NGD: An elusive Ibanez and stellar experience at Mak's (where Ivor Maraints used to be)

What's Hot
danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
edited July 2021 in Guitar
Had a weekend with family in London and a few instruments I was hoping to look at. Unfortunately due to distance and schedules I wasn't able to see a couple of them but as Mak's was within walking distance from where I was so managed to pop in. 

I've always liked older Ibanez instruments, both Jerry Garcia and Bobby Weir used them, helped design the Super 80 'Flying Fingers' and I just generally find them to be very well made. I did at one point own a late 70s Artist AR-100 that was a boat anchor and an AS-80 which was nice but also heavy. One day I might score an AS-200, Scofield or a Weir model, or both....

Mak used to be the manager at Ivor Maraints and the operation he's running now is a bit pared down, less option paralysis overload and everything hanging on the walls seems to be hand-picked. I ended up visiting three times during the weekend and playing this guitar and a Joe Pass JP-20 back to back. Mak was very attentive, low pressure, lovely to chat to, a keen player and Jazz learner, knows his stuff and made the whole experience worthwhile. I wouldn't hesitate to go back for an Eastman or a Comings or any one of the brilliant acoustics he's got in the flat-top room. I had my choice of amp, a closed door and plenty of time to consider them.

I ended up bringing this one home, only made between 1977 and 1978, the elusive Jazz Artist 2635. Had promised myself no guitars for a long while but liked how it played and sounded so much that it had to come home with. 

Ibanez-Artist-2635-18-2048x2048 Ibanez-Artist-2635-17-2048x2048 Ibanez-Artist-2635-12-2048x2048 Ibanez-Artist-2635-7-2048x2048 Ibanez-Artist-2635-2048x2048 Ibanez-Artist-2635-2-2048x2048
0reaction image LOL 29reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11305
    Man that is GORGEOUS.  Not my style but just beautiful. Ibanez Artists were, back in the day, top-drawer.  Still sticking hot needles through my knees as punishment for selling one (2663).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Very nice!  I'm not into jazz guitars but it's a fine looking thing and I like the way it has the same details as the Artist solidbodies.
  • Wow, I am not one for figured maple but that thing is drop-dead awesome. Looks in tip-top nick as well! 

Happy new guitar day! 
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
    A beauty, HNGD! He announced your one on Facebook a few weeks ago and I’d drooled over it a few times while browsing. I bought a Comins archtop and a Henriksen Blu amp (which would sound great with you’re Ibanez btw) from Mak earlier this year. Top service.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5653
    What a gorgeous beast that is. Congratulations on a top find. 

Totally agree about the “stellar service” from Mak’s too. 
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    edited July 2021
    That is gorgeous, no surprise you went for it . Would it be crass to ask how many pennies you had to part with for it? My guess would be about £1200?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18384
    Bummer, I'm just getting image ? boxes (Mac OS, Safari)  :'(
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    That is gorgeous, no surprise you went for it . Would it be crass to ask how many pennies you had to part with for it? My guess would be about £1200?
    I wish!

https://www.maksguitars.co.uk/collections/archtops-semis/products/1978-ibanez-artist-series-2635-w-ohsc
    Bummer, I'm just getting image ? boxes (Mac OS, Safari)  :'(
    Hmm odd @Kittyfrisk they're in Mak's page as well I just linked to above

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18384
    Yeah, weird but these things happen (probably my system/setup).
    Screenshot

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    Yes, getting the little boxes here as well, but I've gone to the site and - blimey Fred, that looks fabulous. Congratulations!
    Call me Dave.
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    Lovely looking new guitar. Very Happy NGD!
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    Gorgeous!
  • CoffeeAndTVCoffeeAndTV Frets: 433
    That is filthy! I’m triggered. HNGD!
    Yeah, weird but these things happen (probably my system/setup).

DB1 said:
    Yes, getting the little boxes here as well, but I've gone to the site and - blimey Fred, that looks fabulous. Congratulations!
    Cheers :) might have fixed it, may have pasted the wrong code at some point.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    I can see the pics now! <3
    Call me Dave.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 850
    I think between that and the Joe Pass, you picked the right one. 
    And a bargain at that price for what is essentially a very superior and quite rare MIJ L5.
    Congrats ;)
    jdgm said:
    I think between that and the Joe Pass, you picked the right one. 
    And a bargain at that price for what is essentially a very superior and quite rare MIJ L5.
    Congrats ;)
    Cheers @jdgm but I'd say it's a fundamentally different instrument to an L5. It's a bit of a cross between a few guitars. The fretboard (ebony) and 5 ply maple neck is certainly in L5 territory. So is the obvious L5 tailpiece and ebony bridge. The body however is 175 through and through, laminate maple all around, parallel braces and what looks to be a thin mahogany reinforcement/block between the two braces, about 1cm tall, glued to the inside of the top. I'm not sure if ES-175s have this.  The Joe Pass was lovely and being a bit smaller bodied, quite comfortable to play, but the centre mounted HB, although quite distinctive in its tone felt a bit limited. They are also available for sale in some quantity at any given time should I wish to find a nice clean one at some point whereas the 2635 is scarce.

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    I wish!

https://www.maksguitars.co.uk/collections/archtops-semis/products/1978-ibanez-artist-series-2635-w-ohsc
    Still worth it!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 850
    Ah didn't know that - it's the tailpiece that made me think of it. 
    Looks beautiful from here.... :)