Spark sound quality vs Bias FX2? Why is the Spark worse?

What's Hot
Crazyblue1779Crazyblue1779 Frets: 171
I’ve had a Spark for a good few months and I’m enjoying the versatility and the platform. I also own Bias FX2 on the iPad. I like the size too as it sits pretty well on my desk. 

I do like the Spark but  I’m really disappointed in the sound quality compared to the Bias FX software, especially considering they’re from the same company. 

I know the Spark speaker is pretty heavy on the bass, but I primarily play through headphones and still the tone is lacking in comparison. My V100 in particular sounds fantastic through Bias but muddy as anything through the Spark unless the bass is cut right down. 

I would have thought that Positive Grid would have allowed owners of both to allow the Bias FX to be routed through the Spark to give the best of both worlds but apparently not….!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    It’s probably “tuned” to the internal speaker which they will compensating for due to size, so maybe eq’ing it is the answer.

Bias will also be digital to analog converted through the Apple device, which will probably be better than the DA conversation in the spark.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Probably the speaker in the Spark.  I have a Marshall MS-2.  Pretty grotty and useless as it is, it sounds a lot better when the internal speaker is out of circuit and the output is redirected to an external speaker cab.  I used a spare input Jack socket (which has a switch built in) to switch off the internal speaker and thus connect to the external cab but there are online videos showing other ways of achieving this aim.

So, could you try using the Spark through an external speaker?  Such action would invalidate the guarantee but .......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• BarquentineBarquentine Frets: 282
    I played through a Spark for the first time this week and didn't like it at all. Bassy, muddy and not at all tube-like. I also played through a Vox MV50 AC into it's companion 8" speaker and it sounded great. 
  • inewhaminewham Frets: 138
    I found the spark really muddy to begin with but for me the trick was just keeping the gain as low as I could get away with, its much brighter then. Oh and the noise gate tends to kill the tone so now I just leave that off.

For improving the sound through the speakers blocking the port in the front helps (the grill is just velcro'd on)

Ian
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • inewham said: hi
    I found the spark really muddy to begin with but for me the trick was just keeping the gain as low as I could get away with, its much brighter then. Oh and the noise gate tends to kill the tone so now I just leave that off.

For improving the sound through the speakers blocking the port in the front helps (the grill is just velcro'd on)

Ah good to know! I’ll give this a blast!
    Dont know if it might help but I twigged on to keeping the gain down after watching this 

Ian
    Just to follow up I've just updated to the new firmware released today (1.4.3.174) and I swear it seems a lot better in headphones
    Before it was so muddy, even in headphones that I bought a JC22, now it sounds OK.

The update also adds a few amps, a Klon pedal and an EQ (which goes in the Modulation position so you cant have e.g EQ and Chorus) but the improvement in tone it the real win for me.

Ian
  • inewham said:
    Just to follow up I've just updated to the new firmware released today (1.4.3.174) and I swear it seems a lot better in headphones
    Before it was so muddy, even in headphones that I bought a JC22, now it sounds OK.

The update also adds a few amps, a Klon pedal and an EQ (which goes in the Modulation position so you cant have e.g EQ and Chorus) but the improvement in tone it the real win for me.
    I’m looking forward to trying the update ( unfortunately my desktop is current out of action as we’re decorating so I need to wait!).