Do you anchor or not? Fingerstyle

What's Hot
Hello,

Out of interest, do you anchor your hand (pinky stays on body of guitar) while you are playing fingerstyle?

anyone reason for your choice?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Yes, and if only using thumb index and middle fingers my ring and pinky stay sort of anchored on the high e if i'm not playing it. No particular reason just a style i've adopted. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    No. My hand moves to and fro as I adjust the picking point, and hence the attack and tone of the note. I also rotate my hand to use more or less flesh to brighten or deaden the note. They might be small differences, but I notice them.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26963
    Yes. But even after 20 years of playing I had to pick a guitar up to check.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    fingerstyle, no. I have disproportionally short pinkies, so if I anchor it creates tension in my picking hand.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    edited June 2021
    I have always been a no but I’ve been testing it recently and using a thumb pick. 

Very odd doing both but I can see the benefit. The thumb pick definitely helps bring the bass notes out and separate the other strings.

The anchor has helped me not put as much pressure on my arm around the body of guitar as  anchoring pushes my arm out a bit. 

I’m 5ft 9” and I play a Maton 808 but always found the depth of the guitar body quite deep and my arm goes dead after lots of playing. Tensing up does not help but anchoring might? 

Any other similar experience?
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 661
    Nope.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    edited June 2021
    It depends.

If it's a repetitive picking pattern that requires precision then usually yes. If it's a loose bluesy piece then usually not.

It's never a conscious choice either way. It's just what happens. I'm not aware of it when playing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3127
    Not my pinkie but yes my palm on the bridge
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    No - never have. I've tried out of interest but just find it uncomfortable and restrictive. 
  • mikewmikew Frets: 16
    Generally no. But occasionally I find myself doing it unconsciously. Interesting how Tommy Emmanuel recommends it, yet other instructors the opposite. Just do what works for you. It’s part of the ‘do you play with fingers alone, thumbpick, nails and flesh’ etc. Works for some and not others. No right or wrong but in certain circumstances one may feel or sound better. But that’s again in the ears of the beholder (?!). 
  • m0rtm0rt Frets: 21
    No. Always free. I think I made a conscious choice years ago when a teacher recommended not to anchor when learning the Mandolin and I carried it across. Also if doing tremolo picking, I find it more relaxing to be free and rotate the hand a little than to anchor and do it. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72305
    No, never. Not on acoustic, electric or bass - I tried once (emulating Mark Knopfler, he was a big early influence) and can't understand how anyone can play properly like that at all... it put my hand and fingers in the wrong position and completely restricted the movements I use.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GandalphGandalph Frets: 1576
    As above, I’ve tried it but find the movement too restrictive. 
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Yep, pinkie anchored on body or pickguard. Always have, always will.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5423
    mikew said:
    Interesting how Tommy Emmanuel recommends it, yet other instructors the opposite. Just do what works for you. 

There are hundreds of famous players who anchor. Brilliant musicians. And there are hundreds, equally brilliant, who don't.  Do what works. There are only two really dumb mistakes you can make - one is to claim that anchoring is bad, the other is to claim that not anchoring is bad.

(Like many here, I do both, switching between methods as the song demands, and usually without needing to be aware of it.) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4774
    Not usually, but if it makes sense to me for a specific phrase or piece, sure. Technique is meant to help performance, not hinder it, right? I started as a classical player, so a floating right hand is my default but not my straight jacket. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    Not usually, but if it makes sense to me for a specific phrase or piece, sure. Technique is meant to help performance, not hinder it, right? I started as a classical player, so a floating right hand is my default but not my straight jacket. 
    yep, depends on the piece and the instrument
    (and to be frank, the sitting position - sometimes you can't get an ideal place to sit)
  • JMS96JMS96 Frets: 137
    Yes, always. It moves around a little - sometimes on bottom string, more often on pickguard, bridge, etc. Even when strumming, the pinky is gently stroking the guitar somewhere.
  • I didn't even find out anchoring was a thing until I'd been playing for about 40 years! Since there's such debate, I'd guess it has more to do with how you're taught (if you're taught) or how you feel more comfortable than improving your playing. And since there seem to be an equal number of great guitarists who do and don't anchor, I doubt very much whether changing to anchoring will actually make anyone a better player. My own many flaws are the result of poor technique, not pinky placement, and I've got enough to do working on those, let alone trying to master a different style as well. All that said, I can see that anchoring might be worth considering (for me) for repetitive speed-building exercises, so I might give it a shot for those.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5423
    I think that there is a case for switching styles if you always use one or the other. It may be that the other style suits you better. Worth checking out, especially if you have a specific issue you think it may help you with.