I Have a Small Knob

What's Hot
GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
Bought one of these things today. Yes I know - I could have built my own blah blah, just use a volume pedal blah blah. But I didn't. I bought this. And it's bloody great.

If you're not in the know it's just a simple passive volume control that you stick in the effects loop - adding a master volume.

This has made a world of difference to using my Blackstar HT5 MK2. While the pot tapers are mostly fine on the Blackstar they can be a bit fiddly at the very quiet end, a bit on/off. This fixes it and I can run the pre-amp volumes much higher. One interesting thing was I got to hear what it sounds like when you wind the clean channel all the way up - the result a surprisingly pleasant breakup. 

Another side effect of its use is that I've actually found loads of sounds on my much-maligned Boss OD-200 drive pedal. With Blackstar clean channel louder than I'd normally use it at home many of the drive sounds in the pedal actually sound really good. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631
    You could make a good case for putting a 'gain' control between each stage in a guitar amp plus EQ at every stage* to allow players to tweak the gain/OD path ad.inf!

In reality, in the cut throat, highly competitive world of the gitamp market, compromises have to be found and "you can't please all......." I am glad you have found a solution for your 40, an amp that sells well I understand and is good value.

* See Merlin Blencowe, "Git pre amps"

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4094
    I use a volume pedal in my fx loop and it's splendid I don't need an attenuator it does all I need.  My full fat tone at whisper volume. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72320
    I’ve never understood why so many amps with more than one channel have no overall master volume control. It’s really annoying to have to re-balance the channels if you want to turn up or down.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    ICBM said:
    I’ve never understood why so many amps with more than one channel have no overall master volume control. It’s really annoying to have to re-balance the channels if you want to turn up or down.
    This.

It’s one of the things I really like about my Blackstar Series One. Four channels[1], each with their own volume (as well as gain) control and an overall master volume, and, up to the levels I’ve been able to try the channel levels track really nicely together when you wind up the master so once you’ve got them balanced how you want them you really can threat them as set’n’forget at gigs… 

[1] Well, two channel-and-a-half’s due to to Clean/Crunch and OD1/OD2 having shared EQs…
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    A few days since I bought my little knob. Still absolutely delighted with the results.

My amps sound fabulous. Some effects I had considered ditching now sound fabulous. It's great. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31588
    I went for a knob enlargement so I can roll it up and down with my foot. 
    :)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom