Analogue delays.... what's your recommendations?

What's Hot
horseheadhorsehead Frets: 219
So currently on my board is a DD8 that I bought, that I love, but I've noticed that all I do have it set on the analogue setting most of the time leading me to think....do I get an analogue delay instead? I've seen a few out there (the ibanez, maxon, boss etc) not really a budget, but want something that sounds good, at least 600 ms and something I can have fun with, what say you lot?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7145
    “Not really a budget”….

so, Moog MF104M 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 219
    “Not really a budget”….

so, Moog MF104M 
    Lol, How'd you guess?

I think £299 is max
  • Boss DM2w could be a good shout. MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe too, if you want tap tempo.

Bye!

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3598
    edited June 2021
    You lose options IMHO.. I use a digital unit and like the analog and tape options too.. but I get ducking, modulation/flutter, LPF control, tap tempo and patches.   You might get one sound with a boss or ibanez.. but will it be everything forever.

MXR Carbon Copy deluxe has tap tempo, subdivisions and modulation and a bright/eq switch.  So might be good choice if you like the darker sound.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9447
    UAD Starlight
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 334
    I've just put up my Syncopy it's an excellent analog delay a bit like Chase Bliss RKM except a lot cheaper :)

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/209300/fs-dd-3t-echoplex-sd-1-keeley-mod-syncopy-angry-rhubarb#latest
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Strymon Brigadier is the best I’ve tied, it’s beautifully voiced in my opinion. 
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 916
    I really shouldn't read this thread, I'm gassing for a DOD Rubberneck, I suspect I'm gonna end up with more options...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I love the stone deaf Syncopy and the t-Rex replicator jr. both require a bit of investment to get the most out of. Still finding new uses for the Syncopy. Was just in the middle of using both 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I think the Syncopy has gone out of production and used prices are a bit wack. 

The DOD Rubberneck people love as a fun delay. 

The Sinvertek Fluid Time MKii is also fun, the compact size is useful or fiddly depending on your point of view.

The Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail Deluxe ticks a lot of boxes - fun stuff, presets,etc. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    edited June 2021
    For straight use the dm-2 waza, otherwise the Delay Llama Xtreme is great if you want presets and mod.
  • EricTheWeary said:
    I think the Syncopy has gone out of production and used prices are a bit wack. 
    Yes, although I think Stone Deaf have been canvassing for interest in a mk 2. For now they are developing some DSP based stuff ala Strymon. Super interested to see how that turns out. If you see it come up at a reasonable price definitely recommend it. On the other hand I am now hoping the second hand prices go full on Klon so I never have to work again

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Delay Llama Xtreme. Beautiful core delay tone, and the Xtreme modes are great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Something that's just knobs to twiddle but does all the spaceship stuff is the Teisco. 
  • It’ll be interesting to see what the Dreadbox delay/looper will be, though the presence of a looper marks it out as likely digital 
    It’ll be interesting to see what the Dreadbox delay/looper will be, though the presence of a looper marks it out as likely digital 
    Ahh, I was looking at the flanger on TPS, very cool. I wondered if a delay might come along. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881
    The Boss DM-2W is phenomenal. 

For analogue voiced but actually digital I can't recommend the Hungry Robot Moby Dick enough. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Supro Delay MN3005 is a sleeper as is the Skreddy

Agree re Delay Llama and DM2

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 905
    edited June 2021
    I had a Maxon AD999 when I was gigging in a band and it was awesome, no idea why I sold it on. Later got a small TS9 sized Maxon analog delay but didn't like it. Recently got  DM2W and it's amazing, you should get one.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    All the fancy option heavy analogue delays I've tried have been disappointing.

For basic stuff the DM-2w, vapour trail and Echo Puss are all excellent.