Alternative to the JVM410

What's Hot
I'm Gassing hard for a high gain amp - pretty sure the Marshalls are what I'm looking for and I'm super impressed by the 410H.

I would probably be happy with a combo too - so, do the JVM combos match up to the 410H?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    Watch Rabeas latest video. He does a great JVM demo and mentions he only likes the 410.
  • So.... insert my stock "The Satch version is better" comment.

But also - there aren't a lot of amps out there quite like the JVM. The JVM truly does have so many amazing tones in it. It's unique in that it offers 3 modes per channel, so you get 12 modes essentially. And they're all good. Not a duff one amongst them.

The original OD channels have tons of gain. So dial them in with your ears, not your eyes.

There are plenty of 3 to 4 channel amps though. Diezel VH4 is the obvious one to compare to the JVM as well, given the modded-Marshall heritage.

I recently got a JVM410HJS. Originally I was going to get a Mesa Boogie Badlander, but money was tight, so I had to go 2nd-hand with the JVM. Best choice I've made recently!

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    What do JVMs go for these days?

I'm having so much fun with my DSL that I kind of want one although I really don't need one at all!
  • RockhardRockhard Frets: 127

I'm having so much fun with my DSL that I kind of want one although I really don't need one at all!
    Mate just sold very good condition 410H £550 went quick .

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My satch model cost me £850 2nd hand. Bloody steal tbh.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    My satch model cost me £850 2nd hand. Bloody steal tbh.
    Rockhard said:

That seems a good price for such a flexible amp. 
    I'd probably need something like a Waza box to use it at home though I guess.
  • My satch model cost me £850 2nd hand. Bloody steal tbh.
    Rockhard said:

That seems a good price for such a flexible amp. 
    I'd probably need something like a Waza box to use it at home though I guess.
    I'm using it with my Suhr Loadbox IR at home. It's sick. Utterly sick.

Bye!

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    Friedman Runt?

A lot more expensive than just buying a JVM....but even after buying the Runt which ticks all the boxes, I'm still looking at JVM's
  • Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 405
    I bought a JVM410h and it's excellent. Still want a 2203 JVM800 though. ;/ 
  • So the combos aren't as good? 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    My favourite is the JVM205H so YMMV! To my ear I think the mids are a bit more "classic" voiced than the 410H, might just be perceived from the extra low end push of 100w.. Still really want a JVM! Great amps, a lot of flexibility.
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    I have the 205 head and wasn't a big fan of the OD channel which is the OD2 on the 410 - it has a low mid boost that doesn't sound classic at all IMO.
    I modded it to OD1 voicing and also changed a couple of plate resistors for less compression, I'm pretty happy with it now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DaiganzenDaiganzen Frets: 101
    JVM 410H owner since feb. This amp is a beast and deserves more love
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    The only thing that springs to mind would be something like an Engl Powerball. Very flexible like the JVM but doesn’t sound like one
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    TTBZ said:
    My favourite is the JVM205H so YMMV! To my ear I think the mids are a bit more "classic" voiced than the 410H, might just be perceived from the extra low end push of 100w.
    I also prefer the JVM205C to the heads - even the JS - it's true that I am a 'combo guy', but I thought it had looser and more open bottom-end (but still more than enough of it, for a Marshall) and more vibrant vintage-sounding midrange.

I can certainly understand someone who likes that bolder/tighter metal sound not liking them though, or not as much as the 410.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MatthewShredderyMatthewShreddery Frets: 861
    edited July 2021
    I'm not really all that bothered by having  loads of features - that's actually something that puts me off the 410H.
    The main attraction for me with the JVM though is that glorious lead sound. 

tFB Trader
    Which of the 4 channels does the 2 channel one have?
  • I think that the 2 channel versions only have the clean and crunch channels.

Bye!

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    Which of the 4 channels does the 2 channel one have?
    It has a combined clean/crunch and an overdrive, I think it's meant to be a blend of the best bits of all 4 channels but with less options. Comparing them back to back I just preferred the 50w for some reason, although OD1 orange on the 4 channel is awesome too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ahhhhh, is red mode on the crunch channel on the 2-channers, equivalent to red mode on OD1/OD2 on the 4 channer then???? The manual isn't clear tbh.

Bye!