Looking for a small, quiet isolated power supply for 'mini-pedal board'

What's Hot
2

Comments

  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 3415
    edited June 28
    Esker said:
    I would get the Strymon Ojai, £145 very well spent.
    Thanks but way too expensive and don't need it's expandability. The Fender lvl5 is only £88, and TRex fuel tank junior is only £79
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 7996
    I would get the Fender Lvl5 purely for the fact that each outputs does 500mA.  The Fuel Tank only does 120mA. Fine for analogue pedals but not the big digital ones. For the £9 difference, it is a lot more power and a lot more future proof.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 3415
    I would get the Fender Lvl5 purely for the fact that each outputs does 500mA.  The Fuel Tank only does 120mA. Fine for analogue pedals but not the big digital ones. For the £9 difference, it is a lot more power and a lot more future proof.
    I agree in principal but it's only for my 3 pedal all analogue board. I dont have big digital pedals. And as far as I know (but I stand to be corrected) I can't use these power supplies with an MFX like my Line 6 Pod Go, that is 9v but the psu is 3,000 mA? 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 7996
    Voxman said:
    I would get the Fender Lvl5 purely for the fact that each outputs does 500mA.  The Fuel Tank only does 120mA. Fine for analogue pedals but not the big digital ones. For the £9 difference, it is a lot more power and a lot more future proof.
    I agree in principal but it's only for my 3 pedal all analogue board. I dont have big digital pedals. And as far as I know (but I stand to be corrected) I can't use these power supplies with an MFX like my Line 6 Pod Go, that is 9v but the psu is 3,000 mA? 
    It needs 3000?  That is beyond most PSU but the HUGE ones like the lvl12 but even that you need to bridge a lot of outputs which i don't think they make the cables for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 3415
    edited June 28
    Voxman said:
    I would get the Fender Lvl5 purely for the fact that each outputs does 500mA.  The Fuel Tank only does 120mA. Fine for analogue pedals but not the big digital ones. For the £9 difference, it is a lot more power and a lot more future proof.
    I agree in principal but it's only for my 3 pedal all analogue board. I dont have big digital pedals. And as far as I know (but I stand to be corrected) I can't use these power supplies with an MFX like my Line 6 Pod Go, that is 9v but the psu is 3,000 mA? 
    It needs 3000?  That is beyond most PSU but the HUGE ones like the lvl12 but even that you need to bridge a lot of outputs which i don't think they make the cables for.
    I checked and although the psu is 3,000mA I think it actually only needs 2,500 mA. I have the original and a non L6 backup psu for it that has a longer, thicker cable. But the psu's all have worryingly thin wires that aren't really gig worthy and the Line 6 PSU is ludicrously short. So an IEC with just a short connector lead to the PG would have been better. But I'm not paying a ton extra just for that.  

    So, just a thought, the Fender LVL5 has 5x500mA - so if these were connected together to give 2,500mA presumably it would still be the same 9v overall & in theory shouldn't that be able to power my Pod Go too?  If so, how do you connect them together - a 5-prong daisy chain or something else? 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HTownMattHTownMatt Frets: 2
    edited July 5
    I power my whole board from a diago power station, it is 9v and has 3a total power rating. you can either daisy chain or use the gig rig type. I have built a lot of boards over the years for myself and others, I always advise a switch mode type of supply the same technology as laptop chargers rather than a transformer type, they are generally quieter and don’t get as hot as transformers. I can send you some pics of my main board if you like it’s running a HX stomp, a switcher and several pedals all from one supply and is silent. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 3415
    edited July 5
    HTownMatt said:
    I power my whole board from a diago power station, it is 9v and has 3a total power rating. you can either daisy chain or use the gig rig type. I have built a lot of boards over the years for myself and others, I always advise a switch mode type of supply the same technology as laptop chargers rather than a transformer type, they are generally quieter and don’t get as hot as transformers. I can send you some pics of my main board if you like it’s running a HX stomp, a switcher and several pedals all from one supply and is silent. 
    Many thanks @HTownMatt - a definite possibility based on reviews, plus it could power my Pod Go.      


    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HTownMattHTownMatt Frets: 2
    Ahh ok. I’m sure that the fender will be a decent product.  I noticed your previous post about combining the 500ma outputs to get a higher current rating using a linear regulated power supply, I’d advise against running lots of outputs in this way it will get very hot because of the way that these types of circuits are designed. for a few quid more you can buy a product which uses different technology (switching regulation)  that will offer you a more flexible solution. It’s expensive but the gig rig stuff is the best available. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 2587
    A used GigRig Generator.

