Amp in a box pedal for straight in to PA

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4131
    Joyo British sound , joyo American sound, Sonicake rockstage,Sonicake twiggy 
      Tech 21 fly rig , valet on Dapper FX strip .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 833
    ICBM said:
    I use a Mesa V-Twin. It has a whole catalogue of frustrating annoyances*, but it's still the best-sounding thing for this job I've ever heard. I've owned three of them - one twice, so four times really! - and the annoyances always made me sell them, but having finally realised that there's really no substitute for the sound I've learned to live with it and this one isn't going anywhere...

*Not least - it's huge, heavy, ugly, takes a non-standard power supply, has a noticeable switching delay from bypass to on, when you're using it direct to a PA the bypass mode is *mute* (and is easy to hit by accident), the power jack is in a stupid place and easily damaged, one of the most useful features is hidden under a plate on the bottom, and so on and so on. But it sounds brilliant!
    It’s high time Mesa  brought out a modern version of this with all the modern gizmos!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    edited July 2021
    The Palmer Pocket Amp is a neat solution, you get a trio of 'amp' choices/settings. A handy swiss army knife to have for the price.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5405
    Walrus ACS1. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    timbuk02 said:
    The Palmer Pocket Amp is a neat solution, you get a trio of 'amp' choices/settings. A handy swiss army knife to have for the price.

That looks suspiciously like a SansAmp GT2 copy with a couple of extra connections!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Born2BMildBorn2BMild Frets: 18
    I'm very happy with my sansamp acoustic flyrig. So much so that I've flogged off my Mooer pedals and am thinking of getting the bass flyrig too.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    The new Thermion Zero looks nice... Got approval from Pete Thorn.
    Looks cool. I didn’t know it was on Kickstarter. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thermion/thermion-zero-dinamic-hybrid-amplifier/
  • EreforGuitarGearEreforGuitarGear Frets: 70
    edited July 2021
    I’ve currently got 2 Atomic Ampli fireboxes (v1) and a Massive Unity 1964. The fireboxes are quite good and offer a variety of tones if you spend time dialling them in. My pedal board uses an ABC-Y pedal to mix any/all of the 3 to give a lot of tonal options.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/206091/bit-of-an-experiment-going-ampless#latest
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2320
    Tech 21 blonde.  
    It's easy to use, works well with pedals and is nice and small.

I ab'd it against a line 6 hx stomp and also a torpedo captor X thingy (allows you to plug a valve amp without speake into a pa).

It was very close and the tech 21 won in that it was sooooo easy to use. No menus . Set the pedal to what you want and then turn the speaker sim on.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
    Just to reinforce the tight-wad approach, ran an American Sound straight to desk last week and got some very surprised compliments from the guy running it. Just had it at the end of a small board with the usual suspects in front.
  • @BobTheSalmon I have an Iridium (with box and power supply) for sale in the classifieds, if you fancy it? Open to reasonable offers.
  • tanihhiavlttanihhiavlt Frets: 659
    What do amps usually come in? 

That said I shoved an umble and black 65 into a 1590BBX box :) 
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 191
    I recently bought a box like this to act as an emergency in case my amp ever failed on stage. I wondered about the Iridium, but since I wasn’t going to use it all the time, I balked at the price. 

Also, I was attracted by a box which had an XLR output - that way it would be an easy swap onstage in an emergency,

i ended up buying a NuX Solid Studio:

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/NUX-NSS-5-Solid-Studio-IR-and-Power-Amp-Simulator/3V4O?origin=product-ads&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9O6HBhCrARIsADx5qCTOXK2SKvXUz3MsLvQGLd6S3SLhp1a-9U8cX6xQDKUx7rx9gwZi0WAaAncCEALw_wcB

• dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    Another vote for the Joyo American Sound and if you spend another £23 on the Tomsline amp sim pedal you have a very capable gig box amp and yep, it does take pedals well!