playing is not good at all

Ah it's falling off without being played? I assumed they were being played heavily, seeing as they're Pro-level instruments.

If I had one in a case with finish falling off I'd be irate. Especially as cheap gibsons are pretty well finished... 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7024
    edited June 2021 tFB Trader
    Ah it's falling off without being played? I assumed they were being played heavily, seeing as they're Pro-level instruments.
    These guitars aren't for playing, they're investments
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7141
    Dumb looking guitars for dumb amounts of money...  ;)

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • Ah it's falling off without being played? I assumed they were being played heavily, seeing as they're Pro-level instruments.
    LOL! These guitars aren't for playing, they're investments
    Admittedly now I can’t tell either if this should have had an /s! I’d argue they’d make a poor investment since it’s felt like there’s been no shortage of them. Ironically if they pulled the line on the back of this however…

I’m going to use the word aspirational (then take a bath because it’s a bit too markety) since I do think there’s supposed to be a world where someone saves up and buys something like this as a dream instrument, or goes in for one to mark a big life event (so my R9 was paid from inheritance from grandparents, is named in memory of them etc). I’m not so naive as to think the line isn’t also trying to hit people who can just quite simply afford to spend big anyway.

I’d divorce from the idea of guitar price points being relative to playing ability though…it’s more a case of companies having an instrument at every price point. Eg Fender would probably like you to buy custom shop to be honest, will settle for you walking out with American Original if that’s your speed but ultimately would absolutely prefer you have a nice Squier and think down the line maybe the Player series than you buy someone else’s option that more closely suited your budget.

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Well we know Gibson has not hit rock bottom yet, as he has not become a PRS Endorsee lol 

It seems regardless of the driver Gibson seems to remain a train wreck in waiting.

Not sure it really needed Murphy Lab 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    edited June 2021
    I wonder if in 20 years they will be more valuable with the original flawed finish, or after the refinish.

I'm thinking of the 79 anniversary strats which got recalled for finish issues.    I have seen people ask more for the non refinished ones before on the grounds they are more collectible.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    edited June 2021
    Some people find relic as a good way so the first ding is done and not worry about more, that’s true but I feel the people who buy ML are not the same crowd, it’s almost the same mentality as PRS crowd.  They bought it for what it is and want to stay as it is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5150
    edited June 2021
    Perhaps Mark Agnesi plays every one of them before shipping.... whilst wearing his heavy leather jacket with a f-off great big zip.... B
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom