Truss rod distance from bottom of neck

SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
edited July 2021 in Making & Modding
Guys, I have a 19mm maple neck blank that will form part of a 1" thick two-piece neck. My double action truss rod has a depth of 9mm or so. The plan is to route a 10mm slot, leaving 1mm on top for a fillet. Will the remaining 8mm below the truss rod be thick enough to withstand the force of a double action rod?  Of course I have to consider carving as well so it’ll probably be a bit less than that. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    More than enough.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    Why the fillet? Normally you'd cut a 9mm deep channel and cap it with the fretboard.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    I've had a similar concern on my latest build using a maple/purpleheart laminated blank from some offcuts I had. The initial blank was fine, and the truss rod a little deeper than yours. I think I ended up routing the channel about 11mm deep.
    All well and good, with the bubinga fretboard cap and a small fillet to cover the slightly-too-deep channel.
    However, now that the neck is carved, I reckon there will be no more than 2.5-3.0mm maple between the bottom of the channel and the truss rod. Possibly closer to 2mm in fact.
    So far it hasn't moved with the current weather (and the laminates will help), but it isnt strung up yet......

Im sure yours will be fine.

Adam
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
    edited July 2021 tFB Trader
    Why the fillet? Normally you'd cut a 9mm deep channel and cap it with the fretboard.
    Absolutely agree with Steve no need for a fillet, that millimetre of wood will be far better off left on the neck blank.

Alternatively, you could go 8mm down into the neck blank and 1mm into the fretboard.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited July 2021
    Thanks for the reassurance, just wanted to make sure. And I decided to scrap the fillet. 

On another note, has anyone ordered from stew mac recently? I wanted to order some files from them, but due to covid related issues my last order from them 8 months ago took 2 months to arrive. I’m hoping maybe their couriers aren’t as affected now as they were back then at the height of the pandemic.

im looking at the hosco files 3 piece set as an alternative. 
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
    tFB Trader
    I think you must’ve clicked the wrong box on the postage, last time I ordered it was here in three days.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited July 2021
    Was that via usps priority? I don’t remember what option I selected - it may have been the second one before priority, which is over 40 quid..
  • TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1731
    tFB Trader
    Yeah i use the StewMac MAX thing and do priority, it comes quicker than a lot of UK suppliers..
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader

im looking at the hosco files 3 piece set as an alternative. 
    I like the Hosco set 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!