Anyone gigging with a pair of 20watt amps?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• pmgpmg Frets: 298
    15w is definitely useable for a band unless you want cleans.  Even light breakup would be debatable depending on the amp make and how hard the drummer hits.  Are you going wet dry?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    I've gigged with tiny terrors a while ago, and am now gigging a SC20h.
    The SC20h seems louder than the terrors were, those 5 watts seem to make a difference.
    Played all kinds of places with it and it's been great, 
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 823
    The SC20h seems louder than the terrors were, those 5 watts seem to make a difference.
    What do you use to boost it (that is if you do boost it!) Mr P?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I think it's not so much the slight extra power - which would only give you another 1.2dB - and more that the Marshall has a less compressed response and a more open tone with less mids. The TT is all mids and gets very dirty very quickly which makes it too compressed when you're trying to get maximum volume out of it.

While the power valve type makes far less difference than popular belief says, the fact that it's EL34s and not EL84s makes a difference too I think, especially once they go into overdrive - even though both amps are cathode-biased.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ftumchftumch Frets: 679
    Well I bought an origin 20 today so we will see what's what in the studio in a couple of weeks! Sounded good in Andertons anyway :) 
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 593
    ftumch said:
    Well I bought an origin 20 today so we will see what's what in the studio in a couple of weeks! Sounded good in Andertons anyway :) 
    If its for the band i think it has been bought for then it aint gonna be loud enough mate!

@rockmonster ;
    stick with what ya got bud!
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 823
    leerocker said:

@rockmonster ;
    I know you’re right Lee! :)
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 679
    leerocker said:
    ftumch said:
    If its for the band i think it has been bought for then it aint gonna be loud enough mate!

@rockmonster ;
    Yeah it is Lee, you may be right but we'll see.