Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Weird things you never knew

What's Hot
HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
Last night, the current Mrs H said to me that a flame doesn't create a shadow. 

B*llocks I suggested back to her.

True enough, after a brief experiment with a candle and a torch, I got to eat some delicious humble pie as she was correct.

Anyone else discovered anything weird that they hadn't known previously?
"Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rogdrogd Frets: 1513
    Try folding a piece of paper 8 times.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • danodano Frets: 1592
    edited July 2021
    Intersting.

We've  been discussing shadows at home recently with my daughter who is into science and maths 

Shadows don't exist. 

Think about it, a shadow is just where the light can't get to. Light doesnt actually  create a shadow. Not having light on the wall behind the object creates a shadow.

You can see it, but it has no physical properties (and no electromagnetic properties like the light).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12335
    That we are so far from the sun that we can’t feel it’s warmth. 

The radiation speeds up the molecules in our atmosphere and the friction from the moving molecules gives us our warmth. 
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I still don't know the things I never knew.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2021
    I learnt only recently that the male duck billed platypus has got a venomous claw on one of its back legs and that being an egg laying mammal that bears milk, it can make its own custard.
    I think the custard making is limited to the female platypus.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5734
    In a photograph a shadow will normally have more substance than the object casting it but the platypus being the only animal that can make it’s own custard one has to be the best fact of them
    all. 
    dazzajl said:
    In a photograph a shadow will normally have more substance than the object casting it but the platypus being the only animal that can make it’s own custard one has to be the best fact of them
    all. 
    I think humans can make custard too by buying a packet of Birds.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9661
    edited July 2021
    That ‘ye’ (as in Ye Olde Shoppe) was pronounced ‘the’.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10401
    Did you know we can't measure the speed of light, only the round trip of it. So we have no idea if the reflected returns at the same speed the light left the source, we just assume it does. 

If you get 2 pieces of metal that have been made with completely flat surfaces they will stick together like magnets, even though aren't magnetic at all. Precise metal blocks used to calibrate micrometers will do this for example. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    edited July 2021
    Danny1969 said:

If you get 2 pieces of metal that have been made with completely flat surfaces they will stick together like magnets, even though aren't magnetic at all. Precise metal blocks used to calibrate micrometers will do this for example. 

We do this all the time in my toolroom wringing different size gauge blocks together  , it’s called “Sticktion” ( might be a brummie thing!)
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    HAL9000 said:
    And was actually a letter in our Alphabet until it was dropped........it looked like a Y and an E joined together ,rather like the Greek ae .It was called a Toth or a Thorn depending on what part of the country you came from.
    It became reserved for religious use in the plural form.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6148
    That the wonkily attached tag on the end of a tape measure - the stupid wobbly bit that seems to add vagueness to every measurement - is actually there by design to make measurements more accurate. Who knew!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72295
    Danny1969 said:
    Did you know we can't measure the speed of light, only the round trip of it. So we have no idea if the reflected returns at the same speed the light left the source, we just assume it does.
    Not true - the very first measurement of the speed of light was one-way only. It was done using the difference in the predicted positions of the moons of Jupiter compared to the observed positions when the planet is on the same or opposite sides of the Sun from the Earth. The time it takes for the light to reach Jupiter from the Sun is irrelevant, it's only time it takes to reach Earth from Jupiter that matters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rømer's_determination_of_the_speed_of_light

OK, the result he got wasn't very accurate by modern standards, but the principle is correct and it's possible to do better with modern observations.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    HAL9000 said:
    There was the letter Thorn in old English which was the th sound. It still exists in the Icelandic alphabet. As we started printing things in English we had mostly German printing sets that omitted the letter Thorn and Y was used to represent it. Hand writing it as a Y on something like a shop sign is a bit arse backwards as they could have used a Thorn but the original letter shape had fallen out of use. 
    It takes about 1,000 years for a language to become unrecognisable. So the version of English in use when the Thorn was originally used would be unrecognisable to us today; Shakespeare for example is still modern English and that seems odd enough. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18717
    Most humans peel bananas the 'wrong' way round, opening the stalk end, instead of using it as a built in handle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10689
    Most humans peel bananas the 'wrong' way round, opening the stalk end, instead of using it as a built in handle…

… and holding it like a champagne flute. Cheers!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18717
    edited July 2021
    Quoting on here adds parentheses to the original statement. Who knew? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Vivian Stanshall was wrong to have the Rawlinson End character, Reg Smeaton, assert that there is no proper name for the back of the knee. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6788
    goldtop said:
    That the wonkily attached tag on the end of a tape measure - the stupid wobbly bit that seems to add vagueness to every measurement - is actually there by design to make measurements more accurate. Who knew!
    Yep - it compensates for the thickness of the L shaped tag to account for the different use case when hanging it off the end of the wood or pushing it into the corner of the room.  
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    A pipefitter taught me to measure tube from the ten and, then, subtract that from the apparent measurement. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom