Price Increases and more to come

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14210
in Guitar tFB Trader
Price increases have been a constant discussion point in many recent blogs - From what I can deduce then expect many more changes to the price - Fender today have announced a further price increase, across the board, due in part, to the hidden costs of transport amongst other costs of materials

I read many comments about price increases on FB, with many pointing out that these increases are well above the governments inflation figure - This is  a hugely distorted source of info anyway - Coupled with 'complaints' aimed at the manufactures for putting up their prices 

Timber - Timber prices are amongst the biggest reason we are seeing hefty price increases - Demand and supply are 2 big culprits - Many forest fires and wood destroying insects are now a serious issue - A plague of tiny mountain pine beetles, no bigger than a grain of rice, has already destroyed 15 years of log supplies in British Columbia, and are chewing through forests in Alberta and the Pacific Northwest - Recent import tax tariffs from Canada to the USA on timber of an additional 20% thanks to Mr Trump don't help either - So the likes of Fender are having to pay far more now for their raw maple blanks than previously - Then what many see as hidden costs, have risen - A report in the USA stated that shipping costs of hauling timber from the forest to timber yards has risen 24% - Then add shortages of staff due to the pandemic - Some reports are indicating that timber has risen in price by over 130% in recent years - I've lost the link now, but a colleague of mine was telling me last week how much a sheet of ply wood has gone up by over the last 12/24 months - Remember Fender have now ceased using Ash, certainly for now, due to supply issues, other than on CS models - This supply issue coupled with demand adds to the cost of raw materials

I'm sure many of our luthiers on FB can comment on such issues and what price increases they are seeing

Cost of shipping containers has sky rocketed - pre pandemic and it was around $2000 to rent such a container to ship - Now around $8-10,000 - All such costs will be added to the final price we see once the guitar arrives into stock

Then as per previous blogs from the likes of @sixstringsupplies and @OilCityPickups we are seeing supply delays and rising costs for hardware, materials, electrical parts - Nickel and cold rolled steel prices are all flying through the roof (Iron ore has more than doubled in price in the last 4/5 years - In less than 12 months, the cost of hot rolled steel has risen from just under $450 per ton to over $1180 per ton 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    As much as I would like to support the guitar industry (brands, retailers etc) I’ll probably stick to what I have and not look to get anything new for the foreseeable future.

ive been very excited about new guitars being released this year but the prices have shot up where it’s just completely unaffordable for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24242
    I was saving up for a new bass for a significant birthday, but the price of my target has increased by about £1000 in the last year already, and I expect it to be worse soon.

So I've given up on the idea completely.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Hooray for price increases. 

:s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Nothing will change until people stop paying these prices. It's supply and demand
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5410
    edited July 2021
    Lumber prices have shot up over the course of the pandemic because the supply chain underestimated demand - that is easing off now though, so guitar companies who had stockpiles they could eat into probably were able to survive that without too much difficulty.

https://www.nationalmortgagenews.com/news/lumber-prices-fall-from-2021-peak-end-june-at-five-month-low

That certainly has nothing to do with the bug and disease problem though on some of our favourite woods. Some anecdotal things I've noticed about ash -

- Fender said they were gonna stop using it outside the CS, but they are still using it a lot outside the CS (75th Anniversary models, for example, the MIM Ben Gibbard signature Mustang as another... the AO stuff as well, where appropriate, but I think they may have said that "where it's historically accurate they would try to use it" - wonder if a future AO refresh may put pause on that, we'll see!)
    - Kauer & K-Line are offering roasted pine as an ash substitute now - exactly what Fender has done on their American Pro II line. You can still get ash from them though, supply is just limited.
    - Knaggs charges an extra $3-400 for swamp ash depending on whether you want just the back or the whole body to be made from it now. When they started up a little over a decade ago I think it was a no-charge sub for alder.
    - G&L is substituting sugar pine on some finishes that formerly used swamp ash - not all of them, you can still get swamp ash in some colours from the USA stuff and of course in the Custom Shop but if that doesn't point to a constrained supply then I'm not sure what does.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    This will further push the high end guitars into the luxury market if they are not already there 5 years ago
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Sad to see the price increases, but it really is the time we live in.

Completely agree on the official inflation figures being bollocks, always has been. Actually had this discussion with my partner a few days ago with last grocery shop making it clear that what we pay there has jumped significantly and it's not the only spend to have gone up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2350
    Bit of positive news to start the week with.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Sad to see the price increases, but it really is the time we live in.

Completely agree on the official inflation figures being bollocks, always has been. Actually had this discussion with my partner a few days ago with last grocery shop making it clear that what we pay there has jumped significantly and it's not the only spend to have gone up.
    A huge correction is on the horizon,  particularly in the USA. You can't print trillions of dollars without devaluation of currency 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14210
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:

- Fender said they were gonna stop using it outside the CS, but they are still using it a lot outside the CS (75th Anniversary models, for example, the MIM Ben Gibbard signature Mustang as another... the AO stuff as well, where appropriate, but I think they may have said that "where it's historically accurate they would try to use it" - wonder if a future AO refresh may put pause on that, we'll see!)
    - Kauer & K-Line are offering roasted pine as an ash substitute now - exactly what Fender has done on their American Pro II line. You can still get ash from them though, supply is just limited.
    - Knaggs charges an extra $3-400 for swamp ash depending on whether you want just the back or the whole body to be made from it now. When they started up a little over a decade ago I think it was a no-charge sub for alder.
    - G&L is substituting sugar pine on some finishes that formerly used swamp ash - not all of them, you can still get swamp ash in some colours from the USA stuff and of course in the Custom Shop but if that doesn't point to a constrained supply then I'm not sure what does.

I think the other factor to take into account regarding ash is the 'grading' - Fender will find examples that are to heavy, contain a knot or mineral blemish and even less of a vibrant ring when tapped - So the CS team will get the pick of the better pieces and 'lesser desirable blanks' can be allocated elsewhere - ie no wastage

Plus I dare say they will still come across 'more affordable' planks from time to time, from the timber yards, that they can buy as/when, to be utilised on other models

I don't think it is a case of not available, but more a case of less available, due in part to the disease 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24242
    Musicman are partly blaming the price increases on a disease that affects ash in the USA.
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 667
    Whitecat said:

Many of Fender's cheaper Ash models (such as the Gibbard, Mary Kaye AO etc.) are now heavily chambered, and I would expect to see more of this approach going forward. 
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    I wonder how far it can be pushed before it becomes completely unsustainable? 
    I am lucky enough to have a collection that includes the usual suspects from the various custom shops and I am so thankful I picked them up when I did because right now, there’s no way I could afford the prices being asked by Gibson, Fender and PRS. 
    I have a big birthday coming up in two years (40) and I was looking at something else to mark the occasion but I am just priced out. I can’t even afford a regular CU24 as they are the thick end of £4K. 
    Jackobean said:
    Whitecat said:

Many of Fender's cheaper Ash models (such as the Gibbard, Mary Kaye AO etc.) are now heavily chambered, and I would expect to see more of this approach going forward. 
    The Gibbard is for sure, didn't know they were doing that on the ltd AOs but it does explain why so many of the ones I've seen were super light...
  • HottubesHottubes Frets: 394
    Hasn't the price of Gasoline and Timber gone through the roof in America recently !

Closing pipelines doesn't help, more expensive fuel means everything goes up in price.

It's easy to see why there's a lucrative second hand market, whilst prices keep going up.

Hottubes said:
    Hasn't the price of Gasoline and Timber gone through the roof in America recently !

Closing pipelines doesn't help, more expensive fuel means everything goes up in price.

It's easy to see why there's a lucrative second hand market, whilst prices keep going up.

As I mentioned above raw timber prices did go crazy but they are plummeting back down to earth again and are at a five-month low now with signs that they will keep going downwards. The problem was the supply chain underestimated demand during the pandemic, so they weren't processing as much as they should have been.
  • HottubesHottubes Frets: 394
    Sad to see the price increases, but it really is the time we live in.

A huge correction is on the horizon,  particularly in the USA. You can't print trillions of dollars without devaluation of currency 

Correct! Didn't they spend $300,000 to see if Japanese Quail are more sexually promiscuous on Cocaine. More like Hunters stash. :)
  • TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1730
    tFB Trader
    To give you some real world numbers from my cabinetmaking business, my brother and I use a lot of Birch plywood in our shop fitting work and the price has risen from £34+vat in January to £67+vat now, with our supplier expecting a 10% rise every few weeks.

The explanation given is the states ordered huge quantities of it earlier this year after expecting a shortage. Birch plywood is only made in mills in Europe and Russia, so they were quickly had stocks run down and sold at a higher price to the states. So we are now in a situation where the distributors will buy from the mills at any price, ie. they can command whatever price they like as demand is so high and supply is so low. 

They expect this to level off in the autumn, it’s currently making costing out big jobs much much harder as prices can rise so quickly.

With my guitar making, I’m hoping I can insulate my customers from the price rises as they don’t seem to be as extreme in solid wood as they are with plywood.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    I don't think there is a ceiling as there are people out there with money.  At some point, if we are not there already, people just buy guitars because they are expensive as opposed to they are better instruments.  The same crowd to buys Murphy Labs will not really think twice if the next one is £1k more than last year.

The crowd that are buying MIM Fender will continue to buy MIM Fender, they just have to buy used instead.  The ones who buy had the budget for a USA Fender might have to settle for a MIM one.

At the higher end though, nothing much will change.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9280
    I've mentioned before but the model of guitar shops is moving more towards finance as happened with cars.
    A £4k guitar is a very significant purchase for most. 
    £166 per month on 2 years interest free, much less so
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom