SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS - Fender HRD - Needs repair - £150

What's Hot
MatthewShredderyMatthewShreddery Frets: 861
edited July 2021 in Amps £
Just putting this out there to gauge interest.
Has the common fault where it randomly switches channels.
Had a quick look inside - the usual heat related damage in the usual areas.

1x12 fender speaker.
I think it's an earlier model - Mk1 maybe 2..? (will check later)
Made in Mexico

It sounds fantastic, and generally works well - I use a patch cable partially inserted into the foot switch jack socket and that mostly removes the switching problem.

I'm confident this amp can be repaired at a reasonable cost - I just can't really be bothered with sorting that out and would rather just cut my losses.

Based in Portsmouth/Leicester. 
Probably not going to put this in the post.

https://i.imgur.com/L1YxoYi.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Xcee5e5.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/cU9ggxM.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ygjhUcF.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Bump 
  • Bump
  • Had zero interest in this which surprises me a bit.

• 4on64on6 Frets: 86
    Hi mate... if I hadn’t just said yes to another amp I would have been very interested...
    I wasn’t aware this was a common problem.. so perhaps a bit more detail on likely fix and prognosis... if you can get someone like ICBM to comment (maybe in the “Amps” section rather than for sale?.. that may assure people a bit??
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    It’s not a difficult thing to fix it’s basically re-soldering two large resistors on the PCB
    I would take it myself just to flip it but I’m simply too busy at the minute repair wise to take on anything else. 
    If it’s still about in a couple of weeks though I will definitely have it
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Cheers dudes - don't mean to sound like I'm whinging BTW!
  • Buuuuuump! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    It's a MkII, if that helps.

The problem is probably not the two large 'box' ceramic resistors, but the smaller cylindrical one almost directly below the footswitch socket. You will have to get at the back side of the PCB to fix it, but not too difficult if you know what you're doing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    It's a MkII, if that helps.

The problem is probably not the two large 'box' ceramic resistors, but the smaller cylindrical one almost directly below the footswitch socket. You will have to get at the back side of the PCB to fix it, but not too difficult if you know what you're doing.
    Thanks as ever.
    Is it likely that the resistor will need replacing, or just resoldering? 
  • mrn1989mrn1989 Frets: 240
    I'd take but too far for me, I'm based in Bucks
    Fretboard Feedback https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58705/  ALSO Over 500+ 100% feedback eBay transactions 
  • GillyGilly Frets: 1123
    Pm sent. I’m interested if it can be made to stay on the clean channel?
    edited July 2021
    Gilly said:
    Pm sent. I’m interested if it can be made to stay on the clean channel?
    It will need repair, running it as it is could cause real damage, potentially fire if its due to resistors overheating, which is commonly the cause
    Fretboard Feedback https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58705/  ALSO Over 500+ 100% feedback eBay transactions 
  • I may just fix this myself as I have some time off soon.
    Watch this space - if interested Pm me
    edited July 2021
    Is it likely that the resistor will need replacing, or just resoldering? 
    Just resoldering.

mrn1989 said:

It will need repair, running it as it is could cause real damage, potentially fire if its due to resistors overheating, which is commonly the cause
    Sorry, this is nonsense.

The resistors do overheat, but only just enough to cook the solder joints over a *very* long period, and slowly turn the board brown. There is no fire risk whatever.

(Unlike the Blues Junior, which does have a genuine risk of more serious burning due to a completely different cause - high-voltage arcing on the valve PCB - but is still highly unlikely to actually be a fire risk outside the amp.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited July 2021
    mrn1989 said:

Sorry, this is nonsense.

The resistors do overheat, but only just enough to cook the solder joints over a *very* long period, and slowly turn the board brown. There is no fire risk whatever.

(Unlike the Blues Junior, which does have a genuine risk of more serious burning due to a completely different cause - high-voltage arcing on the valve PCB - but is still highly unlikely to actually be a fire risk outside the amp.)
    Just going by what my tech told me when I asked if he'd dealt with this issue before and if he'd be up for the task. He also said sustained use left as is with burnt resistors and no repair could damage other components from excess current flow. It's a simple fix and he said it takes more time to pull the board out than it does to replace parts.

He sent me an image and said it will almost certainly look something like this

https://i.imgur.com/fzydATB.png
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Would this resistor problem be less likely if the amp had been set to run at 240v?
    mrn1989 said:

Just going by what my tech told me when I asked if he'd dealt with this issue before and if he'd be up for the task. He also said sustained use left as is with burnt resistors and no repair could damage other components from excess current flow. It's a simple fix and he said it takes more time to pull the board out than it does to replace parts. 

He sent me an image and said it will almost certainly look something like this
    That's typical of any HRD that's been used for long enough - but there is no fire risk, and no particular hazard to other parts since no extra current will flow.

The diodes CR13 and CR14 also run very hot, and if they desolder themselves that *can* blow other parts.

Philtre said:
    Would this resistor problem be less likely if the amp had been set to run at 240v?
    Yes. Those resistors are the most affected by the supply voltage since the output end of them - to the diodes - is a fixed voltage, which means that when the input voltage is raised, the voltage drop across them and hence the heating is increased.

For amusement, this is what the result of a Blues Junior arc can look like! I've never seen one actually set fire to the amp though.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That looks like my girlfriends toast, yikes! lol
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I'd have had a go but I'm In Scotland  :/

Good luck whatever you do  :)
  • Bump