Analogue delays.... what's your recommendations?

What's Hot

Comments

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    I think you can't go wrong with a Carbon Copy or Carbon Copy Bright. However, unless you are absolutely fixed on a true analogue pedal, the TC Flashback Mini 2 is Toneprint enabled and can get you identical (to my ears) sounds.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3008
    A few years ago I had a Boss DD7 and like the OP, I pretty much stayed on the analog setting. I had that same thought, to go to a “proper” analog delay instead. I’ve now got a Dod Rubberneck, DM2w and a DD500. To be honest non of these were “better” than the DD7 analog setting, just different. 

Honestly, if you can, I’d hang on to the DD8 and try to audition some of the pedals mentioned in this thread before heading down the rabbit hole of finding something “better”. You might find that you actually prefer what you already own.

Boring answer I know. Sorry.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I think where "real" analog delays win is where you adjust the knobs live to get pitch effects and balance it on the edge of running away.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 850
    Ibanez Echo Shifter (but I don't like the feet)
    Maxon AD999
    Behringer Vintage Time Machine
    Also have one based on a Deep Blue Delay with a max-out momentary switch

Only the Ibanez has tap tempo. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Gassage said:
    Supro Delay MN3005 is a sleeper as is the Skreddy

Agree re Delay Llama and DM2
    +1 on the Supro. Super underrated pedal. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I think where "real" analog delays win is where you adjust the knobs live to get pitch effects and balance it on the edge of running away.
    This definitely, I haven't found a digital pedal that can do this properly (admittedly I don't have the budget to have tried more than a few).

If that's not a factor for you, the Strymon Brigadier sounds great and has more versatility than an analogue pedal, including longer and brighter repeats, plus tap tempo etc.

If you want proper analogue, then I think MXR's Carbon Copy is a modern classic for a reason: it's simple, sounds good, particularly the modulation, and sits well in a track. I found the CC Deluxe to be disappointing by comparison but other people like it.

The BOSS DM-2W is perfect if you don't want modulation, and has an expression pedal input for more fun.

The Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail has a loop so you can apply more effects to the repeats which is fun too.

Hmm this is in danger of turning into a list of pedals I wish I hadn't sold ...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you don’t mind the lack of modulation, the DM-2W is utterly fabulous. 
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 895
    I was in exactly the same situation. Was using a Digitech obscura delay which was very good but found I was just using the analogue setting. So, wondered about getting an analogue pedal. Tried a few and ended up with a DOD Rubberneck. It's a little harder to control, more likely to go into self oscillation, therefore more unpredictable. But, the sound is better for me, really lush and 3d. And I actually like some of the mad stuff it does. I also tried an old DOD fx90 which cost £40 off eBay and I thought sounded great as a more simple option. Only a relatively short delay time on that one though.
  • vizviz Frets: 10645
    Keeley / ibanez AD9 always an option. I love it. Very discreet. Just sounds like you’re in an echoey place, plus has the self-modulation
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    Another vote here for the boss dm2w. It’s a really fantastic pedal. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    Cheaper end - DOD rubberneck 

Big money end - moogerfooger mf104m of mf104sd
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EskerEsker Frets: 80
    No mentions for the Jam delay LLama, beautifully voiced and awesome build quality
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    Esker said:
    No mentions for the Jam delay LLama, beautifully voiced and awesome build quality
    Pretty sure it was mentioned twice on page 1?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
    I like the deluxe mm 550t. It does impart it's own tobe, but i like it. I use it always on with a exp pedal for mox so can bring in as needed. 

My go to for gigging.

Home use is the moog MF-104M or the delay llana xtreme
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    Gassage said:
     as is the Skreddy

Not actually an analogue delay- used the PT2399 digital chip that lots of brands use for their analogue-alike delays.

Doesn't mean it doesn't sound good, and may or may not matter to the OP depending on whether he's dead set on a genuine analogue delay, or just a good "analogue sounding" delay.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3490
    Ok, what about 'analogue OR analogue sounding delay with modulation'? 

I remember liking the PGS Echoplex toneprint in FB2
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 219
    Sooooo....

I may have bought a Boss DM2W

And a Maxon AD999!

Oops
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • slowpilgrimslowpilgrim Frets: 134
    Gassage said:
    Supro Delay MN3005 is a sleeper as is the Skreddy

Agree re Delay Llama and DM2
    this is the truth and answers the question.

if you're going to spend more, just get a fulltone echoplex or an RE-150 or something.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7143
    New Suhr offering looks potentially very special 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom