Whats you preferred body size and why?

What's Hot

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5268
    I think that having a selection of acoustics is nice :) any excuse to buy more guitars. 

My stage guitar is my Maton 
    Absolutely! 

Which Maton is that, Dean?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    Tannin said:
    I think that having a selection of acoustics is nice :) any excuse to buy more guitars. 

My stage guitar is my Maton 
    Absolutely! 

Which Maton is that, Dean?

It’s a Maton EBG808 Artist. Great pick up!
    Ahh! The very one I have my eye on. :) I have a custom SRS60 with a cedar top and a Messiah 808. A few months ago I tried an Artist out side-by-side with my Messiah and it was not one bit outclassed. A different sound for sure, but just as good in its different way. I want one but I'm trying to decide between the Artist and two other spruce and Blackwood 808s, the Vera May, and the Diamond Edition 75th Anniversary model (which is actually a "Traditional" body - similar to an 808 but slightly larger). 

I went into Hobart (my capital city) on Thursday to make enquiries about them. The tricky bit is that I haven't been able to play any example other than the Artist (in a different shop at the other end of the state) and I'd like to have a better idea before I order one. I'll probably have to go to Melbourne for that - it's a four hour drive and a $500 overnight ferry ride, but 25 times the size of Hobart (lots more shops), and also Maton's home town. You used to be able to make an appointment to go into Maton 's factory showroom and try stuff out, which you could then purchase through your Maton dealer, but in these Covid times I imagine that factory visits are off the radar.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    I'm expecting to keep my HD-28 for the rest of my life. I'll get to used to almost any weird ergonomics for the right sound. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 197
    edited July 2021
    My answer is to have both.I find it’s nice to switch between my D28 and my 12 fret 000 mahogany.
    The difference between the two makes it interesting.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1667
    I have a dread and an 000. 

000 is comfier and the string spacing seems to work well for folky picking.

Dread is the clear winner for strumming and sheer oomf. It's not so comfy for me while seated, but standing up I don't notice the difference so much.

Aesthetically, I prefer the 000, though, as I like a guitar to have more of a 'waist'
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    ICBM said:
    Wow... not one single other person so far?

Dreadnought, for me. They just sound better.

If it matters I'm 5'6", skinny and with small hands too...
    Blimey... I was always impressed with ICBM's knowledge of amps. Now I find out he is my perfect woman as well...
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1796
    As companies tend to not all have standard sizes,or call them other names,I would say anything other than Jumbo and Dreadnought are fine by me. Parlour guitars are fun but I haven't heard one personally that isn't similar to a ukulele more than a full body. 
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1568
    edited July 2021
    ICBM said:

They worked for Etta Bake. I'm pretty sure she favoured Dreadnoughts and she was tiny. 

I'm a similar 
    build to you by the sounds of it, I wish I could get on with them but I just find them too big and cumbersome. 
  • Dreadnoughts for me too. I've tried 000 and OM style guitars and while they sit in my lap more comfortably they just don't sound right or "feel" right to me.

There's nothing like playing a Dreadnought and feeling the back of it vibrate right through you. I've got a gorgeous Martin D-18 that's my main squeeze but I've owned  a few J-45's before and would love to have one again some day, even if it's just to look at the thing.

• jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 804
    I sing and use my acoustic primarily as an accompanying instrument, I find that dreadnoughts and jumbos have a big bottom end and plenty of upper end zing - with a little dip in the midrange where the my (male) voice sits perfectly.

The smaller bodied guitars (00, OM etc) have a more prominent mid-range, which clashes with my own voice - but are better for playing acoustic solos, and guitar licks in between the vocal lines.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 727
    I'm with ICBM too. Much prefer the sound of dreadnoughts generally when I'm playing alone. So when I'm playing 'properly' I'll use one. But when I'm doodling on a bench outside or on a sofa, or when writing, I'll play an OM. I'm 6 foot but I still find it an OM  more comfortable. Also some things sound better when recorded on an OM, but not always. By the time I get around to recording something I will have tried it on an archtop or a resonator too to see which suits.

Big big fan of Yamaha FG's, which are dreadnoughts of course. First acoustic I ever had and although it's long gone (sadly) I still love 'em. Presently have FG5 and FG830. Lovely. Guess I've never moved on!!
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    Preferred... hmm..

I love to play my Martin D18 and Lowden F32, they're similar in size (not shape) with the Lowden being slightly deeper. They both obviously sound superb too!

My most used guitar though is a Martin 00, it's got a different vibe tonally, but, it's just so easy to pick up and noodle on and has been my pub session guitar for the longest time. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    Dreadnought for me, because you can play anything on a properly built (i.e. not overbuilt) one. 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    Dreadnought for me, ideally, although my main acoustic is a grand auditorium. If they'd actually had the dread in the same model I'd almost certainly have walked out with that though.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 845
    VimFuego said:
    ICBM said:

the best guitar I've ever heard (but not played) was a 12 fret, round shouldered dread. It had everything. If I ever win the lottery I reckon I'd be hunting down something like that.
    I just picked up a limited 44 in the world J45 12 fret. I’m quite taken by it, all the tone of a dread and more with the neck tucked in slightly meaning long playing stints are very comfortable.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    Thanks everyone! Think I need to try some different sizes out. To be honest,I got my Mayon without trying many guitars or shape. I tried The Maton and was blown away by the plugged in sound and it ticked all the boxes. It is a fantastic guitar which i will never sale and always play. I'll defiantly want to have more variation in tones with different shapes. They all do something different. I guess It's a bit like electric guitars (Strat,Tele,335,Les paul) its nice to have one of each :)

• McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 657
    I always thought l wanted a Martin D18.....eventually managed to get one.
    Struggled with it for about a month,  all the time thinking 'This is a great guitar, a Martin D18, why is it not doing it for me?' '......Eventually gave up and sold it a month later and bought an Eastman 12 fret Parlour..... Best decision l ever made, effortless to play and the absolute business for sitting on the couch and noodling away. Got a 000 Waterloo now too....which is the absolute max l would go... Dreadnoughts sound great, but just not for me..... 
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    How do the Yamaha range fit into the more common size descriptions?  For example, is an LL equivalent to a dreadnought?
    Yes, Vinylfan.

LL = dreadnought
    LJ = small jumbo (Yamaha call it a "medium jumbo" but it seems a bit small for that to me. Haven't measured one though.)
    LS = auditorium or concert size