Rum and coke…

What's Hot

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    English Harbour - 5-year old.

You won't be disappointed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:
    I got a bottle of Pussers from work last year.   That was dangerous stuff!

That's very excellent. Makes gorgeous cocktails and is good to drink as it comes, if you want that cloying sweetness that comes with a good dark rum.

Last night I had some whiskey, 101 proof wild turkey. Good stuff - I like wild turkey, it's quite a dry, rye-forward bourbon and the 101 proof is, if anything, more rye peppery-ness.

No rum in house atm but I also have a nice gin called McLeans. It's slightly blue in colour and has a fairly floral flavour. Bloody expensive stuff, but with covid I am on stay cation and a £40 bottle of gin costs much less than a hotel room!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    My ex worked with a Jamaican guy who really knew his rums. He once took us to a rum bar in London and proceeded to educate us… I’ve never had such a ferocious hangover. He loved Appleton’s, turned out he’d lived very near to the distillery as a child. 

He’s written a semi-biographical book about his early life on Jamaica. Good read, very descriptive and quite erotic  if that’s your sort of thing. The Pink House at Appleton by Jonathan Braham. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16091
    Anybody tried Rum,Sodomy and the Lash ?
    just asking
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18729
    My 'rainy day' bottle of Appleton's V/X. Discontinued/rebranded as 'Signature' in around 2015 & not in a good way IMHO.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3900
    Good to see some more Appleton fans. Thought I was alone. It really is a cut above.
  • CFHCFH Frets: 456
    Was drinking homemade Zombies lastnight, now thats a rum drink.

3 different rums and absinthe amongst other things.

These are lethal. I remember visiting a bar in London once where the rum was Wray and Nephews, on top of everything else! I remember the first one and not a great deal more... 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    What Appleton should I get then? I haven't tried them before but can get Signature or Special in the supermarket. 
  • DiscoStu said:
    What Appleton should I get then? I haven't tried them before but can get Signature or Special in the supermarket. 
    They're all good, even the more affordable one. It has that very banana-forward flavour that is typical of Jamaican rum. Very nice!

CFH said:
    Was drinking homemade Zombies lastnight, now thats a rum drink.

3 different rums and absinthe amongst other things.

These are lethal. I remember visiting a bar in London once where the rum was Wray and Nephews, on top of everything else! I remember the first one and not a great deal more... 
    Wray and nephew is an overproof and is one of the ingredients of a zombie. If a bar was using that as one of the non-over proof rums I dread to imagine what it cost and how bad it tasted. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18729
    edited July 2021
    DiscoStu said:
    Appleton has a naming strategy that Gibson & Fender would be proud of 
    Special is the basic one, but still decent, the Signature is the best overall flavour/value for money that they produce IMO. The 8 & 12 Year olds are a bit better but have a price premium, so I'd say start at the bottom & work up the range.
    I have some 21YO that I got for the price of the V/X in a shop mixup that they let me keep  It's very nice & more of a dark style, but there are loads of others around for a lot less that are at least as good.
    Edit: I should say that I usually drink my rum neat or with just a few drops of water to open up the flavour. For cocktails I can't see the point of using good sipping rum to be swamped.
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1577
    Woods 100 on it's own is nice. 
    I like the fact you can feel it evaporate on your tongue, like decent poteen. 

That's a libation that has yet to be invented alas Rusty .. :)
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    A good rum is a treat to behold, Appleton 12yr old (though not, strangely the 21) or Diplomatico Reserva or Santa Teresa 1796 or Plantation Stiggins Fancy (I shit you not, a pineapple rum that is superb). And CocaCola is also a refreshing drink, ice cold and freshly fizzy.
    But to paraphrase a wise, wisened old chap, "When I drink rum, I drink rum. When I drink coke I drink coke"
    Putting the two together highlights only the lack of taste in the drinker :)

Adam
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4914
    I've been hearing good things about Black Tears Cuban rum - anyone tried it?

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Any love for Mount Gay?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Any love for Mount Gay?
    Very much - it's my favourite rum. Imagine my horror when I asked for some in a bar and was brought some mixed with coke...

I did try tasting it before I sent it back. Vile.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    Can’t be dealing with coke in my rum. Bit of ice and maybe a twist of lime will do me. 
    just ice
    the best dark rums are amazing, and stupidly cheap compared to other world-class drinks
    edited July 2021
    Deadman said:
    One of my best mates is Jamaican and he bought me a bottle of Appleton Estate last Christmas. Best rum I’ve ever had.
    it was stunning 20 years ago, and won the world IWSC gold awards as THE best rum, it's what got me into rums. Sadly not as good now.
    (I also go started on rums via my best mate who is also Jamaican, but unusually is a posh Jamaican  - which is interesting when we  have visited Jamaican fast food places - i never knew there was a posh Jamaican accent - there is a different accent for the rich Jamaicans,)

Recently I'm preferring Diplomatico reserva from Venezuela, you can get it for about £36 from amazon or waitrose if you time it right

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3900
    @ToneControl thanks for the info. One for my Christmas list if nothing else :+1: 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    Yeah Diplomatico is lovely. Harvey Nicks used to do a 'Diplomatic Immunity' cocktail using it and it was absolutely killer.
    edited July 2021
    My 'rainy day' bottle of Appleton's V/X. Discontinued/rebranded as 'Signature' in around 2015 & not in a good way IMHO.

the one I used to get was "Appleton Special estate" I think, which was the IWSC winner, cost about £20 in Oddbins in the late 90s