Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Weird things you never knew

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    sev112 said:
    HAL9000 said:
    That ‘ye’ (as in Ye Olde Shoppe) was pronounced ‘the’.
    There was the letter Thorn in old English which was the th sound. It still exists in the Icelandic alphabet. As we started printing things in English we had mostly German printing sets that omitted the letter Thorn and Y was used to represent it. Hand writing it as a Y on something like a shop sign is a bit arse backwards as they could have used a Thorn but the original letter shape had fallen out of use. 
    It takes about 1,000 years for a language to become unrecognisable. So the version of English in use when the Thorn was originally used would be unrecognisable to us today; Shakespeare for example is still modern English and that seems odd enough. 
    Even the accents from 50 years ago are very difficult to understand. You can google audio clips of e.g cockneys (other cities are available) with transcripts and it is amazing how wordage has changed in such a short period during the post industrial revolution.  
    I had a really crude (sound as well as language) as a teenager,  and I just could not recognise many /most of the words that my grandfather would have said

One of my grandmother's friends was a man who wrote poetry and books in Black Country dialect and I think I understood it all at the time - listening into the conversations of elderly relatives some of whom would have been born in the 19th century. If I read those poems now it seems like a made up language, be very hard pressed to find anyone who speaks like that any more; certainly no one who isn't a pensioner. 
    I guess how people spoke in the 1960s was closer to how they spoke in the 1860s than our dialects are to those now. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    EricTheWeary said:

One of my grandmother's friends was a man who wrote poetry and books in Black Country dialect and I think I understood it all at the time - listening into the conversations of elderly relatives some of whom would have been born in the 19th century. If I read those poems now it seems like a made up language, be very hard pressed to find anyone who speaks like that any more; certainly no one who isn't a pensioner. 
    I guess how people spoke in the 1960s was closer to how they spoke in the 1860s than our dialects are to those now. 
    I think a large part of this is the Americanisation of our culture via film and TV.

[Old man shouts at clouds]

The other night the newsreader on the BBC had adopted the American style of leaving out "on" when describing something that happened on a specific day. (eg "President Biden met with Prime Minister Johnson Tuesday".) It sounded ridiculously contrived and I'm sure he was doing it deliberately rather than naturally... massively annoying. And on the fucking BBC! Which is supposed to be delivered in proper English.

[/Old man shouts at clouds]

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    ICBM said:ICBM said:
    EricTheWeary said:

I think a large part of this is the Americanisation of our culture via film and TV.

The other night the newsreader on the BBC had adopted the American style of leaving out "on" when describing something that happened on a specific day. (eg "President Biden met with Prime Minister Johnson Tuesday".) It sounded ridiculously contrived and I'm sure he was doing it deliberately rather than naturally... massively annoying. And on the fucking BBC! Which is supposed to be delivered in proper English.

EricTheWeary said:

It is, although there is a tendency to describe things as an Americanism when they are not and American English is quite old fashioned in many ways. But English is a bastard language really and the process of it morphing into something else is pretty inevitable. 
    If you listen to almost anyone from around the world speaking English it is effectively American English, we are the minority speakers now. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    ICBM said:
    EricTheWeary said:

I’m with you on that, really grates. Not quite as bad though as people saying “can I get “ when they mean “may I have “ or at least say “can I have”.  Grrrr.  
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2248
    The made-up word GHOTI is pronounced "fish"

GH as in rough
    O as in women
    TI as in notion
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited July 2021
    sev112 said:

mrkb said:
    I think about this reasonably regularly:

Due to the presence of pregnant women, the average number of skeletons per human body is more than 1
    And the average number of arms (and legs) is less than two, but the average number of heads is greater than one!
    I think it comes across better we’re you to say that the average person has less than one leg.  It prompts a much better argument
    Except of course that that’s not true
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    ICBM said:
    EricTheWeary said:

I’m with you on that, really grates. Not quite as bad though as people saying “can I get “ when they mean “may I have “ or at least say “can I have”.  Grrrr.  
    Just to muddy the water, up here in Scotland it's common to say "can I get" instead of "can I have" and has been for as long as I can remember.  I don't think it's an American adoption. 

But I too used to get really upset at these so called "Americanisms" and I still can't do with folk calling a car bonnet a "hood" which some young people do.  I'm more laid back these days as I agree the language we speak is a product of centuries of evolution and influence.

What I still can't stand though is "lazy" language, either written or spoken.  Like when Radio 4's Evan Davies (who should know better) says "Let's get the weather" when he means let's listen to the weather forecast.  It also annoys me that the use of the word "of" in place of "have", as in "I could of played that better..." is becoming far too common.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
    I heard a "fact" on the radio this morning that Erinsborough was created as the fictional suburb of Melbourne because it was an anagram of Neighbours.

It clearly isn't though.

Cool story huh
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4161
    dano said:
    Hattigol said:
    Last night, the current Mrs H said to me that a flame doesn't create a shadow. 

B*llocks I suggested back to her.

True enough, after a brief experiment with a candle and a torch, I got to eat some delicious humble pie as she was correct.

Anyone else discovered anything weird that they hadn't known previously?
    Having thought about it, the answer is quite easy.

The flame is effectively  electromagnetic radiation, the light you can see and the heat you can feel. That has no physical properties, hence when illuminated with  torch there is nothing physical to absorb the light from the torch and hence cast a shadow on the wall.

I was thinking about it even more simply than that: a flame emits light, therefore how can it cast a shadow?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    Neill said:
    ICBM said:
    EricTheWeary said:

Just to muddy the water, up here in Scotland it's common to say "can I get" instead of "can I have" and has been for as long as I can remember.  I don't think it's an American adoption. 

But I too used to get really upset at these so called "Americanisms" and I still can't do with folk calling a car bonnet a "hood" which some young people do.  I'm more laid back these days as I agree the language we speak is a product of centuries of evolution and influence.

What I still can't stand though is "lazy" language, either written or spoken.  Like when Radio 4's Evan Davies (who should know better) says "Let's get the weather" when he means let's listen to the weather forecast.  It also annoys me that the use of the word "of" in place of "have", as in "I could of played that better..." is becoming far too common.   
    Presumably ‘get’ meaning acquire rather than fetch. Ok, it still grates but at least it makes sense.

I agree with you about ‘of’ instead of ‘have’. I’ve even heard people claim it’s part of the evolution of a language. No it isn’t - it’s just wrong.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    Language evolves. Not so many years ago, the word stadiums was wrong. Now it's not, sadly.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6098
    That nobody in the history of mankind has ever been named Furtlefartwad.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    HAL9000 said:
    Neill said:
    ICBM said:
    EricTheWeary said:

Presumably ‘get’ meaning acquire rather than fetch. Ok, it still grates but at least it makes sense.

I agree with you about ‘of’ instead of ‘have’. I’ve even heard people claim it’s part of the evolution of a language. No it isn’t - it’s just wrong.

Could've? 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    It is evolution of language, because much language is learned by sound / hearing.  Then when you add some accents into that, or regional pronunciations, and put some listening errors in there, it forms part of that evolution.  It isn’t the only source / cause or evolution but it is part.

Because then people start spelling phonetically as they hear it. So they have heard someone saying could’ve and perfectly reasonably translated that phonetically as could of, albeit without doing the analysis as to what the words might actually be

similar to leaning French.  You just hear people say aujourd’hui, or qu’est-ce-que c’est ( or whoever they are typed) and just repeat them

if you took people from Cornwall, South and Nkrth Wales, Kent coast, cockneys, Brummies, Liverpool, Newcastle, central Scotland and highlands, Belfast and cork etc. And get them to read out a series of different words in their accents, and then ask primary age school kids to write down what they heard, there will be massive variation

male language fun methjnks
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I like modern words and language. It's fun. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9697
    What I find weird in English, is how the following sentence makes sense without even thinking about it and it sounds perfectly normal:

"Can't you see the dog?"

But when you think of what the apostrophe means, the sentence is actually thus:

"Can not you see the dog?"

Which obviously sounds ridiculous. 

I wonder how this is explained to non-naive speakers? Or is it just something they are told "it just is that"
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    You know that brown line that runs down men’s nutsack? That’s what turns into fanny lips if you were to be born female. As an early stage developing foetus we basically all share the same anatomy until we reach a certain point of growth. 

You can thank Naked Attraction for that particular nugget of information.  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3679
    equalsql said:
    That nobody in the history of mankind has ever been named Furtlefartwad.
    I’m called Furtlefartwad…

….and so’s my wife :lol: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    What I find weird in English, is how the following sentence makes sense without even thinking about it and it sounds perfectly normal:

"Can't you see the dog?"

But when you think of what the apostrophe means, the sentence is actually thus:

"Can not you see the dog?"

Which obviously sounds ridiculous. 

I wonder how this is explained to non-naive speakers? Or is it just something they are told "it just is that"

Most languages have their "these are the rules, but..." moments. I like to think that we have them as a reward for not having grammatical genders or, as in the case of German, 437 words for "one" or "the" which vary according to grammatical case, gender and inside leg measurement of the person standing behind you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom