SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sorted Martin D18 2012-present

What's Hot
xfogxhat1xfogxhat1 Frets: 15
edited July 2021 in Acoustics £
I'm looking for a Martin D18 made after 2012. Message me if you've got one that you would like to part with.

I finally got hold of a D18
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    I have a Martin D-28E modern deluxe if thats of interest?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xfogxhat1xfogxhat1 Frets: 15
    adampeter said:
    I have a Martin D-28E modern deluxe if thats of interest?
    Thanks for the offer, but I'm looking for a D18.
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3983
    I've been waiting for one of these to come up near enough to me to actually try in person before buying for about a year - beginning to think I just need to take the 3 hour trip to Coda to try a few acoustics out
    prlgmnr said:
    I've been waiting for one of these to come up near enough to me to actually try in person before buying for about a year - beginning to think I just need to take the 3 hour trip to Coda to try a few acoustics out
    There are a couple out there but people are asking nearly the same price as a new one. If nothing turns up soon I may do something I have never done before and buy a brand new guitar. Especially if I know I can sell it for just £200 less than what I paid for it if I need to. 
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    There's a D18 appeared on a local facebook page, 'buy sell musical instruments in Cumbria'. It's a 2011 though and is in Grange over Sands. £1950.
    ronnyb said:
    There's a D18 appeared on a local facebook page, 'buy sell musical instruments in Cumbria'. It's a 2011 though and is in Grange over Sands. £1950.
    Thanks, but I'm looking for something post-2012. 
  • john_ukjohn_uk Frets: 24
    Just out of interest, why post - 2012??
  • BingManBingMan Frets: 35
    2012 was the year Martin gave the D18 a much needed overhaul. 
    Forward shifted scalloped bracing, a 1 3/4 inch width nut, ageing toner, open back butterbean tuners and ebony for the fretboard and bridge. 
    They went on to do this to their full line up a few years later with the 'reimagined series'

Post 2012 D18s are fantastic and probably the best bang for buck out there.
    What BingMan said. 
    BingMan said:
    2012 was the year Martin gave the D18 a much needed overhaul. 
    Forward shifted scalloped bracing, a 1 3/4 inch width nut, ageing toner, open back butterbean tuners and ebony for the fretboard and bridge. 
    They went on to do this to their full line up a few years later with the 'reimagined series'

Post 2012 D18s are fantastic and probably the best bang for buck out there.
    Ahh I see..... I looked at quite a few D18's and settled for a 1986 as it just sounded so much better to my ears. I don't think ebony fretboard and open butterbean tuners plus the forward shifted scalloped bracing denote a better guitar  (a different one perhaps?)  I would never exclude any year. Tone is a fairly subjective thing and I guess the moral of all this is to try first and make your mind up. I disagree with the "much needed overhaul"...nothing wrong with pre 2012. Marketing at its best??
  • BingManBingMan Frets: 35
    nothing wrong with the pre 2012... i'd really like one from 1937!  ;)

joking aside, it depends what you want from a guitar, but I would say, in my opinion, from 2012 the changes they made to the standard series is definitely a step up from what they were previously offering. Open back tuners make it lighter than one with rotomatics, scalloped bracing gets the top going better and is more responsive, ebony board and bridge give it the more classic, pre-war look. And tonally, they will sound very different (up to you whether that means better)

If the 2012 D18 it wasn't such a success Martin wouldn't have given the rest of their line up the same treatment... must be doing something right other than just marketing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    BingMan said:
    nothing wrong with the pre 2012... i'd really like one from 1937!  ;)

joking aside, it depends what you want from a guitar, but I would say, in my opinion, from 2012 the changes they made to the standard series is definitely a step up from what they were previously offering. Open back tuners make it lighter than one with rotomatics, scalloped bracing gets the top going better and is more responsive, ebony board and bridge give it the more classic, pre-war look. And tonally, they will sound very different (up to you whether that means better)

If the 2012 D18 it wasn't such a success Martin wouldn't have given the rest of their line up the same treatment... must be doing something right other than just marketing.
    Some would say a more mature wood trumps over a forward shifted scalloped bracing...lol...again, its a very subjective topic no right or wrong, everyone has a different idea as to what tone is for them. All I'm saying is never restrict yourself in choice.

As for marketing...yup that's all it is...it sells ! 
    are you in for the one that's ending on ebay tonight?

I was going to bid up to about 1750 but it now looks like it's going to go past 2000
    prlgmnr said:

I was going to bid up to about 1750 but it now looks like it's going to go past 2000
    Yeah, I’m watching that one but it’s crazy how much used ones are going for. I doubt I get it. 
    xfogxhat1 said:
    prlgmnr said:

Yeah, I’m watching that one but it’s crazy how much used ones are going for. I doubt I get it. 
    I got it. Paid more than I wanted to, but in a few days I should be playing on a D18.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I got it. Paid more than I wanted to, but in a few days I should be playing on a D18.
    Congrats...welcome to the D18 Club :)
    ah well done, more than I wanted to shell out on something I haven't actually heard but that seems to be the going rate at the moment 

What's the verdict?
    prlgmnr said:
    What's the verdict?
    It's really good. I've been playing mainly Gibsons for a long time and the Martin is very different, but I like it.