Help dating a Gibson acoustic

What's Hot
DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
I was speaking to an old guy in at least his 70s yesterday, who showed me this Gibson J-50 Deluxe.
He told me he bought it used when he was still at school which suggests to me that it's probably a '56 going by the serial and his age.
However, doesn't the style of label inside indicate a 70s model, which wipes out his story? I'm no expert.

https://i.imgur.com/LJLjWrc.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/iGpHBap.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/oNhY4EJ.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    edited July 2021
    That’s definitely a Norlin era guitar 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CleckoClecko Frets: 295
    Just be yourself, have some fun, see what you have in common. Treat it no differently to a Taylor, Martin etc. If you've had a nice time, ask if they'd like to do it again some time and hopefully you'll go on to make beautiful music together. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • moremore Frets: 230
    I'm no expert on Gibsons. But I think most J 50's had have a rounded shoulder. It was made with a square shoulder in the late sixties. The older Gibsons had a nicer cellulose, cut out, pickguard. The early Gibsons had only 19 frets, not sure when the  20th was added. The inside looks really clean with a spot of glue that doesn't look old.?
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    Clecko said:
    Just be yourself, have some fun, see what you have in common. Treat it no differently to a Taylor, Martin etc. If you've had a nice time, ask if they'd like to do it again some time and hopefully you'll go on to make beautiful music together. 
    But when it all begins with them lying about their age, it's time to swipe left.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1742
    Definitely early 70s. Made in USA stamped on the back of the headstock did not come in until late 69 early 70. After 1973 Gibson used a 6 digit serial number on acoustics prefixed with a letter A. Also the rectangular orange labels were not used until 1970 replacing the oval ones.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1068
    Clecko said:
    This is great advice. I think you should just pluck up the courage to ask for a date. Just be direct and say you want no strings attached. Just make sure you don't ask how much they weigh!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9501
    Clecko said:
    The way some people refer to guitars as “she” (especially when trying to sell them), I can’t tell if this is supposed to be a joke or not!
    Old folk, eh? Liars!
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18389
    Given that you have only guessed his age, he might have had a hard paper round, an illness or poor genetics.
    Maybe he could have been in his mid/late 60's & would have been at school in the early 1970's when he bought it?
    Aye, possibly. But I meet a lot of older people in my job and I would say he was definitely 70+
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18389
    Poor memory or just a lying old git  :)
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3964
    Maybe he was a teacher.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Early 70s, probably around '71 going by the serial number. (Although Gibsons serials from that period are notoriously inaccurate.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• BingManBingMan Frets: 35
    Like others have said, I think 69/70 was when the j50 went from slope shoulder to square... ain't no fifties one that's for certain

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    BingMan said:

... ain't no fifties one that's for certain
    Owner’s faulty memory most likely. I’ve had ‘differences’ with a couple of customers when asked to identify/value guitars which can’t possibly be as old as they - I think genuinely - ‘remember’ them as being.

I won’t be surprised if I have some wrong memories too, if not now then at some point!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson