Price Increases and more to come

What's Hot

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
    When Brexit kicks in we'll be able to grow our own trees and become the envy of the world or something. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    25reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324
    When Brexit kicks in we'll be able to grow our own trees and become the envy of the world or something. 
    Pure gold hahahaha
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5400
    LPManic said:
    If you are thinking of buying something, and even if you think it's a bit beyond what you want to pay, buy it now. Prices will only keep going up.
    If we are still talking about guitars, this strikes me as exactly the wrong thing to do. The pandemic supply squeeze is already passing. Used instrument prices have stabilised and are starting to trend down. (Just last week I was offered discounts on two instruments that were "full price or go without" last time I looked at them.)  New prices will remain the same on paper, but the average discount off list price will slowly start to increase again as retailers (a) get all their backorders filled, and (b) look to move some of that static stock. 

The pace of the recovery is obviously different in different parts of the world. Places which recovered early from Covid (e.g., China) or which stayed largely Covid free (Taiwan, Australia, New Zealand) have long since resumed full production. Europe and the USA are a little further back on the curve, but with vaccination rates improving every week, it is perfectly reasonable to expect normal service to resume, and resume sooner rather than later. 

Will prices go back to what they were in 2018? Of course they won't. 

Will prices of most things improve from where they are today? Of course they will. You can back that in.

Of course, if you really, really want that instrument right now and don't mind paying overs for it, go right ahead. Life is short!

(But note well: the pandemic buying craze has alerted certain vendors to the fact that they can get away with charging way, way more than they used to. I'm talking examples like the Gibson Custom Shop - the insane price of the current Tom Petty "signature" SJ-200 is an example of just how crazy their accountants can get when we encourage them -  the Martin Authentic series, and several of the American boutique manufacturers. These particular vendors reckon that people will pay through the nose for products with a particular name on them, and now that they have tasted blood in the water, they will never go back to merely unreasonable pricing. This is *NOT* evidence of overall price rises, it's simply a reorganisation of the market. Normal mainstream guitars that normal mainstream people buy will return to roughly the status quo ante fairly quickly. For every established maker that prices itself out of the market, there are ten would-be could-bes more than ready to step in and fill the gap.)
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1341
    edited July 2021
    After every crisis it seems there is a boom during which the rich get richer and the rest get poorer. 
    That's Neoliberalism baby!.. cheer yourself up by reading some Noam Chomsky
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27426
    It's an interesting multi-faceted situation, or really really boring, depending on your interest in economics.

In general terms

For the last 50-odd years, all manufacturing has been in a race to the bottom - ie outsourcing and offshoring in search of the lowest cost base.  Combine that with improvements in manufacturing efficiencies and  I think (cba to look up the data) that we pay a lot less - in real terms - for many things today compared to 50 years ago.  Yay us.  We've never had it so good - and are unlikely to ever have it so good again.

That race to the bottom has - IMHO - more or less bottomed out.  We're not going to find cheaper than China, for the scale of production that the world expects.  Africa is the great untapped (unexploited) possibility, but that continent (warning: huge generalisation coming) doesn't the political stability or economic infrastructure to develop in the way that China did.

Yes, you'll get bits  & pieces coming out of Indonesia or Vietnam or Scotland, or some other still-developing nation,  but, by and large, China will be the world's cheapest factory option for the foreseeable.  

I'd expect China to start to widen its profit margins, together with internal inflationary pressures, which means that the price of stuff is no longer going to be reducing.    And what doesn't go down, generally goes up.

In guitar-specific terms

Demand is high due to more disposable income (not spent in pubs, on holidays, commuting), and more guitar-playing-time available (WFH) arising from the last 18 mths.  And as the bedroom flippers hoover up the s/h market, why not buy new when it's only  a small premium over s/h?

As well as the China-effect, the price of traditional guitar-making materials increases as regulation reduces supply, and the guitar-buyers refuse to accept substitutes for their traditional woods.  

And, as has been said above, we "buy" less and less these days.  Want it now and easy credit mean we look at the monthly payments rather than the purchase cost.  Which means manufactures can raise prices, and its hidden to a lot of the buyers.    Back when I were-a-lad, you only bought stuff on HP if (a) you couldn't afford it, and (b) you didn't realise that you'd pay twice as much for it.  Great business for the financial services industry (and debt collectors), but not so good for the buyer (renter).  Hey-ho.

