Murphy Labs finish defects

What's Hot

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3816
    My favourite comment on that MyLesPaul thread is "Murphy Meth Lab". Brilliant.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9583
    Looks like the Murphy Lab have discovered Murphy’s Law.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4131
    Murphy is not a name I would want to see associated with any Gibson I was buying after this 
      I would bin that name . This is all people are going to think of now when they hear it. It’s worse than that lame ass signature on the 2015
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    Are they not designed to like relic and stuff? 

Like, that's literally what you're paying for. One of the main reasons people cite buying a relic beyond preferring the feel is not worrying about dings and scratches - clearly not the case for some people.

Some people seem to be using ‘relic’ in its religious sense - as an object of reverence. Open case, gaze in awe, close case.

/s
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 905
    It appears to be related a specific pore filler used on the dark cherry backs only, apparently it’s corrected.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    tomajoha said:
    It appears to be related a specific pore filler used on the dark cherry backs only, apparently it’s corrected.
    How can that be possible? It’s supposed to be the exact same pore filler they used in the 1950s - which didn’t have this problem - or the tone can’t be authentic.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    tomajoha said:
    How can that be possible? It’s supposed to be the exact same pore filler they used in the 1950s - which didn’t have this problem - or the tone can’t be authentic.
    Authentic Gibson BS and I say that as a fan.

Either way hopefully they’ve isolated the issue and order can be restored to the internet 
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited June 2021
    I think @tomajoha may be commenting based on the following post on MLP? The guy on MLP had 6 that he has now returned.

MLP Thread Comment:

I just wanted to post a new thread on the Murphy Lab finish issue to correct some of my past comments and in case anyone missed some info. Here's what you need to know.

1. If you have a Murphy Lab with the dark cherry pore filler like on a '59 ultra light aged then the nitro finish is not compatible with the pore filler material. If has not started flaking off it will. It is not a question of if but when. And your entire finish will come off over time for all the areas with the dark cherry pore filler. I am speaking from both info provided to me from dealers and as an engineer with materials testing background.

2. Tom Murphy has determined what the issue is and corrected it. It should not be a problem going forward. But I would be very hesitant to buy one unless the manufacture date is a few months from now. Give it some time to prove itself out.

3. This does not appear to effect any other pore filler colors. It is not an issue on any of my other guitars with dark back, light back, light cherry back, or cherry finish like my ES-335.

4. It does not appear to be due to the nitro itself, its hardness or thickness, although it may be contributing to the problem.

5. Murphy will repair your guitar but I would not accept anything less than a complete refinish. The dealers have stepped up and taken these guitars back as well. I have returned some purchased 2 months ago. If you keep them longer than that you may not be able to get a refund and may be stuck with a repair instead. I do not know how long this repair warranty will be offered.

These are just my opinions. You may be able to get better info from your dealer or Gibson.

Please let us keep this thread just for facts on this situation and let's see how things go moving forward. I still really like these guitars and will probably buy another but maybe not unitl 2022 model year.

Good luck to all and thanks for the support thru this mess.

Link
    @terada ;I am indeed 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3816
    Murphy is not a name I would want to see associated with any Gibson I was buying after this 
      I would bin that name . This is all people are going to think of now when they hear it. It’s worse than that lame ass signature on the 2015
    Is it though? Long-established master relic-meister suffers blip, only known about on guitar forums.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  •   I still really like these guitars and will probably buy another but maybe not unitl 2022 model year.”

That’ll teach ‘em.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1729
    tFB Trader
      I still really like these guitars and will probably buy another but maybe not unitl 2022 model year.”

That’ll teach ‘em.
    Honestly is bananas having so many in the first place.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    tomajoha said:
    @terada ;I am indeed 
    Fingers crossed that will bring it to a close. Got to feel for those that have bought their dream guitar only to either have this happen or be concerned about it.

Let's hope that Gibson do the right thing and officially let people know which serials are potentially effected and then (I suppose with the retailers) give people the choice to refund or refinish.

A premium product should really have premium after sales when something goes this wrong :s :

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • terada said:

A premium product should really have premium after sales when something goes this wrong :s :

My thoughts entirely. The guy with double digit amounts is an outlier, I’d like to think the average customer with one is someone who’s saved up and this is a big premium purchase. Or at least Gibson really would do well to maintain that impression. You can get an awful lot of guitar(s) for the money spent. That someone has put it all into the one instrument is a lot of brand loyalty already and Gibson really should be acting from that starting point.

The last thing Gibson should be doing really is acting like this is business as usual. If anything they should be going far out of their way to look as if it’s anything but. They really shouldn’t want to just be letting a narrative build that 1 in 4 of their line is shite.
    terada said:
    tomajoha said:
    @terada ;I am indeed 
    Fingers crossed that will bring it to a close. Got to feel for those that have bought their dream guitar only to either have this happen or be concerned about it.

Let's hope that Gibson do the right thing and officially let people know which serials are potentially effected and then (I suppose with the retailers) give people the choice to refund or refinish.

Agreed 100%
  • wraubwraub Frets: 27
    What's interesting is that Murphy et al admit it's not a strong durable finish as one of the selling points that will guarantee an "authentic vintage ownership experience".

terada said:

If that's what the filler looks like under the finish, then it reacting with the nitro is far from the only problem.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    wraub said:
    What's interesting is that Murphy et al admit it's not a strong durable finish as one of the selling points that will guarantee an "authentic vintage ownership experience".

I think the idea is that you get something that feels like its had a lifetime of use but ages more slowly once you start having it. So kind of like reproducing real vintage guitars rather than something that just turns to dust in your hands like these are.
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    terada said:

If that's what the filler looks like under the finish, then it reacting with the nitro is far from the only problem.
    Are you referring to the look of the surface finish?
    TrentGuitars said:

Are you referring to the look of the surface finish?
    No, what looks like a thick matt brown layer completely covering the wood.