One amp to rule them all - for blues / rock home use and jamming only

What's Hot

Comments

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    dazzajl said:
    One considerable bonus of a Jazy Lay is that if you buy used they hold their price as well anything on the market. There are so many amps based on or around the Tweed Deluxe, that it might be worth at least a quick trip down the rabbit hole before making a final decision. 
    I’d put the Gartone Bluesman in that category too. They are harder to find though, but there’s a few people who prefer them to the Lazy J. I love mine, but I’ve never compared it to one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • russpm said:
    Views?
    They sound glorious and hold their value. You can just plug in without pedals and lose hours.
    They also take pedals well and the onboard VAC is great for home playing.
    it’s a class amp without doubt and may save you from chopping and changing. If you are in the North West you are welcome to come and try mine.
    Thanks.  I have sent you a PM. 
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    russpm said:
    Views?
    They sound glorious and hold their value. You can just plug in without pedals and lose hours.
    it’s a class amp without doubt and may save you from chopping and changing. If you are in the North West you are welcome to come and try mine.
    Depending where you are in the NW, I would love to put my Gartone side by side with a Lazy J for comparison. 
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    Lazy J80… yes, the amp based on the high power tweed twin (80W, 2x12)
    You never see used ones for sale though

• russpmrusspm Frets: 436
    Ossyrocks said:
    russpm said:
    Views?
    Depending where you are in the NW, I would love to put my Gartone side by side with a Lazy J for comparison. 
    I’m in Chorley mate
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Ossyrocks said:
    russpm said:
    Views?
    I'd be really interested to hear that comparison too. Of course you get valve reverb and trem on the J too 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Since you're only playing at home, I'd suggest Lazy J 10. They're loud beasts with the alnico blue. In a different league to Cornell Romany IMO.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    edited July 2021
    The Victoria Regal 2 is amazing. Takes pretty much any valves you can throw at it, going from under 5 watts to near 40. Lovely Trem and reverb.
  • PowerslavePowerslave Frets: 98
    As mentioned above, a little more information is probably required.

But, that aside, I'd suggest ...

Rift PR18 with a good dirt and boost pedal in front - that gives you home and barn.

All in one box solution - 65 Amps Ventura ... but, good luck finding one, at least for the moment until Dan gets the show back on the road (avoid the over-priced instance on e-bay with a US power config).

Almost all in one box solution - Orange Rocker 30 and an EQ pedal.
  • It’s looking like a Lazy J or Marshall SV20h and cab.  
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 328
    I recently bought a Laney supercub head (15/1W) with 2x12 cab to downsize for home use. It's awesome...fantastic natural break up with a boost for higher gain widdling.. You can get it as a 1x12 combo but I preferred the depth of the 212 cab which seemed more 'open'. Plently loud enough for rehearsals/jams and also gigging unless you want crystall clean and loud...

Other half doesnt' see how this is downsizing...from a 100W 112 combo....
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited July 2021
    Laneys are always worth a look. The Cubs and Supercubs sound great. 
    This. Laney are hugely underrated! The Cub is competitively priced, great features, and sounds really good...I'd dare to suggest it could give similar size boutique amps costing 4 or 5 times the price a good run for their money. 12" speaker, full EQ, all valve, excellent digital reverb, fx loop, 8/16 Ohm extn cab out, built in tilt stand, and 1w and 15w input. Super Cub has a distortion boost that can be foot controlled.  

You can get a free 5 yr warrantly if you register on line, and customer service from Laney is superb.

Even years out of warranty they offer a fixed price amp repair service.  Some months back I had an intermittent fault on my 9yr old Laney Cub 12R  Can't remember exact figure but it was around £60 Inc pick up and redelivery, regardless of time to fix. Got it back in under a week and good as new! 

Sounds great at home, wonderful cleans, very Marshall like gain (it's based on a Marshall circuit), and plenty loud for small club gigging and rehearsals. Ive even put mine through a 4x12 Marshall Cab in rehearsal rooms and it just blew my mind how huge this 15w amp sounded!  

Really can't recommend Laney, and the Cub 12R in particular, enough. If it doesnt put a big smile on your face when you play it, then you probably need to think about taking up drums or something! Lol 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
  • Bluguitar Amp 1 Mercury sounds great at any volume.
  • HottubesHottubes Frets: 394
    Princeton reveb for me is the perfect home amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
    Hamstead Artist 20+RT. 
    Delicious and tasty. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    merlin said:
    Hamstead Artist 20+RT. 
    Delicious and tasty. 
    I actually clicked into this thread to say the same! 

Such a good amp. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23925
    It’s looking like a Lazy J or Marshall SV20h and cab.  
    That Marshall is mentally loud even in the 5W setting.

You'll never get it cooking at home without a good attenuator. Not unless you want to go deaf.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    edited July 2021
    The amp I am thinking of is the Lazy J10 or J20.  

I was considering a Marshall sv20h with 212 cab but think the Lazy J would be better.  

Thanks for the input.  
    Lazy Js are not home amps though . They are deceptively loud amps but you said you’ll be playing in a barn so that’ll be ok. Animals will be deaf though over a period of time though lol 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    Mesa MKV 25  and 1x12   - cover practically anything - quiet to pub gig - 18lb head weight