     www.cairoeast.co.uk - Madness Tribute band (Bass Player) and guitarist elsewhere
    Feedback - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57885/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 3415
    HTownMatt said:
    Ahh ok. I’m sure that the fender will be a decent product.  I noticed your previous post about combining the 500ma outputs to get a higher current rating using a linear regulated power supply, I’d advise against running lots of outputs in this way it will get very hot because of the way that these types of circuits are designed. for a few quid more you can buy a product which uses different technology (switching regulation)  that will offer you a more flexible solution. It’s expensive but the gig rig stuff is the best available. 
    Thanks for that. The main purpose is for my mini fx loop.  A key requirement is for silent running; will the Diego be as quiet as an isolated solution?  I'm not sure what switching regulation is...could you explain for me please? Many thanks. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HTownMattHTownMatt Frets: 2
    Yes it will be, the problem you will face is that unless you are using a dedicated power supply you won’t find a power brick type supply which is capable of delivering 2.5ma isolated current. This is because they take the total available current and divide it up into segments which are separate from one another so the interference which each pedal creates. If you add multiples together they are not isolated anymore and are running in series so you will get noise. Power regulation Is a difficult subject to explain in few words but if you google the subject there is lots of good stuff using graphics. A previous poster suggested a used gig rig generator which is a good idea. I use their stuff to distribute the power the diago provides. What you can do using this method is send a large current to your line 6 product and then send isolated feeds to the individual single pedals. This will give you the best of both worlds. For this you will need a switch mode power source (diago/gig rig) a gig rig distributor and a gig rig isolator. It sounds like a lot but honestly it’s a sound investment. Power isn’t a sexy purchase but it makes a massive difference. For context Around 15 years ago I was a diago ambassador before James sold the company to John hornby skewes and the 2 power stations I had back them are still the only power supplies i use. I have never had to buy another one. I use them for anything which needs dc power. I have a selection of the gig rig ancillary products and converters etc. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 3415
    HTownMatt said:
    Yes it will be, the problem you will face is that unless you are using a dedicated power supply you won’t find a power brick type supply which is capable of delivering 2.5ma isolated current. This is because they take the total available current and divide it up into segments which are separate from one another so the interference which each pedal creates. If you add multiples together they are not isolated anymore and are running in series so you will get noise. Power regulation Is a difficult subject to explain in few words but if you google the subject there is lots of good stuff using graphics. A previous poster suggested a used gig rig generator which is a good idea. I use their stuff to distribute the power the diago provides. What you can do using this method is send a large current to your line 6 product and then send isolated feeds to the individual single pedals. This will give you the best of both worlds. For this you will need a switch mode power source (diago/gig rig) a gig rig distributor and a gig rig isolator. It sounds like a lot but honestly it’s a sound investment. Power isn’t a sexy purchase but it makes a massive difference. For context Around 15 years ago I was a diago ambassador before James sold the company to John hornby skewes and the 2 power stations I had back them are still the only power supplies i use. I have never had to buy another one. I use them for anything which needs dc power. I have a selection of the gig rig ancillary products and converters etc. 
    I wouldn't be using the same supply to power my PG and mini-fx board at the same time but I appreciate I'd have 500mA spare so it could do if I wanted to (eg at home). The PG is not my primary consideration to be frank, but I might consider the Diago if I can find one at a reasonable cost.  Many thanks for all your help; interesting stuff and as is so often the case, not quite as straightforward as these things sometimes appear.   B) :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 2072
    edited July 7
    You could try a truetone one spot, with a daisy chain
    https://truetone.com/1-spot/

    You have all analogue pedals, so that may be quiet enough on its own.

    Then, if necessary, add one or more of these...
    https://www.joyoaudio.co.uk/joyo-zgp-guitar-effect-pedal-filter-isolated-output-power
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 3415
    NelsonP said:
    You could try a truetone one spot, with a daisy chain
    https://truetone.com/1-spot/

    You have all analogue pedals, so that may be quiet enough on its own.

    Then, if necessary, add one or more of these...
    https://www.joyoaudio.co.uk/joyo-zgp-guitar-effect-pedal-filter-isolated-output-power
    Thanks for this. I have a number of different power supplies so not really interested in the one spot, but the Joyo looks interesting and thanks for flagging this. As my key issue is noise it might well be worth a try as it's cheap as chips.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 7996
    I still think, after my own research of needing something small, silent but lots of power, future proof....the DC7 is the one to go for.  Ojai R30 is a close 2nd.  The Fender if you only need 5 and 1/3rd of the price of the DC7.  


    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 3415
    @RaymondLin ; thanks but I only need 3 as per my OP
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 199
    edited July 8
    The cioks adam is decent. Just bought one for a pedal train nano. Fits under the board nicely. Powers 4 9v pedals with no bother. It has three pin power.

    Used to have the fuel tank junior which had a ropey two pin power input. Didn't have problems with it but it always seemed flimsy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 3415
    AndyJP said:
    The cioks adam is decent. Just bought one for a pedal train nano. Fits under the board nicely. Powers 4 9v pedals with no bother. It has three pin power.

    Used to have the fuel tank junior which had a ropey two pin power input. Didn't have problems with it but it always seemed flimsy.
    Thanks, but it's less versatile, less powerful, and more expensive than the Fender LVL5. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 859
    HTownMatt said:
    Yes it will be, the problem you will face is that unless you are using a dedicated power supply you won’t find a power brick type supply which is capable of delivering 2.5ma isolated current. This is because they take the total available current and divide it up into segments which are separate from one another so the interference which each pedal creates. If you add multiples together they are not isolated anymore and are running in series so you will get noise. Power regulation Is a difficult subject to explain in few words but if you google the subject there is lots of good stuff using graphics. A previous poster suggested a used gig rig generator which is a good idea. I use their stuff to distribute the power the diago provides. What you can do using this method is send a large current to your line 6 product and then send isolated feeds to the individual single pedals. This will give you the best of both worlds. For this you will need a switch mode power source (diago/gig rig) a gig rig distributor and a gig rig isolator. It sounds like a lot but honestly it’s a sound investment. Power isn’t a sexy purchase but it makes a massive difference. For context Around 15 years ago I was a diago ambassador before James sold the company to John hornby skewes and the 2 power stations I had back them are still the only power supplies i use. I have never had to buy another one. I use them for anything which needs dc power. I have a selection of the gig rig ancillary products and converters etc. 
    Interesting! I've had the power station for quite a long time, and the mess of daisy chain is ticking me off. I'll have to look into this. 

    The other annoying thing about it is the difficulty in getting it to stay attached to the underside of the pedalboard. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 859
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
Sign In or Register to comment.