3D Printing

What's Hot
Having bought a few 80's Marshall amps, the one thing that seems to be a recurring cosmetic issue is the plastic end caps on the handles. In the process of removing them they invariable get broken. The style is long since discontinued, but I like the plain simplicity of them. I was pondering whether or not it was possible to 3D print some replacements. I can run my digital callipers over the broken ones that I have, reproduce in Sketchup and export as an stl or obj file from which I could get them printed.

Has anyone had any success in printing bits for their guitar/ bass/ amps? If so, recommendations on material selection, finishing and any pitfalls would be much appreciated.

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• m_cm_c Frets: 1239
    If you can create a suitable STL, I can print a couple In petg for you try.
  • That would be most awesome, and very much appreciated! I'll get to work on the modelling front and drop you over a link.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    My son did me some pedal toppers in Soviet grey and some in translucent once we found a couple of pedals had their LEDs too close to the switch.
    He's also made me a knob puller which I actually used in anger last night. 
  • WBT2079WBT2079 Frets: 87
    My friend did a strat pickguard and 3 single coil pickup covers in a lovely gold from spares I gave him, must say I was quite impressed with the test pieces. Just needed the plans tweaking slightly as they were about 1mm out between the holes in the pick guard and the covers.
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    I would go for ABS for material 
    Don't touch that dial.
  • tanihhiavlttanihhiavlt Frets: 659
    normula1 said:
    He's also made me a knob puller which I actually used in anger last night. 
    Pics or it didn't happen ;)
  • oo-er missus! go on, show us yer knob puller Phnarr Phnarr!!
  • A quick update on this post, @m_c very kindly sorted me out with 3D prints from an stl file that I created in sketchup. If onybody wants the stl, to print their own, message me and I can e-mail it. I also have a test piece which Moray sent me before he printed the final pieces. I can post this on so that you can check for fit before printing. I don't need it back, so forward on to anyone else who needs it.

I'm doing a bit of post processing work (sanding, filling, priming and spraying), at the moment, I'll put some pics up when they are done.
  • Work in progress, but I think these are going to come out remarkably well!

The 2 in the foreground are the raw unfinished prints. The mustard colour has been sanded and primed (probably should have used black filler primer, but I could only get yellow) and the top right is the original broken end cap. The finished one has been sprayed with Halfords matt black paint - probably needs another couple of coats to be on the safe side.

Once again, big thanks to @m_c for the 3D printing.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1239
    They're looking good now.

I did try cleaning the bed to get a better finish on the flat surface, but I think I've abused it for too long with the other parts I print for it to ever be smooth again.

I also found another one, which had got stuck in some paperwork, so if anybody wants one to try, it's currently cluttering up my desk.
    I did think I had printed 10, but could only find 9, so printed an extra one.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    If you have one, I'd gladly pay you for it.  My original Silver Jubilee combo is missing one.