School absence letter

What's Hot
DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 3954
edited June 29 in Coronavirus
My step son (who I just refer to as my son) has got some diagnosed allergies that mean he has periods of a few days where he will cough and sneeze quite a lot. Obviously a bit worrying for people near him in times like this, but he knows how to cover his nose and mouth and he doesn't have covid.

Despite this the school keep telling him he can't come in. Twice they've made me take him for a thing up his nose, and others they just say he needs to stay at home. Other times our daughter has been ill and hasn't gone to nursery, so they've said he can't go in either. They haven't given him work to do in this time, even though they know he's not actually ill.

We've now had a letter through from the school saying that his attendance isn't good enough, and that as a result over the next 4 weeks they're going to be monitoring him.
Literally every single time he's been off its because one of them has freaked out and said he can't come in. He's then cried because he misses his friends.

I'm considering emailing the school asking if they're having a laugh or was this was an automated letter, as no way can I believe actual human thought has gone in to this. Is this advisable? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitartangoguitartango Frets: 646
    Just ignore the letter, if there is a problem then the School Office will contact you. My daughter suffers from Asthma and we had a few letters... straight in the bin. If you are worried then contact the School.
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 3954
    Thanks that's reassuring. I wasn't sure whether I should point out he hasn't exactly been skiving, before they take any sort of action. Not sure what that would be though.

There have been several times where he's been in full uniform and they've said no he can't come in, then he's confused about why he's been driven to school and then home again when he's not even ill, and he starts crying. Why tell a kid he can't come in to school, and then send a vaguely threatening letter saying he hasn't been in to school enough?
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1075
    edited June 29
    I’d write and point out that his absences have been at their request despite his lack of illness. If nothing more than to just have that on record if they get arsey later. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 3735
    What @springhead said.

This is a classic lack of joined up communication.  We had a similar thing at my work with a colleague who was off for an extended period with serious illness; she got a big bunch of flowers, box of chocolates and a get well soon card from the whole team on the same day as a letter from HR informing her that she was under formal investigation for excessive absence.

Write back with something along the lines of:

“Dear School, thank you for your letter dated 29th June informing us that DefaultM Jr’s attendance will be monitored over the next four weeks.

I would like to bring to your attention the fact that all of his recent periods of non-attendance have been at the express request of the school, as it was not possible to distinguish the symptoms of his diagnosed allergies (coughing, sneezing) from those of COVID.  On a number of occasions, he has presented himself at school only to be denied entry and told to return home.

Given the above, I would be grateful if you could let me know if you still feel it necessary to monitor his attendance.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 8003
    I’d write and point out that his absences has been at their request despite his lack of illness. If nothing more than to just have that on record if they get arsey later. 
    Totally agree. Polite but factual. So you and they are covered. 
    Anything that isn’t pentatonic is pretentious wank -  LastMantra
    more on the strength of my ability to own a PA than to play a guitar” - ICBM
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 10836
    what they said, but I'd possibly also think about maybe adding something like a photo of the head teacher's car on their driveway. It shows you're serious, they respect that, honest.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 9509
    We had similar when my daughter was long term ill with doctor notes etc...........4 letters despite resonding to each.
    Modern World Automaton response of Council when the attendance figures fox the Algorithm for data input.
    If you write a response saying your son has been kidnapped by Pirates and is being forced to scrub the decks on the Spanish Maine by Blackbeard himself they will still send you the same letters.
    I responded to the last one by explaining that my daughter had been abducted by Aliens and we didn't know when she would be back .......we still didn't get any response.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Haha thanks il email them. I thought maybe it was an automated letter that goes out when a child hits a certain threshold, but it's got handwriting on it and he's not even been off in a few weeks. So someone has clearly read/wrote it and made a decision to send it.
    Just had a text 15 minutes before school started saying there's a positive case in the year above so he can't come in  :s
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 9644
    viz said:
    I’d write and point out that his absences has been at their request despite his lack of illness. If nothing more than to just have that on record if they get arsey later. 
    Totally agree. Polite but factual. So you and they are covered. 
    I would also request that they define a plan to avoid your son being repeatedly in tears when turned away from school at the entrance with no notice
    They didn't send him any work, so he did some more of the comic that he's been writing and then read a book.
    I assume a kid called in sick that morning and so they took the decision at short notice, but why they don't have anything in place to send the work within a few hours of this happening I've no idea. The teacher must have had a lesson plan, and there's an online platform. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 9509
    My daughter's school gave her authorised absence for yesterday to go and sit an important exam elsewhere.
    Sure enough we received the unauthorised absence letter this morning telling us that they had not even received a phone call from us.
     Mindless.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 1777
    edited July 9
    DefaultM said:
    They didn't send him any work, so he did some more of the comic that he's been writing and then read a book.
    I assume a kid called in sick that morning and so they took the decision at short notice, but why they don't have anything in place to send the work within a few hours of this happening I've no idea. The teacher must have had a lesson plan, and there's an online platform. 
    And they will still be delivering the lesson in school. I’m surprised that they couldn’t just add him on teams (or whichever platform they are using) so that he can access the lesson whilst it is being delivered, despite his being at home. 
    This school is an absolute joke. 

They told my son he couldn't come in because he might have been infected by a kid in the same year. Obviously in that situation he's then coming home to our 4 year old daughter and they're all over each other all the time so why wouldn't he then be infecting her?
    We kept him off school and also her off nursery (in the same building). After a few days everyone apart from me became ill, but it wasn't covid.

During the week they sent a text saying "if you've got siblings at home isolating don't bring them on to school property when you collect the other kid". I thought why would the other kid be at the school if their sibling has potential covid?
    Took them both back today and the nursery teacher started shouting at my wife, saying she should have been in, and that she needs to call her to talk about this immediately. My wife explained and said you can on Monday, but the nursery teacher said no it needs to be today. Goes back in the classroom and my wife hears her shout through the door "IF SHE'S GOT A TEMPERATURE I'M SENDING HER STRAIGHT BACK HOME!"

Mixed message after mixed message and actually shouting at parents and then shouting in front of kids. What the fuck?
  • DefaultM said:
    This school is an absolute joke. 

They told my son he couldn't come in because he might have been infected by a kid in the same year. Obviously in that situation he's then coming home to our 4 year old daughter and they're all over each other all the time so why wouldn't he then be infecting her?
    We kept him off school and also her off nursery (in the same building). After a few days everyone apart from me became ill, but it wasn't covid.

During the week they sent a text saying "if you've got siblings at home isolating don't bring them on to school property when you collect the other kid". I thought why would the other kid be at the school if their sibling has potential covid?
    Took them both back today and the nursery teacher started shouting at my wife, saying she should have been in, and that she needs to call her to talk about this immediately. My wife explained and said you can on Monday, but the nursery teacher said no it needs to be today. Goes back in the classroom and my wife hears her shout through the door "IF SHE'S GOT A TEMPERATURE I'M SENDING HER STRAIGHT BACK HOME!"

Mixed message after mixed message and actually shouting at parents and then shouting in front of kids. What the fuck?
    Why does a nursery teacher think she can shout at a parent? She's a fucking glorified babysitter. Tell her to go and suck off a donkey.
    My band: TACOMA NARROWS BRIDGE DISASTER
    Trading feedback: https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/147077/
    I like Japanties. Not the forum Road Warrior.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 9
    That's basically what I said to my wife. I'm absolutely fuming. She came back and I started talking to her as normal, then realised she was crying. Currently waiting for her phone to ring so I can answer it. There's only 2 weeks left then she starts school after the holidays so I'm just going to say "is it a legal requirement for a child to go to nursery? No? Then today was her last day, thanks bye".
    She's done exactly the same to me before, because my daughter had gone in without a water bottle. Except she hadn't at all, it was in her bag. She just asked my daughter "where's your bottle?" and my daughter said it was broken and she didn't have one.
    Her bottle had broken, but I'd bought her a new one and put it in her bag, and this moron doesn't even check in the bag before coming out and having a go at me.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 1628
    I'd definitely be taking this further - unacceptable to ever be spoken to like that, especially in front of your child. But as Drew says, it's a glorified babysitter we're talking about. Unreal.
    edited July 9
    My parents are telling me that I should just leave it, because all the teachers are stressed so then when she starts school there in September they might treat her differently out of annoyance of me complaining about them previously.
    I'm not sure what to say to that, as it's not something that should happen or I should be afraid of, but at the same time yes unfortunately I could see that happening.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 1628
    Its a valid concern but in my experience if a complaint is justified, then its more likely that they'll be extra careful not to cause any issues when she starts in primary school.  But your call of course and there are arguments both ways. Hugely annoying though so understand your frustration.