Open Mics - Like & Dislikes!

What's Hot
DazzaDazza Frets: 93
Hi All, I’m hosting my first open mic in a few weeks. My bandmate and I have tried to approach rememebring all the good things we’ve learnt and come across over the years and apply it to ours. The question was, what do you like and dislike about them? If you could improve anything about an open mic what would you do? We want this to go as good as we can so get any thoughts from other players would be great!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 3003
    Some people taking it far too seriously. It's just a bit of fun and the rubbish players should be applauded just as much as the good. At one I went to it nearly kicked off because there was a couple chatting (not loud) and he stopped what he was doing and started pointing the figure at them spouting off about how much time he'd spent getting it right , blah, blah.

You're not doing a concert mate and nobody's paid to get in. In fact most people aren't even listening. Just get the fck on with it and get off. Miserable cnt.

So maybe a reminder to all the performers that they're not at the Royal Albert Hall.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • DazzaDazza Frets: 93
    Good point Shrews and TBH always our approach, never seen anyone heckle and point out the audience, love it! 

I did see a chap stop 10 seconds in and suck his fingers clean saying he shouldn't have really had those cheese & onion crisps.

Its fun and very welcome and do your bit, totally!, that could be our line ‘remember folks, it aint the Albert hall’ 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    Give people a reasonable estimate of when they’ll be on, don’t have people who are there at the beginning at 8 still sitting waiting at 10.40.

before COVID started, we persuaded a couple of the Organisers and couple of pubs to do an “end of the work day” set, so you get the summer crowd finishing work, rather than just a few people who want to be out till 11pm on a Wednesday work evening .
    then COVID appeared :(

good luck whatever

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Spot on Sev112, thanks for that - we have a trusty chalk board! with running order picked as you arrive so you can decide where you go - hopefully should do it but yes, been there joy..... waiting! 

The End of the Work day idea is a great one, real shame you never managed to get it off the ground, but fingers crossed after the 19th you might be able too? Appreciate you sharing it, might be an angle for us, thanks for the good wishes mate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3117
    Shrews said:
    Some people taking it far too seriously. It's just a bit of fun and the rubbish players should be applauded just as much as the good. 
    The rubbish ones should be applauded more than the great ones, it’s all about encouraging the beginners to get better. They will come every time, the good ones will drop in when they need an ego boost!
    Also be inclusive, what I find annoying going to a new one is the feeling your not part of the club and are on trial until they work out if they like you or not.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited June 2021
    A minor quibble for me and something I've both seen and experienced, other players wanting to borrow your guitar because they haven't bought one along or prefer yours (not because they've broken a string or have an issue with their's). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    The ones I enjoyed most had whole bands doing 6 songs each.  Drums, backline and PA were provided and it was a good chance to try some different material and to get a bit of practice with an audience if we had a gig coming up.  Another one would have the usual 2 people/2-3 song format but then a jam at the end for half an hour.
    Another format that worked well was 2 (or 3 depending on numbers present) songs per act, then everyone still there gets another song after everyone has been on 
    Thanks folks @maltingsaudio totally agree, its about celebrating getting up there, it takes some doing and the feel of walking into something intimidating is never good - and I’ve had that before, arms folded ‘come on then’ is the vernal feel.

@kebabkid that is the number one annoyance, ‘this feels great, you don't mind if i...’ something for me to be aware of though.

@uncledick & @sev112 thanks - that was my plan 2/3 each then see how we go to get more in but the jam session at the end is a sound idea... having the full caboodle with regards to band I might shift to a different kind of night but you’re right a great way to try stuff out and get a feel for stuff.
  • If you're taking photos/video to promote the event on social media, get permission from the acts you record. I found myself posted to a local group once though I didn't know I was being filmed at the time. Not cool.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @bermudianbrit thanks buddy, another good point and all to easy to get swept up taking vids and not getting permission, not a nice thing to happen to you, especially when you are totally unaware!
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 941
    My advice is to actively compere the evening (or if that's not your strength or you're doing the sound, see if there's someone else who would be good at it). Introduce the acts, and explain to the audience the format and what's going to happen. In the right venue this really helps and people are more likely to pay attention if it's presented well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3059
    I'd suggest that regulars should have to perform different songs - having the same person up every week to do "Like a Hurricane" again can get a bit wearing.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    @Supportact music to my ears (excuse the pun) I’m going to be doing that bit and agin, we are trying to tackle this based upon what we've experienced and you are dead right, clarity at the beginning and running the evening so folks know what's going on is crucial, appreciate the feedback.
    @mudslide73 aha - yep, been on that continual Groundhog Day loop myself, so active encouragement to alter stuff and offer support makes a big difference, thanks!
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 941
    Dazza said:
    @Supportact music to my ears (excuse the pun) I’m going to be doing that bit and agin, we are trying to tackle this based upon what we've experienced and you are dead right, clarity at the beginning and running the evening so folks know what's going on is crucial, appreciate the feedback.
    Sounds like you're giving it plenty of thought, so you're already ahead. Good luck!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Shrews said:
    Some people taking it far too seriously. It's just a bit of fun and the rubbish players should be applauded just as much as the good.
    A rubbish player with a sense of humour is better than a tolerably good po-faced one. If you're going to take it too seriously you have to be *great*. (This requires a degree self-awareness to know the difference!)

sev112 said:
    Give people a reasonable estimate of when they’ll be on, don’t have people who are there at the beginning at 8 still sitting waiting at 10.40.
    A proper running order established at the start is the best way. This also means there's a good chance that if you organise it properly so the less-experienced players are on first, they're guaranteed an audience of at least the ones who are playing later! 

Kebabkid said:
    A minor quibble for me and something I've both seen and experienced, other players wanting to borrow your guitar because they haven't bought one along or prefer yours (not because they've broken a string or have an issue with their's). 
    I've had this too - I said no. Use your own guitar or the house guitar, don't ever ask to borrow someone else's. (House guitars may be problematic now with Covid rules though.)

Also don't bring so much gear it takes you five minutes to set it up - it makes you look pretentious, and no-one really cares what fancy sounds it makes. If your song can't be played on an acoustic guitar or with just a simple FX unit or looper it's probably not really that good a song anyway.

While it's best if your gear is battery-powered, conversely it's best if the organiser also provides a mains extension to the front of the stage in case that isn't practical - so you don't need to faff around looking for one.

Anything you can do to make the changeovers quick and keep the audience hanging around for the least time is always a good thing. Be nice to the soundman, and don't overrun your slot. And have fun :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

One one I used to go to had “themes” so that all /most performers had a similar performance, I,e. 60s, Folk, Beatle, but with a very loose interpretation .  Not super critical but with regulars it adds a little bit of fun
    @ICBM Morning, a great sum up of the conversations on here and its really appreciated. You attend these events and then, when you come to run one yourself you ‘think’ you know all the stuff to do to make it right and proper, and this has been invaluable. Your pint on the changeover is spot on, I’ve also gone extension lead crazy plus thinking of typical act scenarios and catering for that. The tricky bit as you say is a lot of gear - I’ve been a tart before an insisted on bring my tweed much to the rolling eyes of many but, it works better if not but if they do then I’ll be prepped and as helpful as poss. @sev112 Liking the themes angle, might be something I roll with once I get a couple of these setup, thanks!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    I used to go to one where everyone booked in and was given a 15 minute or three song slot, and then at midnight it became less formal with more jamming. 

The best part was that the host used to grab two performers from the first batch who'd never met before and lock them in the pub kitchen for half an hour to write a song. That was a real ice-breaker, and it didn't matter if it was a bit crap as the entire audience was onside. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom