How's everyone getting on with their Marshall Origins?

What's Hot
benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1395
I'm a Fender guy through and through but fancy trying one of these, purely to see how it works out with my fuzz addiction. The Origin stuff seems like it might be worth a punt, especially considering they seem to be reasonably cheap second hand.

Thoughts?
How very rock and roll
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    I've had an Origin 20w head over 2 years now. Love it. And I only paid £250 for it new.

Mind you it's used at home so I don't get to wind it up much.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1395
    edited July 2021
    Philtre said:

Thats good to know, I would only ever be using it at home too
    How very rock and roll
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    Philtre said:

Thats good to know, I would only ever be using it at home too
    If you set it to Low and Master and Gain to 12 o'clock it's manageable. Or you could get an attenuator. Or, fuck the neighbours. After all it is a Marshall. :)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    I'm using a 20w head also and I'm a fan. I revalved it during lockdown (nos RFT ecc83s and Winged C el34s) and it's a bit more crunchy in full power mode now. Mine was £150 on here about 2 years ago.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Philtre said:
    I've had an Origin 20w head over 2 years now. Love it. And I only paid £250 for it new.

Me too, its a pedal platform, love it!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I had one its a fun pedal platform.

It's got very little gain and works best with an attenuator and a boost to really push it.

I have a DSL now which is generally a more flexible and easier to live with amp.
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2041
    edited July 2021
    Another home player, with the occasional visit to a rehearsal room for a bit of hooliganism. I still love it. I jumped on the badwagon when they were still pricy and paid £400 for mine, which stings a bit now, but hey as it's what I need, so be it.

I also picked up the matching vertical 2x12 for it off the forum for a very good price. It doesn't sound anywhere near as good through that than it does with my trusty oversized MJW 1x12 loaded with a G12H-30, but I put that down to the stock 70/80s, which I will probably replace with a pair of my favourite H30s. Here it is amplifying 'Minty The Gretschy'.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    McToot said:
    Another home player, with the occasional visit to a rehearsal room for a bit of hooliganism. I still love it. I jumped on the badwagon when they were still pricy and paid £400 for mine, which stings a bit now, but hey as it's what I need, so be it.

I also picked up the matching vertical 2x12 for it off the forum for a very good price. It doesn't sound anywhere near as good through that than it does with my trusty oversized MJW 1x12 loaded with a G12H-30, but I put that down to the stock 70/80s, which I will probably replace with a pair of my favourite H30s. Here it is amplifying 'Minty The Gretschy'.

What a cracking looking setup, wow duly awarded! 
    How very rock and roll
  • adaminoadamino Frets: 125
    Very happy with my 50C ,fantastic pedal platform with my Friedman pedals,Line 6 DL4 and
    Marshall RF-1  in the FX loop.
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    edited July 2021
    I'm loving mine after modding it according to this:
    (2) Marshall Origin 20 - Headfirst mod. Tones and modding guide. - YouTube
    Although it's not as good for clean now. I could see myself picking up an unmodded one at some point two have two channels
  • zedhexzedhex Frets: 191
    I recently got one, and it's played a couple of gigs and several rehearsals so far - I have a Marshall 20 origin, and a Laney TT20 as a backup. I've never needed the Laney yet, and the Marshall spends much of its life cranked. Good solid little amp.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6636
    zedhex said:
    I recently got one, and it's played a couple of gigs and several rehearsals so far - I have a Marshall 20 origin, and a Laney TT20 as a backup. I've never needed the Laney yet, and the Marshall spends much of its life cranked. Good solid little amp.
    Glad to hear its working out for you!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    I’ve just been listening to this…

https://youtu.be/NHMp2AkP0ms

…and even with the proviso that you have to crank it way beyond domestic levels to bring it to life I like it, enough so that in spite of my Blackstar Series One being able to make a pretty fair job of that sort of sound with the clean channel cranked up I’m actually quite tempted!
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • I've had the 50C for a couple of months but only used it with a band once so far. Happy so far but looking forward to a couple of rehearsals this week to wind it up again. At home with the gain and master at 12, on 5W setting is about as much as I dare, it definitely opens up on 10 and 50W settings.
    Follow up question (Disclaimer; I know sod all about speakers)

I have a zilla 1x12 dinky cab fitted with a Celestion G12-65 (Heritage I think) which I currently use with my Fender Pro Junior. Would this speaker be a good pairing with the Marshall 20 watt head? Online reviews seem to suggest it would be but as always, I'd be very interested in hearing the views of guys on here. 

I'm not looking to achieve tonal nirvana but don't have the cash to be buying a new cab right now.
    How very rock and roll
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    edited July 2021
    I have a feeling Angus Young uses (or used) the G12 65 so on that basis,  it should pair nicely with a Marshall...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Used my 50C at practice last night. 10W setting with master and gain cranked = awesome noise. 
    Was a tad loud for the room so dialled it back and supplemented with a Joyo Brit Sound. I love this amp!
  • kossofffankossofffan Frets: 540
    Late to the party, however my OR120H is arriving tomorrow:)
  • kossofffankossofffan Frets: 540
    What a complete package this little 20H is. Rich sounding, dynamic response to pick attack & guitar volume. Plenty of gain (for me) without even engaging the pull on the gain control. 
    Adding just a Cali 76 & reverb is enough really, but not had much time to introduce the full pedalboard into it.
    More play time tomorrow :)
    Very pleased so far with it indeed
    What a complete package this little 20H is. Rich sounding, dynamic response to pick attack & guitar volume. Plenty of gain (for me) without even engaging the pull on the gain control. 
    Adding just a Cali 76 & reverb is enough really, but not had much time to introduce the full pedalboard into it.
    More play time tomorrow :)
    Very pleased so far with it indeed
    Nice, glad you’re enjoying it! 
    How very rock and roll