Birmingham & Black Country people - 3 Shires Festival, live music 17th July

What's Hot
Hi all

I'm playing a short stint at a little music event at a church in Bearwood near Birmingham on Saturday 17th July. This year is a very scaled back affair, normally they've done a full three day thing with various creative events over the weekend but this year it's just a couple of hours of music from a few local performers. It'll hopefully be outside in the church garden area to allow distanced seating, and there will be the usual refreshments available (you can bring your own).

Free to attend but they are asking people to sign up for tickets for Track & Trace - http://www.tiny.cc/threeshires is the ticket website. 3 Shires Festival is the standard website.

Last year due to Covid we did an online festival instead, I've put my video (I'm Matt) below as well as a few others from the day.

It's not a big flash event, we are a humble bunch of people who do our best to put on some nice music, albeit music which is aimed at people "of an age" at a church!

Let me know if you want any other details from me :)

Here's some vids from last year:
Me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkg9sju5zZY

Others:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ6LrUbqcGA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvBt6o7Isu8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKM5MCJYaH0

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14322
    This year, will you be mostly playing guitar or piano? 
    Be seeing you.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    This year, will you be mostly playing guitar or piano? 
    I'm not entirely sure just yet - I think half and half as there should be the host's stage piano available as well so easier set up
    It's not a big festival, literally just a couple of hours of Acoustic music in the church garden but should be fun.

There may be videos taken throughout the event, and I may attempt a bootleg audio recording of the whole thing if the sound system setup allows me to tap into a line out. 

We shall be doing music suitable for an audience of a certain age (!), so sadly I'm not able to do any grunge or garage rock this time around haha but should still be fun. Will be doing the lines of the videos above but live in person
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    What is that Amy Naylor (?) is playing? I don’t know what that instrument is, it’s like she’s randomly waving her arms around and music comes out. Wow. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited July 2021
    What is that Amy Naylor (?) is playing? I don’t know what that instrument is, it’s like she’s randomly waving her arms around and music comes out. Wow. 
    @EricTheWeary it is a handpan! One of these Search results for: 'handpan' (hobgoblin.com)

I think it's a bit like a steel pan but instead of hitting the inside of a pan with a stick, you hit the outside with your hands.

She was amazing! There's loads more videos of her on that channel. But unfortunately she won't be joining us this year
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    @EricTheWeary it is a handpan! One of these Search results for: 'handpan' (hobgoblin.com)

I think it's a bit like a steel pan but instead of hitting the inside of a pan with a stick, you hit the outside with your hands.

She was amazing! There's loads more videos of her on that channel. But unfortunately she won't be joining us this year
    I thought ahh steel pan but then it wasn’t. 

Hope it all goes well on Saturday. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    It's certainly a unique sound, and she played it brilliantly.

Thanks for the good luck wishes - I'll need all the good fortune I can get!
    Well it all happened earlier, went very well though I feel very hot and dehydrated and exhausted. Went well.

Top of the list for me was the guest singer who smashed out an incredible version of Stevie Wonder's "As" but unfortunately I didn't film that one on my phone (silly me) but this was pretty cool all the same:

This was another chap, an original song

And me, if you're ready to face it (brilliant camera angle I know)

I really need to learn how to not speed up when I'm nervous, and to get used to listening to loud speakers rather than my own natural volume.