Pandemic effect

12mths ago we were panicking (well, some people were) about the economy crashing, prices falling, jobs disappearing, and the next apocalypse.    The rebound now is fairly strong.  Comparing prices with 12mths ago (as the annual inflation rate does), is comparing against a fairly low point.  If prices weren't rising now, you'd be wondering why.

There's also the supply/demand effect as industries switch themselves back on from lockdown and start to produce again.   Until they're back to pre-pandemic levels, there will be shortages of stuff, and prices will rise.  In 6-12 mths time, that factor will largely disappear again through the natural cycle.  Which is why the BoE isn't raising interest rates quickly to suppress inflation.

TLDR version

Yup, stuff's getting more expensive.  We've been through the good times, now we're heading back to the old reality.  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1341
    TTony said:
    It's an interesting multi-faceted situation, or really really boring, depending on your interest in economics.

In general terms

For the last 50-odd years, all manufacturing has been in a race to the bottom - ie outsourcing and offshoring in search of the lowest cost base.  Combine that with improvements in manufacturing efficiencies and  I think (cba to look up the data) that we pay a lot less - in real terms - for many things today compared to 50 years ago.  Yay us.  We've never had it so good - and are unlikely to ever have it so good again.

That race to the bottom has - IMHO - more or less bottomed out.  We're not going to find cheaper than China, for the scale of production that the world expects.  Africa is the great untapped (unexploited) possibility, but that continent (warning: huge generalisation coming) doesn't the political stability or economic infrastructure to develop in the way that China did.

Yes, you'll get bits  & pieces coming out of Indonesia or Vietnam or Scotland, or some other still-developing nation,  but, by and large, China will be the world's cheapest factory option for the foreseeable.  

I'd expect China to start to widen its profit margins, together with internal inflationary pressures, which means that the price of stuff is no longer going to be reducing.    And what doesn't go down, generally goes up.

In guitar-specific terms

Demand is high due to more disposable income (not spent in pubs, on holidays, commuting), and more guitar-playing-time available (WFH) arising from the last 18 mths.  And as the bedroom flippers hoover up the s/h market, why not buy new when it's only  a small premium over s/h?

As well as the China-effect, the price of traditional guitar-making materials increases as regulation reduces supply, and the guitar-buyers refuse to accept substitutes for their traditional woods.  

And, as has been said above, we "buy" less and less these days.  Want it now and easy credit mean we look at the monthly payments rather than the purchase cost.  Which means manufactures can raise prices, and its hidden to a lot of the buyers.    Back when I were-a-lad, you only bought stuff on HP if (a) you couldn't afford it, and (b) you didn't realise that you'd pay twice as much for it.  Great business for the financial services industry (and debt collectors), but not so good for the buyer (renter).  Hey-ho.

Pandemic effect

12mths ago we were panicking (well, some people were) about the economy crashing, prices falling, jobs disappearing, and the next apocalypse.    The rebound now is fairly strong.  Comparing prices with 12mths ago (as the annual inflation rate does), is comparing against a fairly low point.  If prices weren't rising now, you'd be wondering why.

There's also the supply/demand effect as industries switch themselves back on from lockdown and start to produce again.   Until they're back to pre-pandemic levels, there will be shortages of stuff, and prices will rise.  In 6-12 mths time, that factor will largely disappear again through the natural cycle.  Which is why the BoE isn't raising interest rates quickly to suppress inflation.

TLDR version

Yup, stuff's getting more expensive.  We've been through the good times, now we're heading back to the old reality.  
    Gotta lol you for the Scotland gag.. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2365
    Rob1742 said:

I have just seen Fender masterbuilt has gone up from £6k to £7k. 

And then some.....
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11548
    Strat54 said:
    Rob1742 said:

And then some.....
    That's just insane.  I do struggle to accept there are people out there who'll spend that sort of money on a non-vintage guitar.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    Strat54 said:
    Rob1742 said:

And then some.....
    How are those knobs and pick up covers stay so white?!

Doing half a job and forget to age some parts.
  • Offset said:
    Strat54 said:
    Rob1742 said:

And then some.....
    That's just insane.  I do struggle to accept there are people out there who'll spend that sort of money on a non-vintage guitar.
    Think it is a case of what you want...I can maybe see the justification where someone knows exactly what they want in terms of spec, wants the allure of the guy who builds for "artist I love" doing it etc. and that's just the price tag against something you want more than the alternatives.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10246
    edited July 2021 tFB Trader
    I just went around four different suppliers before I got the non magnetic, stainless steel bobbin mounting screws I always use on Humbuckers. I ended up paying 50% more than I would normally.
    This morning I ordered in Nickel baseplates ... from one of the few suppliers that has them (non UK of course) ... they cost me over twice what I would normally pay. 
    If you add this to the fact that in a normal month before Brexit about 20% of my orders were from the EU ... now I'm lucky if I get one EU order a month.

Still, we have happy fish and can tour Lichtenstein to our heart's content so that all worked out well didn't it?

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 19reaction image Wisdom
  • I just went around four different suppliers before I got the non magnetic, stainless steel bobbin mounting screws I always use on Humbuckers. I ended up paying 50% more than I would normally.
    This morning I ordered in Nickel baseplates ... from one of the few suppliers that has them (non UK of course) ... they cost me over twice what I would normally pay. 
    If you add this to the fact that in a normal month before Brexit about 20% of my orders were from the EU ... now I'm lucky if I get one EU order a month.

Still, we have happy fish and can tour Lichtenstein to our heart's content so that all worked out well didn't it?

Don't forget the blue passports.

Mmmm....blue passports.....
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9270
    Offset said:
    Strat54 said:
    Rob1742 said:

And then some.....
    I’m amazed that people spend that kind of money on a vintage guitar to be honest.
    Why you’d want a guitar that isn’t reliable is beyond me.
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1418
    chris78 said:
    Offset said:
    Strat54 said:
    Rob1742 said:

And then some.....
    I’m amazed that people spend that kind of money on a vintage guitar to be honest.
    A lot of people use vintage guitars as investments. Those people may or may not be players of course, but I suspect most are. What makes you think a vintage guitar would be unreliable? Have you had issues with them in the past? I’m quite keen to know as I’m looking to buy into more vintage gear so I don’t want to end up with issues.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31496
    I think blaming a guitar's price hike from six grand to seven on the cost of the lumber involved in its construction doubling to a hundred quid is a bit of a red herring tbh. 

Of course there are pressures on wood supplies, but it's still a tiny percentage of the guitar's cost. 

The cost of Custom Shop fairy stories though? 

Priceless.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2275
    I thought I had too many guitars. It seems at current prices at least they have become a great investment, by accident I hasten to add. Relatively easy to turn into cash if needed, while being useful,  a delight to own as well as looking pretty (to my eyes anyway) in the home. 
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    edited July 2021
    hyperben said:
    chris78 said:
    Offset said:
    Strat54 said:
    Rob1742 said:

And then some.....
    A lot of people use vintage guitars as investments. Those people may or may not be players of course, but I suspect most are. What makes you think a vintage guitar would be unreliable? Have you had issues with them in the past? I’m quite keen to know as I’m looking to buy into more vintage gear so I don’t want to end up with issues.
    I’ve had a couple of dozen vintage guitars, Gibson and Guild, that have spanned from 1938 to 1968. Some I’ve bought with ‘issues’ - needing a refret or perhaps wiring problems - and the price has reflected that and it’s been quite enjoyable having them made into players again. Those that I bought without issues stayed that way. A few have had a refret as a judgement call, which made them nicer for me and didn’t affect the value at the £2000 end of the market that they were and are at.

No other difficulties- I haven’t dipped into the rarified end of the market, staying between £2000 and £12000 mainly, but good vintage instrument (for me) is good to have, good to play and won’t shed money like a new guitar generally will. Of course, a well-bought modern used guitar shouldn’t shed money either, but the value of a vintage guitar tends to rise, if investment is your thing. It’s not mine because, well, GAS, but other people seem to make money.

I’m not a believer in ‘if it’s old, it must be great’, because I’ve played a fair few vintage guitars with a view to buying and not been impressed - the same with some reasonably high-priced new stuff as well - and some have been bought, not bonded with and moved on, just as with modern stuff, but there have been a couple of special ones, where it’s difficult to imagine a modern equivalent, primarily because there isn’t one! My limited experience has also told me that the reissues that I’ve played have generally felt nothing like the originals, whether that’s a good thing or not.

I also like new and used modern guitars equally, so no bias here. Each to their own of course.
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10246
    tFB Trader
    I just went around four different suppliers before I got the non magnetic, stainless steel bobbin mounting screws I always use on Humbuckers. I ended up paying 50% more than I would normally.

Don't forget the blue passports.

Mmmm....blue passports.....
    You mean the ones that are being made for us ... in France?  

Yay - go us! 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2859
    edited July 2021
    What's the view of prices in the EU and USA - have they gone up the same as in the UK? Parity or variance. 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324
    There is one option. Don't buy...enjoy what you have. Not the fun option I realise!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom