Cancelled my Holiday

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 22913
    I'm currently in a beautiful cottage in a lovely Cotswold village, with my wife and two fantastic friends. 

I'm pretty well travelled and have lived and worked in many countries, but I wouldn't swap what I'm doing right now for a crappy package beach holiday. 

If you think holidays in the UK have to be crap then you're doing it wrong.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 9292
    It's true, I do love traveling to far flung spots but a cottage holiday by the sea in UK is always nice, when my kids were younger they preferred that over long haul, even if the weather is a bit of a gamble. Now they are both at that mid teens age when they are too young to be left on their own but too old to want to have fun with their folks. I wish they'd grow up quicker. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 12287
    Currently in a car park in Fort William. It's not a bad car park at all. Seen some lovely bits of Scotland so far, hoping to get out of the car park later and do some touristy stuff. It's the yacht haven at Largs after here which just seems like a quirky place to stay. 
    Just be nice to have the choice. 
    Inhale away Jackson Jeffrey Jackson. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 9292
    Currently in a car park in Fort William. It's not a bad car park at all. Seen some lovely bits of Scotland so far, hoping to get out of the car park later and do some touristy stuff. It's the yacht haven at Largs after here which just seems like a quirky place to stay. 
    Lovely, Ive stayed up there in a cottage before. Went up Ben Nevis.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 1820
    edited July 7
    Kilgore said:
    Narrowboat holidays are great.

You travel through some of the most beautiful countryside on the first highways of the industrial age at the terrifying speed of 3mph. Enjoy! 

I'm sure there's some lovely stretches of canal in the UK and it would be very enjoyable. I just always imagine going through rough parts of Glasgow dodging syringes and used condoms while youngsters throw bucky bottles at you 

There's a great episode of still game where they take a boat trip down the river  :)
    We were here must have been 20+ years ago and went up Nevis in the cable car with our small black dog Bilbo who went absolutely mental jumping about in what snow there was, happy memory. 
  • Currently in a car park in Fort William. It's not a bad car park at all. Seen some lovely bits of Scotland so far, hoping to get out of the car park later and do some touristy stuff. It's the yacht haven at Largs after here which just seems like a quirky place to stay. 
    His name is Kevin.
    My band: TACOMA NARROWS BRIDGE DISASTER
    Trading feedback: https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/147077/
    I like Japanties. Not the forum Road Warrior.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 1057
    We're spending our hols at our Sussex house this year.....
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 1057
    We only have the one house though :-(

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 1546
    Brecon beacons last year, Ross on Wye this year. Plus substantial investment in Brewdog. We are not resuming foreign travel until the government get a clue. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 4902
    edited July 14
    p90fool said:
    I'm currently in a beautiful cottage in a lovely Cotswold village, with my wife and two fantastic friends. 

I'm pretty well travelled and have lived and worked in many countries, but I wouldn't swap what I'm doing right now for a crappy package beach holiday. 

If you think holidays in the UK have to be crap then you're doing it wrong.  
    Nothing crap about UK holidays, but I don't fancy doing one at peak time. too busy and most of our places can't really cope with a big influx of tourists. There's already tons of cyclists in the Peaks, makes getting anywhere a right pain in the arse at times.

A crappy package beach holiday is the last thing I'd choose, and is of course, not your only option. I'd sooner be in a nice Mediterranean village though. 
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 1872
    My holiday always involves touring on my motorbike and I've missed the usual trip to somewhere in Europe for the past 2 years. I can't be arsed to jump through hoops with before/after PCR tests etc. so I'm staying home again. Last year went to Wales twice, loved it and this year is likely to be Scotland and maybe grab a quick ferry over to Ireland if things are fine to do that. There's a lot to see here but I really, really miss riding on the continent. 

My trip was West Midlands up to Skye and back via various places. 
    Pretty much everywhere we went was busy although we also had the Scottish school holidays. I think somewhere such as Cornwall would be busier, no huge holiday traffic jams or anything like that for us. 
    The social distancing, mask wearing generally far less observed than I've seen at home and work. But, people on holiday in the sunshine I guess. Thankfully the production of macaroni pies doesn't seem to have been disrupted. 

People on my facebook groups going to France now, but the hassle and extra cost are still very off putting at the moment ( plus all the Brexit rules about not taking your own sandwiches and all that). Maybe later in the year or if I could go there for a long stretch.      
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 9642
    Adey said:
    We only have the one house though :-(

swap bedrooms, and hide all the kitchen equipment
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom