Original V covers - where the cover is better!…

What's Hot
poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
We’ve prolly done this before… but what the heck…

songs where the cover version is a belter and overshadows the original!…

my three:

“Maybe I’m amazed” McCartney v Faces

the original is great but the faces version surpasses it for me… Ronnie lane with the sublime vocal on the opening then Rod comes over the top and smashes it!!!! Have to feel a bit sorry for Lane on that one!…

“Respect” Otis v Aretha

Otis is all “woman you better make me a bloody sandwich” and Aretha comes back with “oh really?” Aretha takes that one for me just for the sass alone!

“Comfy numb” - pink floyd v scissor sisters…

one is a great track that makes you feel emotions like no other song, it literally makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck… the other is a dirge by pink floyd…

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5393
    edited June 2021
    Manfred Mann v Dylan (at least one example, probably several)

Steve 'n Seagulls v ACDC or Metallica or various others

Anyone at all v Springsteen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcWVL4B-4pI
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4476
    Blondie - The Tide is High and Denis.

Johnny Cash - Hurt.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8822
    tFB Trader
    Street fighting man Oasis vs Rolling Stones

Love the oasis version, I remember hearing it the first time when I was in my teens and I had no idea it was a cover until I discovered the Stones.

Whiskey in the jar - metallica vs thin lizzy

Not being a thin lizzy fan I don’t think it’s too hard to better the original. Sounds massive.

Turn the page - metallica vs seger 

Another one from Garage Inc, loved learning this and playing it when I was younger. 
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1589
    edited June 2021
    All Along The Watchtower, I think even Dylan said he preferred Jimi's version.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6984
    Most of Zeppelin’s first album ;P

As All Along The Watchtower has already been taken, I’ll put forward another Dylan number - Rage Against The Machine’s cover of Maggie’s Farm

https://youtu.be/q3euAfNhuR4 

I’m not sure if it counts as a cover when you’ve still got half the band there, but Page and Plant’s version of Kashmir with the full Egyptian orchestra outdoes the Led Zep original.

https://youtu.be/bzEYNsFC2gE 

And then there’s Hey Joe, which is so iconically Jimi that many don’t realise it’s a cover.

https://youtu.be/fe82eYRjiBU 

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Actually whenever this question comes up I can think of loads of songs that have been murdered by bands attempting to put their own slant on things, the Tourists version of the Dusty Springfield classic "I only want to be with you" always springs to mind.  

But Barbra Streisand's cover Laura Nyro's "Stoney End" is one of my desert island discs.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4691

Love the oasis version, I remember hearing it the first time when I was in my teens and I had no idea it was a cover until I discovered the Stones.

Madness.  (Not the band)

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I think the real test is whether people are even aware that the song is a cover. There are some songs where the cover is so popular or synonymous with the artist that most people don't even know it's a cover.

All Along The Watchtower is an obvious example.

Another would be Have Love, Will Travel . Everyone knows it as a great track by The Sonics, but I bet 95%+ of people don't know it's a cover of an old Richard Berry song...

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    I think the real test is whether people are even aware that the song is a cover. There are some songs where the cover is so popular or synonymous with the artist that most people don't even know it's a cover.

This is very true…

most people don’t realise “I think we’re alone now” by Tiffany was in fact a cover of the track written by  Ritchie cordell and released by Tommy James and the shondells!…
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8822
    tFB Trader
    rlw said:

Madness.  (Not the band)

If we all liked the same thing the world would be a boring place!
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11285
    The Stones' covers of Not Fade Away and I Wanna Be Your Man are better than the originals.

Hendrix's cover of Come On is better than Earl King's original.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4995
    Whiskey im the jar  really highlights Lars' weakness
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    The of-course one is Nilsson's "Without You" vs Badfinger's original.
    Mariah Carey murdered it, but the classic "Ken Lee" version was a great interpretation.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11540
    tFB Trader
    Judas Priest did a couple of note 
    Green Manalishi - the old Fleetwood mac tune
    Diamonds and Rust - Joan Baez

Neither are "better" than the original but and good interpretations

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• DominicDominic Frets: 16077
    Word Up
    Cameo v Korn
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16077
    In a Broken Dream
    Python Lee Jackson v Thunder
    -when we did this as a Band I was much more inclined to cover the Thunder version which I prefer ...unfortunately the others preferred the Rod original 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72210
    Hanging On The Telephone is even better.

I think the real test is whether people are even aware that the song is a cover. There are some songs where the cover is so popular or synonymous with the artist that most people don't even know it's a cover.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4134
    ICBM said:
    Hanging On The Telephone is even better.

Yep agree with last bit, Rocking all over the World, hardly anyone knows it’s a John Fogerty song. 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3650
    Dominic said:
    Word Up
    Cameo v Korn
    My favourite version is by The BossHoss, as featured in the second Kingsman film.